Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reporting scammer email addresses PLEASE DO THIS  (Read 15116 times)
KD0RUR

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »

There's currently no way to track down scammers but at least we can slow them down. As most of you know, criminals are masquerading as hams and mostly replying to "want" ads with legitimate looking email addresses usually containing a ham's name or call sign. These are usually gmail, hotmail or another flavor of free online email services because they're easy to setup and anonymous.

The only thing we can do is make their lives a little harder by reporting the scammers email address to the providor in hopes that they'll shut the address down forcing the scammer to try and find another vulnerable ham and steal their identity.

In an effort to help the community out I've assembled here links to the reporting forms for several of the most common free email providers. Good luck and I hope this makes a difference for at least a few people... If any of you have any additional links to report scam emails please post them.

Choose the provider the criminal is using and click the link or follow the instructions to report the email.

For Gmail:  https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse?rd=1

For hotmail.com, msn.com, and live.com: Send an email to report_spam@Outlook.com with the junk message as an attachment. If you don't attach the junk email, their ability to take action against the sending account will be severely impacted.

For ymail:  Send an email to abuse@yahoo.com with the junk message as an attachment.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »

In all my dealings with hijacked accounts, there are TWO THINGS that the ISP's always requires.
1) the OWNER of the account has to contact them to get the account closed. (even if "a friend" contacts them)
2) the content of the email doesn't mean all that much. What they REALLY want is the HEADER!

Otherwise, I agree...

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »

the header is vital.  but if you want legal protection on a shutdown, you need proof of evil.  attaching the whole thing on your comments of how Scurvy R. Atfink ripped you off provides the ISP protection against an army of shysters.

remember, this is a business to the crooks and schnooks.  those who have a great business in fleecing the sheep have a tame lawyer to roar and file frivolous lawsuits in the venue of their choice, where an idiot second cousin is probably a tame judge.

even if the tame judge slaps a takedown back, SuperISP can now go to appeal and petition the Lawyers Responsibility Board of that state to take the slick off the bench.

got to anticipate how hard it is for a gunslinger to clean up the Wild Wild Webbiepoo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: