Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-C Meter Kits  (Read 4978 times)
KD8DEY

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:54:57 AM »

Last year while attending some electronics classes I was in the market for a L-C meter and ended up buying one from MCM Electronics.

I was kinda disappointed (Didn't quite understand the range specifications) when I discovered that it didn't go down far enough to measure values like I would find in crystal radios etc.

Looking around I came across meter kits like the ones offered by
Almost All Digital Electronics And Electronics-diy that read the lower values but they seem kind of crude.

I just came across a review on Tronixstuff and came across another kit with similar pricing that looks to be more refined but I have never heard of the company manufacturing the kit.

Altronics k2533

https://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/tag/k2533/

All the sources I have come up with so far all seem to be outside the U.S. so I don't know if there are any state side sources available.

Anybody familiar with the company or meter
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:49:29 AM »

The kit makes a good impression and seems to suit your needs. I built the add on L and C circuits from the ARRL handbook which are used with the usually already available DVM. Of course it is worth while having a separate stand alone unit.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:41:17 AM »

I got the AADE one several years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. One suggestion that I made to them, but I don't know if they incorporated it, is to go to a low drop-out regulator IC: this lets you run the battery a lot further down. That's a mod that I did on mine. Much depends on how large an inductance you want to measure, and if it's outside the range of the AADE kit, I'd suggest building yourself a bridge.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:00:58 AM »

If you can find a used one, the Sencore LC53 is about the most useful LC meter out there. They frequently appear on eBay and if you need manuals I can email you a PDF of the operators manual and schematic.

From an old thread about a year ago where I listed that the manual was available I have been getting 2-3 requests a week from eHam readers for a copy of the manual. Even one that is not working is fairly simple to fix, it is a transistorized device and even allows you to work on higher voltage capacitors.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:13:44 AM »

If you want to have an L-C Meter for amateur purposes the LC 53 seems a bit pricey  Wink
By the way, isn't this the HomeBrew forum?
VK2TIL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:16:29 PM »

Altronics is a highly-reputable Australian company; they stock a wide range of electronics components and other items;

http://www.altronics.com.au/

The L/C meter, like many of their other kits, was designed by Silicon Chip magazine; SC is a highly-regarded VK electronics magazine (although not amateur/RF oriented).

If I wanted an L/C meter I would be attracted to the Altronics kit; I'm sure that it would be of high quality and performance.

However, I love my AADE meter; I've had it for many years now and it has always performed flawlessly.
W6WRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »

You can't go wrong with the AADE meter. I've had mine for years and wouldn't be without it.

Bill, W6WRT
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »

I built my AADE LC Meter about ten years ago.  It's one of the most used tools on my bench.  I always take it to the hamfests so I can identify caps and coils.  It's great to know if that air variable is good or not...before you buy it.

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »

Add another vote for the AADE meter.

Tanakasan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: