The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM radio /mm on the river or in the sea - difference ?  (Read 3826 times)
UT3IM

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:19:13 AM »

Hi , gentleman !
There is an interesting discussion is on FORUM of popular RUSSIAN SPEAKING site QRZ.ru . People speaking about the difference in call signs of a HAM station , which transmitts from ship or boat . We are in OCEAN or in the SEA - speaking ...../mm / This is clear . But we are following into a river . What MUST be an identification ?   /mm as before , or /m ?
In RU or UR licences written , that - /mm from SEA ( ocean too ) & /m if just MOBIL . What do you think about this ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:24:05 AM by UT3IM » Logged

73! Igor MISHIN  " GARY "
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »

UK is /mm on the seaward side of the low water line, otherwise /m.
Maritime mobile is only available to full (Advanced) licensees, and requires the written permission of the vessels master. 

73's Dan.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

My understanding is that /mm is for TIDAL waters. If the river is not tidal where the vessel is then its /m. I dont know if that is the same as what you're saying Dan?

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
UT3IM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »

TNX !
So , as I understood in UK - if boat is on lake -..... /m , then goes down the river - ...../m , and only when it arrives sea ( ocean ) it may ( or must ? ) become ..... /mm and only after getting written permission of captain !

And what in USA or somewhere else ?

M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »

It may, /mm is an optional suffix in the UK, and once in international waters the frequencies are per the IRU regions IIRC.
You have me now, I cannot remember if the permission is needed from the captain/skipper or the master (not  always the same person!).

And no, tidal is NOT quite the same thing as 'seaward side of the low water line' on the admiralty charts!

I suspect that while this all tends to be subject to minor national variations, the general idea is going to be the same in most places.

I should know this, it is in the advanced exam that I am studying for.
Regards, Dan.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »

a couple of points, antennas over salt water doe much better than antennas over fresh water.  and also most of the time, a MM contact does not count for an award.  Most awards state that you have to be on land to claim credit.  This is probably dure to th efact, that if you are off the coas of some where on a boat, you can claim MM for any adjacent  land mass, so being in the ocean off  Los Angeles, you could call MM for calif, or hawaii or new zeland or japan as you are in water that touches all of thows places at the same time.  good luck and have fun
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »

IIRC Within territorial waters you should be operating under the CEPT reciprocal licensing arrangements for the country whos waters you are in (with whatever that countries rules for /mm are), so no, claiming .jp while sailing off la is not really cricket.

Operating in international waters should be done with your home call sign with an optional /mm (Helpful to tell operators with beams not to point them in the usual direction).

73's Dan.
UT3IM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »

Thanks for all .
We found in our rules the same descriptions . Deep inside . Just need buy boat and follow Jerom K. Jerom ...
Smiley

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:27:39 AM »

The answer is that you follow the rules of the country in which you are operating.

In the US there is no requirement to identify any differently whether you are a fixed station, on a bicycle,
boat, car, or on foot.  In fact, it is illegal for me to sign WB6BYU/M or /MM, because M is a valid
international prefix, and that would be interpreted that I am operating from Great Britain.

If I am in international waters on a boat registered in the US, then I would identify with my IARU Region.
If the boat is registered in any other country, or in the territorial waters of any other country, I operate
under the regulations of that country, and identify as they require.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:27:53 AM »

The UK have also changed their rules and there is no longer a need to identify as portable or mobile any longer although many do. I still do whilst out mobile HF because it can help in a pile-up quite significantly to sign /mobile or /portable. Often I have heard a station telling everyone to QRX so they can work a /m or /p.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: