Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st CW QSO  (Read 7575 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »

The SKCC is also a bug friendly group.
And, there are people like me who would love to work other guys trying to master the bug. Like you, I practice off the air, but I am not good at it and don't use it on the air very much. If you go to the SKCC Sked Page mentioned previously, you can post that you are learning the bug and are looking for someone who wants to help by working you on the air.

I worked a guy a couple nights ago on 3.550 (a SKCC calling freq.). He encouraged me to use my bug and we had a very nice, long QSO. I guess I can send code with a bug good enough for someone to copy what I am sending, but to me it doesn't sound like good code. But, when I find someone who understands that I am learning and is willing to put up with it, I am delighted to use it. It's kind of a dilema: you need to make contacts to learn and improve, but you are so bad you hesitate to do it.

FWIW: I have no problem at all being spotted on the RBN using a bug to call CQ. Which I occasionally do although if someone answers me, I usually chicken out and switch to a straight key or a keyer because I don't want the other op to have to suffer through listening to my bug sending.

When I was a Novice years ago, I was fairly proficient with the Bug, and am relearning to use it now. In fact, so far, all of my QSOs have been using a Bug - however, at the end of an evening I will get out the keyer and paddle and play around with it and think about using it "next time"...but, I never do. It is weird...I feel kinda guilty it seems so easy so I rarely get off my behind and use it. Not trying to start a flame war about what is better than the other, just relating my own experiences.

BTW, I occasionally see myself on RBN using a Bug but when I do the rare CQ using the Keyer it shows up all of the time. I know I am getting out fine with an XE2, JA and T32C contacts last weekend, so it must be my sloppy keying (but it sounds sweet to me!).

Working the QRS frequencies is helpful and the FISTS and SKCC channels are helpful too.

Don
KF7QZB
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »

Keep using the bug! I used paddles for 30 years and went to a bug 4 years ago. It is much more fun than paddles, I am not good but it is fun trying. And as long as people can understand you that is fine.

paul
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: