Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower Talk is Now Antennas Towers and More ?  (Read 5385 times)
NJ3U

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »

Guys, I nearly had a heart attack this AM when I went for my daily dose of Tower Talk on EHam Forums !

Did I miss the "memo" alterting us to the pending move ?  I had seen a couple of threads over the recent past discussing the name "Tower Talk", yet did see the change coming.

Either way, I'm OK with the new name ( not that you needed mine or any others OK ! ), as it is more about the Antenna than the Tower.

Keep Up the Good Work, Thnx 73 KC2UML Rory
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »

I strongly suggested that a year ago and the subtopic at least was then changed to mention antennas.  I don't have a tower; I bet the great majority of hams don't.

The move will get some of the antenna discussion off the heavily used "Elmers." Some Eham newcomers have reported thinking that Eham didn't have an antenna topic.  Now the antenna topic is called "Antennas..."  Duh!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »

It's a good move.  The contesting.com TowerTalk email reflector is a very popular resource so I'm sure the name made sense for people who knew the email reflector.  But I'm sure a good fraction of eHam users have never used the TowerTalk reflector (which, like the TowerTalk forum here does NOT limit itself to towers, but to antennas in general)

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »

Yay, Tower Talk has been renamed.  About time!  I'm strictly a horizontal wire guy and I always felt a little tower-envy.

Bill in Pasadena
(working, slowly, on my homebrew W3DZZ.  Thanks, Jim!)
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »

It took me a few days to find it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »

It came about due to a suggestion made in the "Posting in several different thread catagories" thread.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »

Gee, I wonder who came up with "narrowing the subject under a given title" to reduce multiple posts?  Grin
Now we need separate listings for wire antennas and ground mounted antennas.  Wink
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:52:31 AM »

Now we need a forum on "long live ladder line" <j/k>.

It was a good move and hopefully if people read the forum headers then more posts will end up in the proper places.

Or we can rename "Antenna Restrictions" to "Antenna Restrictions and not "coming out" to your neighbors as a amateur radio operator."

Maybe covenant restricted operators can watch the movie "Stalag 17" and put up a volleyball net made out of chicken wire in the back yard.

-- all meant in good fun --

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:57:43 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »

Narrowing the subjects to be discussed under a title not only benefits the original poster to get the desired responses, it also benefits the readers who can go to a selective title to get information on specific subjects they are interested in.  Wink
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »

Cheesy
It is not as if someone would dare to combine CW and digital into one forum. That would be the equivalent of the Ghostbusters "don't cross the beams", "Cats and dogs sleeping together", "all of the atoms in your body exploding at the speed of light", "the end of the world".

Maybe some of the load will come off of elmers and into more relevant and focused discussions.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: