Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginia Beach Hamfest  (Read 4272 times)
N3WD

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

Wow, I really feel sorry for the organizers and vendors who went to the VA Beach Hamfest. Went in at 9:00 AM and was surprised that there was NO line to buy a ticket and only a few hundred if that in attendance. Was told by many vendors that is was way down from last year.
There were some great vendors there in CT Morgan, MFJ, Radio Works, Elecraft but not much more.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Bill, N3WD
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »

We were disappointed as well.....had a table last year and thought the new location and initial good attendance was a good sign for the future.  But when we walked in on Saturday at about 1100 the first thing we noticed was that there was a huge empty space where there had been tables last year.

WX was crummy that day so that may have had some impact on attendance.  Had high hopes for a better show....maybe next year.

Dino KL0S
KB2WIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »

It was raining Cats & Dogs Saturday! That I'm sure caused a lot of people not to come.
KE4NYV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »

Wow, I really feel sorry for the organizers and vendors who went to the VA Beach Hamfest.

This is exactly why we decided to sit out this year.  Besides, we went to the Baltimore Digital Communications Conference instead.  That was better suited for our product line.  I just had the feeling VB was going to be a ghostfest this year.

Previous years it has been held at the local community college, after leaving the VB Convention Center to the first time.  It was dwindling down year after year.  The people running the local community college were absolute pills to deal with (as a vendor coming in for load in/out).

We attended last year when they came back to the VB Convention Center.  I was there early for load in and the open space was already kind of telling of what the show would be that year.  I spent more in gas, than I took in attending.  I was not happy that they sprang an enormous electric drop fee on me at the last minute.  Without it, I would have been dead in the water since 95% of my products require an on-site demo to show you what they are and how they work.

I was licensed in VB at the age of 12 (mid 90's) and I remember the OLD VB hamfests, in the same venue back then.  There is NO comparison to the VB shows today.  Every major manufacturer showed up, AES, HRO and other huge vendors showed up.  You could actually go around and price check a radio in at least five booths or more.

Those days are long gone Sad

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: