Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Kenwood TS-590 is a great digital rig  (Read 3654 times)
KG0MN

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »

I picked up a new Kenwood TS-590 last week and what an easy radio to setup for the digital modes.  The radio is relatively new but it is supported in Ham Radio Deluxe and most other digital software, the part that I find really handy is the fact that the radio has a choice of using either the build-in Serial or USB port.  I opted for the USB port for the simple reason that you need no connecting audio cables with a CAT cable, all you need is the USB cable.  When you set the radio up in HRD and you get to the point where you choose which sound card to use you simply go to the pull-down list and tell it to use the pseudo sound card in the TS-590 and set the speed to 115K.  The radio has other cool features such as the ability to control the radio over the Internet and using VOIP as well.  So if you are in market for new radio this might be good one for you if you run a lot of digital modes as I do.  Yes the radio is a bit high dollar but do as I did and sell some junk and save the quarters. 

GD DX
Kevin - KG0MN
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »

The 590 is a good rig and more revolutionary than evolutionary and a sign of what it yet to come. It is not perfect (no rig really is) but a solid rig.  Enjoy. Smiley

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
LX2GT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:04:06 AM »

When I wanted to start again with ham radio about a year ago, also also decided to get me something new, and got myself a TS-590. Always enjoyed digital modes, and with this rig it is so easy to operate, and no cables hanging around nobody does need. I also looked at the K3, but was not quite ready to spend that much.

Now, If I only could find some more willpower to re-learn CW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: