Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with Icom?  (Read 3757 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:25 AM »

I sold a 756 Pro III and got a yaesu FT 950.. I cannot for the life of me understand why Icom keeps making radios with the speed control such a difficult thing to adjust. That stupid little pot on the bottom of the radio face. I actually think that full break in is better on the Icom radios than this FT 950 - much better... But Depending on what's happening on the bands - contest, slow sender, etc the FT 950 is a joy to use when I want to do something as simple as changing the speed of my sending. I would go back to Icom in a heartbeat if they did something about this.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:57:53 AM »

I have to agree that the ease of changing speed on the FT-950 is a real joy.  The 950 is my  first "large" radio.  The last rig I used was the original Icom 706.  The 706 is nearly entirely menu driven and I find I love the knobs and switches on the FT-950.  Perhaps Icom will catch up.  73, Mike.
NT0A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »

The obvious solution that comes to mind is to not use the iCom internal keyer. Use an external keyer into the straight key jack on the back of the rig. If you like scratch building, the Accu-Memory keyer featured the AUG 1975 QST although dated is excellent. I built and used one for years. Mine still sits next to my Kenwood boat anchor transceiver. If you prefer kits, the Winkeyer is a good one, and if you just want something off the shelf, there are a ton good units.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »

I've got the tiny keyer speed knob on my 746Pro also. I've learned to live with it, and I keep both a straight key and paddles connected - if I need a quick speed change, I just go for the straight key. There are front and back panel key/paddle jacks, and you select what they do in the setup menus.
Oddly enough, my little 703 for backpacking, uses the tuning knob to change speed - but it takes a couple of button pushes to get it to happen - and it even displays the CW keyer speed in WPM. No rigs are perfect - at least no rigs that I can justify in my budget, so pick the ones I like best and live with the quirks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »

For CW I use mostly my Ten Tecs.

Big front panel knob for code speed control, and the front panel screen (display) indicates what speed you set it to, in WPM.  It's accurate.
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »

I'm curious - which Ten Tec model do you have?

For CW I use mostly my Ten Tecs.

Big front panel knob for code speed control, and the front panel screen (display) indicates what speed you set it to, in WPM.  It's accurate.
[/quote]
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:14:40 AM »

Use and external keyer, a Pico-Keyer. You can make the knob as big as you like.

paul
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

I'm curious - which Ten Tec model do you have?

I have two: The Jupiter (purchased new) and the Orion (purchased used).

They're both the same with respect to the keyer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: