Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerpoles and color coding  (Read 2794 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »

There's an interesting letter in the new QST (from K0BG), on color coding Powerpoles <tm> to prevent mismatches of current capacity.  It sounded like a good idea to me, though I'm not using Powerpoles, not yet.  Might make a good new article on the K0BG website! 
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »

I use power poles on most everything, and love them.  I ccomyou spend the4 to 50 bucks for theered handled  crimpers.  the $9 crimpers are  really no ggood. I use the red crimpers, (West mountain radio , among others sells the good ones) and often use a small zip tie to hold the ones I want  permenant together.I I get 100 sets  at a time for abou $65 a bage. this is 100 red, 100 black, and 200 centers, and usually some roll pins too.  I get the 30 amp ones.  that usually does most to the shack needs.  you can also solder them, but the crimp is a quick and strong way to use them.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »

One might also use Alan's method of color coding but via colored heat shrink over the wire pair adjacent to conventional Red & Black colored Powerpoles. Nice idea, either way.
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »

It is an innovative approach for sure.  But all the colors are still 12v circuits.

I went another route, I use black always for ground, of course red for 12v, green for relay circuits, yellow for signaling.  Other ideas come to mind...

I would think it would be more important to identify the voltage/signal type rather than the current.

But to each his own...

Carl - W9PMZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 04:22:29 AM »

Actually is in on my site.

The original article appeared a year ago, and they just got the H&K printed. If you go to Anderson's site, you'll see that the colors are related to voltage. But like Carl mentioned, everything (or almost) we deal with is a nominal 12 volts. Whether you match the color to the fuse, or some circuit function doesn't matter, but it does make it easy to trace if nothing else.

It is also interesting to note, that the red/black combination is all most dealers stock. That is why I buy them from West Mountain, as they have every size, color, amperage, etc.

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »

I've been buying PowerPoles from www.connex-electronics.com/ for several years.  Good prices, fast shipping, and they have all the colors, sizes and PowerPole accessories (like panel mounting hardware).  Just my 2-cents worth.

Phil - AD5X
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »

Another thing I find interesting Phil, is they (PP) have changed the way amateurs wire things up. For example, the new TenTec transceiver has chassis mounted ones for the power connection. And too, you can build up multi conductor plugs, in almost any configuration.

If there is a bad point, it's the fact the poor engineer who designed them, probably got paid a mediocre salary!

W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »

"If there is a bad point, it's the fact the poor engineer who designed them, probably got paid a mediocre salary!"

Undeniable truth in life #24924,

Most engineers who work as engineers get paid mediocre salaries...

Carl - W9PMZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: