Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a Moment Before Xmitting  (Read 2923 times)
N9NMR

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »

Is it my imagination about the number of "aaaaa's" and "ummmm's" heard in QSO's and tactical communications these days? When I was a new ham, the advice was "take a moment before pushing the XMIT and think out what you will say".

Someday, record the communications during an event. Listen to it during your critique. You just might be surprised! 

Regards, N9NMR
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »

It's simply the way a lot of folks talk today - on and off the radio.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »

TACTICAL COMMUNICATIONS?Huh? WHAT?!?!?!?! Angry Angry Angry

Since when is hobby AMATEUR RADIO tactical communications?Huh
Is that when you clowns start requiring everyone to operate illegally by not using their full call signs and instead only use the suffix of their call?
That is by the way against FCC rules.  It says you WILL ID with your FULL call sign.  No where does it state that when conducting wacker nets you are permitted to use the suffix of your call because it sounds more official, or important, or in reality ridiculous.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »

When you're using tactical callsigns, you are usually operating on behalf of a governmental agency, perhaps on government frequencies. In the US, tactical callsigns are acceptable on amateur frequencies too, but you should append your amateur callsign once every ten minutes if the frequency is a primary amateur allocation. If it's a secondary amateur allocation, you might not need to use amateur callsigns at all, if you're operating as part of the primary radio service.

Here in Norway, we have special amateur callsigns for emergency communications, and I know MARS and RACES have their own callsigns in the US.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »

So called "tactical" callsigns are most certainly legal to use in the USA.  You can call yourself and other stations whatever you like.   "Car 54"  "2150 to headquarters"    "Bobby to Keith"   just your "suffix",  Whatever you like.   As long as you also PROPERLY I.D. your station with your full callsign at least once every 10 minutes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: