Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of FCC enforcement  (Read 6553 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »

It is my understanding that these amplifiers can legally be offered for sale, it's just illegal to buy one and use it. Pretty Dumb!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »

It is my understanding that these amplifiers can legally be offered for sale, it's just illegal to buy one and use it. Pretty Dumb!

I think you are mistaken. FCC rules, particularly Part 2, prohibit the *marketing* of external RF amplifiers that are not certificated for use in the service for which they are marketed.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »

Most of what you said is fairly accurate.  However,  I have read where some certain things like a percentage of cash seized during drug busts do go back to law enforcement for enhancing equipment.  Too bad the FCC enforcement division does not get at least a percentage of the forfeitures and fines.  I believe we would see an improvement in enforcement.

That is a whole different ballgame. Please don't try to lump CB amps in the same category as drugs, etc.

Unless the CB amps are inflicting problems on the ham bands that directly affect you, or interfering with you, then don't worry about it. It is not your problem. Leave the enforcement to the enforcers. If the interference is illegal use, and is directly impacting you, then file a complaint and go up the chain of command.

I can't speak for you because I don't know you, but we have some local hams here that that think they are cops and can harass people. The ham license does not give hams the right to any enforcement. They have to do it like anyone else. File a complaint.

And if you are not encouraged by FCC enforcement, or lack there of, then it is because of funding and manpower. So join the rest of the other gov't depts without proper funding and manpower.

Nobody lumped CB amps into the same category as drugs. I was stating an opinion,  that just like other law enforcement entities, the FCC should be provided a percentage of any collected fines, if those funds will result in direct enforcement.  Illegal junky amplifiers are everyone's problem.  For legitimate users of the radio spectrum, we don't need the additional noise/interference from IMD and harmonics.  From a safety standpoint, I don't like the fact that some moron without a clue about RF safety, running a 1kw+ mobile amplifier, can drive down the road subjecting others to high levels of RF, without their knowledge or consent.   Do you believe it is okay for someone to place an antenna radiating 1KW or more 5 feet away at eye level near a school bus load of kids, or near a person who is using medical equipment to sustain life?  I certainly don't, and anyone with a half a brain should agree. The best way to deal with any type of illegal activity has always been the same, at the source.

I agree with N2EY, I know of at least one case that involved a ham being accused by his neighbors of causing wide spread neighborhood interference.  Only after some detective work by the ham, it was discovered that someone on the CB band running illegal power was the culprit.  Ham antennas are more visible, we are the first ones to get blamed for interference of any kind. In this particular case, the person using the CB amp had discretely placed his antenna in a tree.

I never mentioned anything about personally doing any type of enforcement.  How in world did you get that idea?  The subject of the post is the lack of enforcement by those who are supposed to be doing it, the FCC.  Your post can almost lead someone to believe that you think it's ok for people to manufacture these amplifiers, as long as they are not causing you any immediate problem.

Your allegation is the first I have read in a really long time, of hams acting like cops trying to perform radio enforcement on their own. Further, I've never knew that harassment is part of an enforcement effort.  Nevertheless, do tell, so we can all read about what you are alleging.  Have you reported it to Laura Smith at the FCC?

AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »

The FCC has bigger fish to fry.  Heck I say a 30,000 watt (yes that's THOUSAND) amp on Craigs list the other day.

http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/screen-shot-2011-06-3.jpg
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »

There is also the "official observer" program and the amateur auxiliary. This is supposed to be an additional way to report violations/ interference up to the FCC.

http://www.arrl.org/amateur-auxiliary

To quote;
"The ARRL and the FCC have signed a Menornadum of Understanding that defines the relationship between the two. By aggreement, the ARRL Amateur Auxiliary does initial fact finding for the FCC, referring appropriate cases to the Enforcement Bureau for consideration. The FCC may also request the Amateur Auxiliary to gather information as needed. "

Tisha Hayes
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:04:34 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »

I agree with N2EY, I know of at least one case that involved a ham being accused by his neighbors of causing wide spread neighborhood interference.  Only after some detective work by the ham, it was discovered that someone on the CB band running illegal power was the culprit.  Ham antennas are more visible, we are the first ones to get blamed for interference of any kind. In this particular case, the person using the CB amp had discretely placed his antenna in a tree.

I had this happen to me once.  A big guy from the next block up pounded on my door one day loud enough to rattle the windows.  He told me he "was damn sick and tired of me interfering with his TV and stereo!"  When I asked why he thought it was me, he replied, "My neighbors said it HAD to be you because you have that big beam and tower in the back yard!"

By this time I had ramped up my emotions and explained to the guy in a tone of voice that got his attention, "that I hadn't been on the air for a week and could show him my logbook if he wanted to see it." 

I then pointed to the CB antenna sticking up over the roof of the house across the street from his house and suggested that he should talk to that guy!

I never heard anything else from him after that. 

I've known many CB'rs for decades.  I found that they have no idea how to operate a linear (legality not the issue here) almost always driving it so hard that they splatter all 40 channels and beyond....using power mics which over drives the audio stages causing splatter over 40 channels and beyond. 

This illegal equipment issue affects us all. However, the only thing we can do is to report it to the FCC and let them take care of it..... or not.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »

The FCC has bigger fish to fry.  Heck I say a 30,000 watt (yes that's THOUSAND) amp on Craigs list the other day.

http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/screen-shot-2011-06-3.jpg

I'm sorry but THAT IS AWESOME!!  Cheesy
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »

I have so many cbers that run amps in my area,its imposible to run 28.380 or around there for the splatter.I run alot of 10 and 12 mtrs.I am shocked at the power they run now.It use to be just 300 to 500 wts is what they use to run.I have heard and seen on the internet the amps that they have now.It is nothing to see a 3 kw am dead key.Wow,just go to you tube or craigs list.73s de n0zna
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »

In searching the net for a decent amateur radio mobile HF amplifier beyond the SGC and Tokyo Hi-Power, I was appalled by the vast number of obvious non type accepted amplifiers offered for sale over the internet.  It seems to me, the FCC would find it very easy to just go after some of these places for violating the communications act.  I just find it strange that the FCC isn't more proactive.

These are just a few that came up on a simple Google search.

http://noname216.com/

http://www.davemade.mobi/

http://www.xforceamps.com/

http://fatboyamp.com/   

http://www.wizardbuilt.com/

With their funding, just not a priority unless a retailer gets particularly egregious about selling them: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-984A1.pdf

G good-buddy. Thank for the tips ? Better to e-mail The FCC and note post sites here
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: