Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB->Serial Adaptor Frustration  (Read 23581 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »

They are not poorly designed just because they have no driver support for WIN 7. A lot of other systems they work with. When you buy a device for WIN 7 read the fine print on package first. 

I am pretty sure it was Prolific that offered no driver support for Vista and 7.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:49 AM »

Hello Everyone!

De Steve KB6HOH. I am a former CompUSA Computer Tech and Assistant Tech Manager. When employed we saw several issues with various UBS to Serial adapters due to Driver issues. While experimenting with a couple of them I came across one company called Keyspan (Now owned by Tripplite www.tripplite.com).
I currently have the Model USA-19HS. I have used it on Win98se, Win2k, WinXP and now Win7 Ultimate 32bit. Not sure which Chipset it is using but it works just fine. Now for us users of Icom Radios with CI-V CAT Interfaces, the Drivers verses OS can be a problem. Users of Windows XP and earlier can get away with using the Prolific Chipsets BUT not for Windows 7. Windows 7 seems only to like the FDTI Chipset.
A couple of years ago I bought a USB to CI-V Interface Cable off of Ebay. Worked fine on WinXP but failed on Win7. I did find that Radio Shack sells a USB Scanner Program cable for their Scanners.  RadioShack® USB-PC Scanner Programming Cable Model:20-546. This Cable does Support the FTDI Chipset and works very nicely with Win7 Ultimate 32bit and earlier OS's. I don't have Win7 64bit to try it on.
That my 2cents worth.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
 |
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »

If you have several serial devices that you want to control you could go with
a terminal server like a Digi Edgeport ($300 list for a four port model).
Thanks Tisha.
I do have a lot of serial devices & transceivers,
  so that  hub just may the way to go in the long run.
I only mention Digi because I have had experience with them. There are several others of the same (or higher) quality like Moxa and much less expensive devices.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Check to see if they have a web site where you can download new drivers. I've had good luck with the FTDI chip set because they have such a web site where you can always get the latest drivers. The CD that comes with the adapter doesn't always contain the latest drivers (probably been setting in a box for a while).

The driver is usually, but not always, the issue. I've run across some adapters that don't implement the control lines correctly and some that are just too slow. When in doubt, I always look for FTDI.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »

Will Do Bob:

I have downloaded a LOT of different FTDI drivers
for this fix, just no luck yet  Smiley
I have gotten HRD to work with these adapters,
ICOM CI-V, Rigblasters, just not the the HAL DXP-38 using
WriteLog. The RTTY Screen prpgram of WriteLog is called Ritty Rite.,FYI.

I have read through several pages of "Directions"
and "Patches" but I have no idea what most of them even mean,haha.
I figure I'll try to hookup with a local "WriteLog Guru" from their
mailing list or whatever.

Thanks again for all the tips & support.
73,Ken  AD6KA

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »

Whatever the chipset and drivers are for West Mountains RB Advantage its USB to serial works with WIN7 64 bit to a FT950 connected to the serial port. The built-in sound card works too.

I think that the USB to serial chipset in the RB is FTDI but I am not positive. Win 7 64 bit is somewhat of a problem with drivers but not nearly as bad as Vista 64 bit.

KF7CG
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 07:21:31 AM »

Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not always has the drivers we need as in XP. It seems that many developers have not yet written the software for it. I found out that many of my programs, which would run in XP, do not run in 7, even when I was running Virtual XP.
I have now a dual boot on my computer, and power up the appropriate operating system when I need it.
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »

I worked my way though the USB cable issues when I migrated from XP, to Vista, and now Win 7 64 bit.  My old eBay cables worked fine on XP, but quit on newer OS systems. I tried the Prolific supposed updated drivers and got nowhere.  For my Icom 7000 I ended up buying the cable (and software) kit from RT Systems (www.rtsystemsinc.com) and it worked fine.  They make memory programming software for most handheld and other rigs, and for each rig they sell the companion cable that goes with it. In other words, instead of a "one size fits all" USB adapter cable, they have a different one for each rig model.  At least that indicates to me they have done some testing on each one of the  radios they support. I bought both the software and cable for my Yaesu handheld, and my Icom 7000 and the cables also worked with other software such as Ham Radio Deluxe, JT65-HF and so on.  The kit was a little pricey, but it worked, and their programming software works well also.  The cables install on Windows 7 with Microsoft supplied (built in) drivers no problems. I am over the hump, at least until Windows 8.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »

I agree 100% with KB6HOH.
I use Keyspan devices exclusively now, after having been through Driver Hell with other brands.
And they have an excellent 4-port hub for well under the $300 of the other one somebody posted about.
Jim
KC9QVL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »

This usb to rs-232 adapter from Frys uses the FTDI ft232r chip. It has operated any serial device plugged into it. Running win 7 64 bit.
http://www.frys.com/product/5229677?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
You can find it in the component section.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »

Keyspan.....bad news there with Vista; literally hours and hours were wasted trying to get it to work with the latest, up-to-datest drivers downloaded right from the manufacturer's website.
I even repeated the downloads several times just in case I had a bad download.
In a desperate move, I went to a Radio-Shack USB-to-RS232 adapter and it worked first try.
73 Jerry km3k
WA4GIF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »

The best thing I ever did was to buy a 4 port serial board for my computer! I had it up to here! You can see my hand over my eyes! I always had trouble with the Prolific so bought the FTDIs and it worked until it got trashed somehow. I bought the 4 port serial board from Amazon (really imported from China) for $22 and it works great. No more problems  Smiley

Regards,

Butch - WA4GIF
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »

I bought the 4 port serial board from Amazon (really imported from China) for $22 and it works great. No more problems
I'd like to get one for my new HP-tower.
Just now, I was unable to find any $22 card from Amazon; if you can, please supply a company/part-number. Thanks.
73-Jerry-km3k
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

Just now, I was unable to find any $22 card from Amazon; if you can, please supply a company/part-number. Thanks.
73-Jerry-km3k

Have you checked eBay? There are a lot of cards listed (over 300 in the USA alone). If you do a search for RS232 PCI card, tick "USA only" and "buy it now" there are quite a few to pick from. One example is item number 150685840353 at less than $21 delivered.

You will of course have to check your motherboard for suitable slots, etc.

73 Dave
WA4GIF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »

Sorry it wasn't Amazon, it was eBay where I purchased it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170744713151

Qty Item Options Price
1 4 RS-232 Serial Port COM to PCI-E Card Adapter MOSCHIP
Item # 170697247882   $22.98 USD

They really did offer free shipping as well as the $22.98 is all that I paid.

By the way, it works just great and now I don't worry about disconnects or anything anymore! Smiley

Butch - WA4GIF
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: