Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which rig?  (Read 9606 times)
KC8AHN

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:43 AM »

So in a week or so i will finally have the funds for a new hf rig since i had to sell the 7000 a couple months ago. Im looking at the ft950, kenwood 590s and icom 7410. I will be able to get only one and it will have to last me for years to come. I know the kenwood and icom both has usb interface built in which is a plus since im a digital op. 

Thoughts?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

It may be a matter of user preference but 950 is not in same league as other too are and would be a step down from them. The other two are both new radios and on the cutting edge for their price class. 7410 is a updated design and 590 is a all new radio. 950 is 4+ years old now which is a long time in DSP world.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:26:02 AM »

I did not realize the yaesu was a different class. To bad the local candy store does not have one of each on display.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »

I did not realize the yaesu was a different class. To bad the local candy store does not have one of each on display.

I have played with a 950 in past and was while not a bad radio I was not impressed but was by 590 and have not tried a 7410 yet. I am a Kenwood guy but would give 7410 serious though too. When dealing with analog radios (no IF DSP) being a older design does not mean much because they have been mature for a while but when you get into IF DSP rigs they are still not fully mature and in 4 years time a lot has changed and if you want IF DSP rig, get one with newest hardware in it. When you buy a new computer/laptop do you buy a new 4 year old one?

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

Have a look at the K3. It is a lot of radio for the money.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »

I have the 7410 and it is a fine radio. The selectivity and DSP noise reduction is almost magic. The receiver is very pleasant to listen to. The build quality and ergonomics are superb.  The USB port is very convenient and I don't notice any interferance from my PC like I did when I ran a USB-serial adapter and CIV cable.

I have only one complaint, just one - It has a 45 ms delay from TX to RX which makes full break-in (QSK) CW virtually impossible. Most hams will not care about that. I'm finding most CW ops don't seem to care about it. Unfortunately, I do.

Good luck,

Geoff
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:40:17 PM »

Kenwood TS-590.
Read the reviews in QST and here on eHam.net.
Check the Sherwood lab test results.
Best bang for the buck.
Mel - KS2G

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:46:46 AM »

Kenwood hit a home run with the TS-590 - that is what I would get. 73 Dave K1WJ  Cool
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »

One thing that may be a factor is cost. The FT-950 can be had for 1320.00, about 300 les than the Kenwood and almost 500.00 less than the Icom.I have had my '950 for 3 years and have been very happy with it, in fact, when it was recently damaged by lightening I didn't hesitate to buy another one. It is a very attractive radio, although this is quite subjective.The menu is not all that difficult after you play with it for a couple of hours and I feel I feel that the ergonomics are very good and its easy to operate even during extended on-air  sessions.Now, the receiver numbers are not quite as good on paper, but how much do you really need? Although not contest grade, I find it more than adequate for 90% of my operating, including casual contesting.The only time I really wish for more is during the various 160m contests, and anyone who has operated these contests will know what I mean!
        Reciever IMD performance is the hot topic but this is a measure of distortion generated INSIDE the receiver itself due to strong signals outside of the passband. But most of the QRM that we're trying to eliminate is just adjacent to, or inside the passband.This is caused by less-than-clean transmitters and poorly operated amplifiers and receiver IMD performance has little to do with eliminating this type of interference.The '950 is more than adequate for reducing this type of interference.Which brings me to the next point and that is the IMD performance of the transmitter.The '950 has the cleanest transmitter by far,6db better than the Kenwood using the ARRL standard.So if you pride your self with having the cleanest possible signal, then that is something worth considering as well.
         The bottom line is that you will be very happy with any of these radios depending on your personal preference.(Which is better, Chevy, Ford  or Dodge?) Just don't get too hung up on any one parameter without looking at the entire package.Good luck and enjoy.
                                                      73, Greg
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »

One thing that may be a factor is cost. The FT-950 can be had for 1320.00, about 300 les than the Kenwood and almost 500.00 less than the Icom.

It should cost even less just like a older computer because the IF DSP is pretty dated by todays standards. The others cost more because they are new designs and better radios. You get what you pay for.

W2WAW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 02:17:52 AM »

If you get a chance, listen to an Icom 7200. It has a top notch receiver. IMHO. Good luck 73 mike w2waw
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

The Ten Tec Eagle costs about the same as the TS590 and puts up the good numbers on all bands, not just the ones where it does downcoversion.  I think you can get a narrower roofing filter for it as well.

73s John AA5JG
I agree with the Ten-Tec Eagle.
KP2Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 04:31:19 AM »

"The Ten Tec Eagle costs about the same as the TS590 and puts up the good numbers on all bands, not just the ones where it does downcoversion.  I think you can get a narrower roofing filter for it as well."

The Eagle may be a fine rig, but with tuner, NB, and filtering to match the 590 the cost is at least 25% more.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »

Well to update i ended up with an icom 7410. Just waiting on the kid to come home to help me unload it since im on crutches and cannot walk at the moment. 
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:49:48 AM »

If you look at Sherwood eng. list the TS590 ranks very hi compared to some very hi dollar radio's, yes the K3 would be slighly better but mostly for the most demanding cw op's and when filtered up comes at a higher price. Icoms 7410 look's nice but it seems that Icom didnt wanna go down the down conversion path like kenwood did and although it apears nice its slighly off on rcvr performance. The TT eagle seems like another rig that was half baked like the Icom, nice rcvr design but not a great total package, when you look at all that the rig can do and its got an excellent rcvr that were the 590 shines, kewood did there homework on this puppy and if there is another higher end kenwood comin out well the 5000 just might have some real competition cause just look what the 590 does for a list price of $1800. If kenwood is smart they might target the $3-$4K range for there next bigger brother to the 590, they have been away from the HF marketplace as far as being a leader for a long time but just maybe there comeback will be a real strong one. For the record I like Yaesu rings I have an old 1000MP with mods and roofing filter as well, this was a great radio back in 1998 and still not bad for todays standard but its dated comapred to what out there in the $2K range. Now if Yaesu was smart they would change the 950 and the 2000 series to down conversion, make them all standardized as far as filtering but make the filters options, the 2000 and the 950 are dated designs and for that matter so is the Icom 7410 along with many of there higher price rigs as well. TT well they have always been out in there own world, they have there loyal customer base but seem to slighly miss the ballpark with there eagle.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: