Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old tv show 'flying doctors"  (Read 2514 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »

Hi, folks . Had another old show attack. Was there a show called flying doctors? I thought it took place in Australia and they used amateur radios to contact doctor to remote areas. Just curious. kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »

I looked it up on the internet.   duh, sorry,  I guess I remember watching old black and white episodes, but may have seen older movie  when was kidAnway, the reason I brought this up was I thought there was one that showed ham antennas around the world or something that involved them relaying a message to the plane or something, or I may be thinking of another show .kg4ymc
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »

Don't rember that one, but I remember "Sky King" as being
pretty spiffy.
Ken  AD6KA
Yeah, and the one with the scuba diver..... Sea Hunt? Not Sure.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »

Ken, show was sea hut  with loyd Bridges. There was one episode( mabey more) that was filmed at silver springs in ocala. A man steps out of boathouse with a rifle and takes a shot at mike nelson. They had the prop up for sometime before abc and state brought springs. Another cool movie to see, not ham related really is old bw 'dambusters" . Ok so much for tv trivial, don't remember if dambusters had any code or radio stuff in it , guess normal flying war stuff. 73 kg4ymc   p.s. for awail used to feed monkeys along siver river that had  been left over from tarzan movies, think   local uproar over them being killed or " relocated". long time back.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »

Dambusters is a classic. The only reason you don't see it very often is an unfortunate name of the dog of the lead character that makes it not PC for TCM. You could get it via Netflix DVD before that company imploded.

There is a whole bunch of CW flying back and forth during the attack updating London. I've not learned enough CW yet to know if it is real code, but have been meaning to explore it further. On an interesting side note, there has been noise about a remake of the movie being in the works.

Dave

Ken, show was sea hut  with loyd Bridges. There was one episode( mabey more) that was filmed at silver springs in ocala. A man steps out of boathouse with a rifle and takes a shot at mike nelson. They had the prop up for sometime before abc and state brought springs. Another cool movie to see, not ham related really is old bw 'dambusters" . Ok so much for tv trivial, don't remember if dambusters had any code or radio stuff in it , guess normal flying war stuff. 73 kg4ymc   p.s. for awail used to feed monkeys along siver river that had  been left over from tarzan movies, think   local uproar over them being killed or " relocated". long time back.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »

In Australia you can get a liscence to operate what are/were called "flying doctor" radios - people on the stations in the Outback had them (beyond the Black Stump - thats a LONG way out there!!) also remote workers in the Outback had them. Not sure if they still do - but they did whn I last lived permanently in the country of my birth in 2000. These were channelised HF sets  - can't quite remember the bands but there was something around 80m for sure.

Also we had? have? a domestic government shortwave broadcast Station in the Northern Territory, ABC Territory Radio....

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Doctors
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 01:15:05 PM »

Just couple of final notes on movies. Of course they cannot show the uncensored blazing saddles. also when they show the John Wayne classic  ,El dorado. There was one scene were JjameCohN? dresses up like a chinnaman to gain entrance to were the bad guys are, the way that cut it up does wonders for the movies continuity , ah polital corretness.  ok, will post ham related next time, just thought you might get a kick out of that movie trivial . kg4ymc
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »

They also used radios in Australia in times before the internet for conducting the "school of the air".
Kids on remote properties in Australia would check in using shortwave radio to their class which was conducted
by a teacher using a radio base station.
It was like a CW net with the teacher being the net control station.

I think that has all been replaced now by internet classrooms, probably by satellite internet.
In the end though, it is still radio, just SHF and the messaging protocols have changed.

Radio is essential to a place like Australia where the distances can be huge between services and remote settlements.

73s
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:40:28 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: