Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham radio auction site  (Read 8818 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »

http://www.hamradiohq.com/

This came thru a radio club email. It is being run by K2HQ. I don't know anything about it, but I have about had it with ebay.

Ebay now charges upwards of 12% (including paypal), and they also now charge that percentage on your shipping charge.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »

QTH.com only ask for a donation. Generally $5 will do.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »

There are only 24 items listed for sale on the site.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »

Good deal. I did not know.

That other website came thru an email in our radio club. I am assuming it is brand new.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »

When you win an item at auction, it means you paid more than every other person thought it was worth. That pretty much means you overpaid. Also, it's very easy to game an auction with "shill" bidding that artificially drives up the price.

Asking prices on the classified site here and swap.qth.com are almost always lower than what the same thing finally goes for on ebay. And you can often get the item for even less than the asking price. But at least the seller gets to keep the entire amount of the payment.

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

Just because this site exists does not mean it is totally legitimate OR that you have any protection as a bidder.
I wouldn't touch it with a 20ft. pole.  Not worth the risk.

Just my humble opinion,

Greg
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »

When you win an item at auction, it means you paid more than every other person thought it was worth. That pretty much means you overpaid. Also, it's very easy to game an auction with "shill" bidding that artificially drives up the price.

Asking prices on the classified site here and swap.qth.com are almost always lower than what the same thing finally goes for on ebay. And you can often get the item for even less than the asking price. But at least the seller gets to keep the entire amount of the payment.

One of my biggest gripes about eBay is the fact that it operates in a totally unregulated environment meaning no licensing is necessary to be an "auctioneer".  Many states require anyone selling at auction to be licensed.  This process involves serving an apprenticeship and testing to be a (licensed) auctioneer in many states.  While I am absolutely NOT in favor of more government control, having a license helps to prevent a lot of "the games" from being played.  If a licensed auctioneer uses shills (fake bidders) to drive up prices, or any of a number of other tricks or misdeeds, he will lose his license and be stiffly fined.

Legitimate auctioneers have argued for years that eBay (and other so-called auction services) need to be regulated (licensed), but eBay's army of lawyers And massive amounts of money have, so far, been able to keep them from having to comply with any such regulations.  They seem to be doing this by claiming eBay is NOT an auction.  In recent years, you will see eBay goes to great lengths to avoid using the word "auction" in their advertising.  

I suggest everyone look up the meanings of the words "auction" and "auctioneer".  If eBay and those selling items in a similar manner are NOT in the auction business, I ask then, WHAT exactly are they doing?

Meanwhile, in many areas of the country, traditional auctioneers have to maintain their licenses ($$$$) and take regular courses in Continuing Education to "protect the public" from being ripped off by them!

And, everyone should understand that being an auctioneer does NOT just require one to be a fast talker.  In my state, a thorough knowledge of auction law is necessary as there are many regulations regarding the sale of many items (like firearms, real estate, etc).  Familiarity with the court systems, federal laws (UCC codes), local laws and much more is required to pass the exam.

Tom, KR4BD
Licensed Principal Auctioneer
Commonwealth of Kentucky

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:11:02 PM by KR4BD » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »

Just as I spoke, HRO announces their own ham radio auction site. Go figure.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

First let me say I love auctions. I have bought and sold on EBay for years. While I do not agree with a lot of there rules, all in all I still like it. I have always done well in both buying and selling. I use a common sense rule on buying. E bay allows automatic bidding on your behalf up to the a maximum you specify. Whenever I bid on an item I research it, and then place a maximum bid I am willing to pay for an item. I then do not look at the auction till the item is sold. If I win it great I got it for my price, if not I look for something else. When bidding on an on line auction or a live auction I use commen sense and do not get carried away as some people do, and wind up paying way to much for an item. As for licensing we have enough government intrusion in our lives. I feel I am smart enough (maybe) to make up my own mind without the government looking over my shoulder on everything I do. Let me protect myself from scam artists and auction sites with shill bidders. I do not need the government to help me with this.

Just my opinion.

73s

K2OWK
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »

K2OWK said...

As for licensing we have enough government intrusion in our lives. I feel I am smart enough (maybe) to make up my own mind without the government looking over my shoulder on everything I do. Let me protect myself from scam artists and auction sites with shill bidders. I do not need the government to help me with this.

As I stated above, I couldn't agree more about my dislike of government intrusion and more rules and regulations.  But IF you wanted to be an auctioneer in about 30 of the 50 states, and in many municipalities, YOU MUST BE LICENSED...PERIOD!   But for some reason, eBay gets a pass.  The whole purpose of the license is to protect BOTH the buyer and seller from
fraudulant auctions or auctioneers skipping out with the consignor's proceeds or doing other misdeeds.  Some years back, in my state, an auctioneer who was licensed, skipped the country after conducting a big auction taking all the money before paying the consignors.  The state had to step in and pay all the consignors from the Recovery Fund established for such an occurance.  Each year, in addition to paying our license fees, auctioneers must pay into this "recovery" fund so that no one gets ripped off.  Some states require their auctioneers to carry insurance bonds for this purpose.  Additionally, each year, we must attend Continuing Education sessions to keep up with the latest laws pertaining to auctions.

Bottom line:  Is it right that established auctioneers have to "pay to play" to work in this field while others get a FREE PASS and have no guidelines to adhere to when dealing with the public in an auction?

Tom, KR4BD
(and yes, I am a Licensed Auctioneer in Kentucky)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:47:00 PM by KR4BD » Logged
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:50:58 AM »

For or against eBay, the problem I found is that in many cases it is the only place I can find what I want. It is easily said, "buy from a ham that you know", or "buy from a reputable merchant", but what if they do not have what you want? Very often I find on eBay what I was looking for, while none of the other more reputable sites had it. Specially if you are looking for more older items, like I often do, or need just a few small things.  I have been taken, or payed more than I thought I should have for things I wanted badly enough, and it seems I never got a "bargain" as others seem to get, but I know the pitfalls, and live with it.
K2HQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »

I Saw this Forum in a Google search and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Steve Miller K2HQ and I am the owner of HamRadioHQ.Com. Just to put people at ease, I am a Retired Corporate Pilot (not by choice) who is tring to re-engineer his career. I have decided to try my hand at a business that I enjoy, which is ham radio. By some of the comments it appears that some people don't like auctions, well I hope I can change your mind. I have purchased most of my ham radio gear through Ebay over the years, but like most people the cost of listing items on their site has driven me and others away. Also like any classified ads, auction sites, or ham fests, you can get the short end of the deal anywhere. In life, there are risks that should not be taken. I don't like to purchase big ticket items in any of these sites unless I can drive to pick up my item, some people don't have a problem with this.  I Know that some people wont try my site because I will eventually be charging between $2-$5 dollars for  listing a item, but that is OK. It has alot of positives when you sell in a auction forum, more then negatives. My bigest problem is not the buyers, it's finding the sellers to list.  Thanks again Steve K2HQ 73
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

I like QTH.com and eHam.com and I support both of them BUT (there is always a but) I stick with eBay for my buying because there is feedback to look at. There is nothing like that here or on QTH.com.

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »

I use EBay all the time to buy and to sell. The sellers feedback is somewhat usefull. The buyer feedback is a total wast. Remember the seller can not leave negative feedback, but the buyer can. When I sell I will not normally leave any feedback, wast of time. When I buy I sometimes leave feedback if a seller is excellent, otherwise I don't bother. I guess you can get some information from feedback, but don't count on it.

73s

K2OWK   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: