Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amature radio in the military  (Read 23017 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

The host country's requirements have to be met in addition to the military command's requirements. Even a U.S. Navy ship with club station had to cease operation whenever we left international waters unless we had made legal arrangements with the host country.

Being in the Military didn't get you any special licensing privileges beyond what any civilian had.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »

most  military  locatons have a club station..   and in  foreign countrys that have had long term  bases, also have  club stations..

my experience..         Hot zigidy ONE  american boy
  and  my club           easily taken  TWO  usless soldiers.

them were the days..    early  60's
KG5UN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »

I got my ticket while I was stationed at Ft Sill, OK back in 1989. I lived off post so my ham station was of no interest or concern to my commander.

I did however make my very first contact from my AN/GRC-122A Radio Teletype rig in the motor pool. Fired up the AN/GRC-106, threw the 15 foot whip in the air, strapped on the leg key and worked a station in Windsor Locks, CT on 15 meter CW.  It made for an interesting QSO for sure!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »

While deployed overseas I was getting grief from my CO because his aircraft's HF radio wasn't working correctly and I kept signing off the maint sheet saying it checked out okay. I brought him out to the aircraft, check into the intercon net, and got him a phone patch to his wife at home. End of radio compliants. Then I got to ask some specific questions and explain HF propogation. Turned out he was trying to contact a station a few hundred miles away using a 15MHz frequency.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: