Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB->Serial Adaptor Frustration  (Read 21688 times)
AD6KA

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »

Today I decided to start cleaning up the operating desk of extraneous cables & whatnot
and make sure all is running OK for CQ DX RTTY this weekend.

Imagine my surprise when NOT ONE of my THREE USB->DB9 Serial Adapter cables
worked AT ALL with my brand new Windows 7 computer.  This was bad, really BAD!
I had previously used a computer running XP, but it was already dead and gone.
No connectivity, no contesting!
I'll admit it I do not know a lot about computers, but have always been able
to hookup level controllers for rig CAT control, configure HF modems, Interfaces,easy simple stuff like that.
Then I remembered an old thread that recommended always using USB-Serial adapters
 that use a certain chipset, which some Googling told me is called FTDI Chipset
(whatever that is).

I ran down to the local large computer store (Fry's Electronics) and they had NO IDEA
what I was talking about. None of the adapter packages said  "FTDI" on them. One "salesman"
even said "This one WILL work with Win 7, even though it was not listed on package
as one of the supported OS's.

Anyway, I ended up finding them at Amazon and ordered them with two day delivery for the test.
I don't have the brand name in front of me, but they are listed as:
"USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset 10 Feet Supports Windows 7 64bit"

Will these probably work OK with Win 7 for CI-V control of my PROII and operating my HAL DXP-38?
(Yes, I already have the Icom CT-17  level controller.)
TNX ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
PS: Don't shop at Fry's Electronics. They are clueless..... and rumors
abound about them selling "grey market" merchandise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:43:55 PM by AD6KA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:25:58 AM »

It is all about the drivers, not the chipset itself. Any adapter you have had for several years is not likely to support Win7 unless that same adapter is still in production and drivers have been updated. I buy them by driver support not by chipset.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:32:38 AM »

I am a Mac & Linux user, so I can't tell you where to look to see what type of converter you currently have. Determining which one is easy for Macs & Linux. If memory serves correctly I think you might need to look at the add/remove hardware in control panel to see what is on the usb bus.

Either way, pretty much all usb/serial converters use either the ftdi or prolific chip set to do the heavy lifting.
You probably just need the correct driver for win 7. You can get a generic prolific one at http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
and a generic ftdi one at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

One or the other should work, depending on which device you have.

Alex/AB2RC
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

I have never had problems with the TRENDnet TU-S9, even with 2 of them hooked to the same computer.  I got them on Amazon for around $12.00.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

Thanks for all the great relies.
I tried the Prolific drivers but no luck.
I will go check out the FTDI drivers.

This whole thing sucks, but at least I didn't discover
the problem the day of the contest!
tnx es 73, ken  ad6ka
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »

Newer is not always better in computer OS world. When you migrate to a 64 bit platform never assume that devices will transfer. It is better than a few years ago when 64bit drivers were much harder to come by.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:32:33 PM by W8JX » Logged

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

I have heard of problems with the prolific drivers and have also experienced them first hand.  I have one of the USB Cat62 cables (not the Yaesu one) that I use to connect to my FT-817.  After just a couple of minutes of use, the virtual serial port becomes unresponsive.  I forget on which forum I read it, but lots of people were having the same problem and the general guidance was to stay away from any USB/Serial that had a chipset that required the Prolific drivers.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »

FTDI stands for Future Devices Technology International, the name of a company that makes devices like USB to serial adapters. Prolific is another company in this market. I would be surprised if either company made drivers (computer code) for another company's devices.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »

Weal, my FTDI CHipset adapters arrived today.
Good news: They operate ALL my serial devices under Windows 7.
BAD NEWS
They do NOT operate my HAL DXP-38 under Writelog and Windows 7,
and WriteLog.
CRAP:
I WISH I had done some more readingabout WriteLog and Win 7,
seems there are TONS of problems. An hours worth of Googling
produced some esoteric, very over my computer ability ways to make
it work.
I don't think that is going to happen.
ANYONE know an easy was to get Writelog, RTYYrite(WL's rtty program) and DSP to mesh?

OR  am  going to have to go to a completely new Windows 7 (hopefully) based
contesting program?

I do NOT need much, though writelog provided a LOT, I usedMAYBE 20% of the features.
I do not need a CW interface, I do not need to turn rotors and keep track of beam headings
(for my  vertical, hihi)...just lot of contest scorings built in and export to ADIF or cabrillo.
Would be NICE if I could use my DSP-38 with it too>

SUGESTIONS FOR NEW A NEW RTTY CONTEST PROGRAM AFTER 11 YEARS ONTHE SAME ONE?
thanks!

One thing I LOVED about Writelog was the copy screen. It had callsign recognition
(that worked fairly well) and if it spotted a prefix that was a multiplier for that band, it would
highlight it Yellow,if it was stll a good call that you hadn't worked, it highlighted it green, and if it was DUPE it highlighted it RED.

And all you had t do to import a callsign from your RTTY screen to your "LOG & Entry" windowwas click on that call.

I havenot looked at RTTY Contesting programs in YEARS.
Can you rtty Fna please give me some hintsbased on my above situation?
THANKS ES 73, KEN  AD6KA/5R8GQ
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 03:20:42 AM »

I run N1MM plus MMTTY on Windows 7 for RTTY contesting. I had to get FTDI USB-serial cables to keep things from crashing but once I did that, it works FB. The grab function makes it easy to log for both S&P and running. There are also a lot of mouse click/hover ways of doing it with N1MM that I don't use.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

With the advent of laptop computers that do not support the EIA-232 interface I was forced to go the USB to serial adapter route. I needed it for business reasons as my laptop is also used to program PLC's (programmable logic controllers) and I could not end up at a job site without working serial communications to whatever controller they are using.

I faced the same problem, my personal laptop runs XP, work laptop runs Windows 7 (32 bit) and my home computer runs Windows 7 (64 bit). I sometimes like to take along my TenTec SDR receiver packed in my luggage on business trips so a multi-use adapter was very important.

If you use eBay check out; 250758522510

I am not affiliated in any way with the seller. The adapter they sold me has about two feet of USB cable going to the black modular converter and then another six feet or so of EIA-232 cable. So far it has worked fine on my AOR 8600, TenTec RX-320 and a bunch of commercial communications gear (GE-MDS radios) and PLC's.

It is a little more expensive than the $19.95 specials at a computer store but so far it works fine. Some PLC's are very finicky about how they see handshaking signals (RTS/CTS, DSR/DTR, CD, RI) but this has coped well with them (so far).

-------------------
If you have several serial devices that you want to control you could go with a terminal server like a Digi Edgeport ($300 list for a four port model).

Tisha Hayes
AA4HA
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:59:44 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »

The real winner to all this is that the newest desktop computers very often don't support serial or parallel ports any longer. Video and USB are all they have.

KF7CG
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

If you have several serial devices that you want to control you could go with
a terminal server like a Digi Edgeport ($300 list for a four port model).
Thanks Tisha.
I do have a lot of serial devices & transceivers,
  so that  hub just may the way to go in the long run.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The real winner to all this is that the newest desktop computers very often
don't support serial or parallel ports any longer.
Video and USB are all they have.
True, David. And frankly I don't begrudge them the switch to all USB ports.
.....AS LONG AS ALL USB CABLES & ADAPTERS  WOULD WORK WITH ALL MACHINES!!
With the flood of cheap poorly designed and manufactured chipsets
from China, and no one writing updated drivers for them, the customer is getting the shaft.

I don't mind paying money for quality gear, but the way Ilook at it,
unless you ahve a Pre Win7 machine, buying a USB-Serial Adapter,
no matter WHAT the reputation of the manufacturer, is a crap shoot.

Thanks for the answers, I gotta run & figure out a way in the next few hours
to get on the RTTY test with a decent program..............
73, Ken  AD6KA
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

Ken,

I purchased this for Win 7, because many adapters did not have drivers for Win 7. This did, and has worked flawlessly with HRD 5.0 and my FT-950. Also works with N1MM.

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=420%2C482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

With the flood of cheap poorly designed and manufactured chipsets
from China, and no one writing updated drivers for them, the customer is getting the shaft.

They are not poorly designed just because they have no driver support for WIN 7. A lot of other systems they work with. When you buy a device for WIN 7 read the fine print on package first. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: