Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 Mobile: Perfect "Extension Cord" for LDG IT-100 Antenna Tuner  (Read 4153 times)
KF9ZA

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »

I recently purchased an Icom IC-7000 HF/VHF/UHF Amateur Radio tranceiver.  I also bought a LDG Electronics IT-100 Antenna Tuner.  I planned to run my IC-7000 in my SUV mobile.  I had a limited amount of space under the dashboard.  I had enough room for the radio under there, but not enough room for the IT-100 tuner.  I decided the best place for the tuner was the center console of the SUV.  Only one problem.  The supplied LDG interface cable is only 14" long.  I needed about 3 and 1/2 feet from the back of the radio to the plug in of the IT-100.  The LDG instructions that came with the radio say they only supply the one type of interface cable.  The instructions tell you how you can "homebrew" your own longer cable by buying a DIN connector and a Molex connector and get out your soldering iron.  Now, personally I'm not that good with a solder iron.  I have a hard enough time doing RF connectors, not the very tiny pins of a DIN & Molex connector. 

I did a little Googling and found out that the LDG uses a common 6 pin DIN connector used for some computer keyboards.  In fact I found out that the "Cables To Go - 29613 - 6ft Ultima PS/2 M/F Keyboard Extension Cable" is a cable used for extended length for keyboards.  It has the same DIN connector as the LDG.  So....I ordered it from Amazon.com.  I hooked it up to the LDG tuner....and it worked perfectly !!  So, I connected the LDG Interface cable to the keyboard extension cable.  I used some radio shack heat shrink tubing to shield the exposed metal where the male LDG connects with the female end of the extension cable.  In addition I used three small tie wraps to tie the male and female connection together.

Love my new radio.  Love how the LDG tuner tunes up on everything.  Even got it to tune up 12 meters on my 15 meter ham stick.  Also, love the fact that I didn't have to do the extra soldering that would have been really, really frustrating for this old ham.  All for only $8.50.  Smiley

Here's the link to the Amazon page for the cable:  http://sk4.us/nvGAWb
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

When you use an auto coupler to retune any antenna not resonant on the band you're using it on, you run the risk of arcing the coil. This is especially true with hamsticks because of the close coil turn spacing. What's more, as the SWR through the coax increases, so do the losses. If you used an AH-4 instead of the LDG, you might even get the hamstick to tune on 40 meters. But the combined losses would be virtually 100%.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »

Agree completely with the above. If you are going to use the tuner to multiband monoband antennas like the hamsticks antennas you would possibly be better off dispensing with the hamsticks altogether and replacing them with the longest whip you can get away with.
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:21:06 AM »

I hear you guys.  No more tuning 12m on the 15m stick.  Just ordered a 12 stick.  Thanks!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

I hear you guys.  No more tuning 12m on the 15m stick.  Just ordered a 12 stick.  Thanks!

You're in for some fun!  Twelve meters has been a ball lately, in the evenings!   I'm planning to set up an antenna for 12m mobile this weekend, if I have the time. (From the car I've been mostly on 15 lately, which has also been lots of fun.)
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »

You're in for some fun!  Twelve meters has been a ball lately, in the evenings!   I'm planning to set up an antenna for 12m mobile this weekend, if I have the time. (From the car I've been mostly on 15 lately, which has also been lots of fun.)

I hear ya' AC4RD. Since we have no "candy store" here in Indianapolis, I ordered the 12m stick online.  So, this afternoon I put the 15m stick on my Blazer and worked both Portugal and Croatia on 15m sitting in my driveway!
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

Just found out my link to Amazon to get the cable is a bad link.  Here's a good link:

http://amzn.to/19zzNgn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: