Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refurbish old Heathkit IM-17 Solid State Volt Meter  (Read 6475 times)
KE5GV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »

The modern day versions of such products are superior to the IM-17 and will cost you less money to obtain.  I understand the desire to have it working though.  I built one in the late 60s and I still have it today and it still works just fine.  There's actually someone (not me) on eBay selling the complete IM-17 kit (unassembled)....if you want to pay that kind of premium for a vintage piece of test equipment.  With the exception of some of the parts (like the mode selector rotary switch), you could probably cobble together a working unit and, with a bit of recalibration, you can use a 9V alkaline cell (instead of the old 8.4V mercury battery) and get accurate readings.  I've tested mine against other devices and it continues to function quite well.  If it were me though, I'd be looking for a modern substitute.  Some of them are so cheap that they're really throw-away devices.  Good luck.
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »

I understand your issue completely!!
While the modern day replacements might be this, that, or the other thing...that is not the question. You want it, and working well!!!  I don't blame you....I have two of them  :-)
I have or have had almost everything Heathkit.
Here is your best avenue.....
Do you have the manual?
If not, get one.
If so, go to the parts page.
On a piece of paper....or a Notepad document, write down all the components.     (4.7K, 1/2W, 1%)
Order them from Mouser.
Sit at the bench, and take the thing apart. I've found you almost need a solder station, and desoldering station....wick stuff, and bulbs, and "soldapullits" just don't work!
Clean the terminals of all crud.
Use deoxit IN SMALL AMOUNTS.....like how much can sit at the end of a toothpick, without dripping off.  Don't spray that crap all over, you'll only make things worse!
When UPS box from Mouser shows up, go to page 1 of the manual and start building. It will last another lifetime...and solidly at that.
If you choose to spend the hours to find that one out of tolerance resistor....you may get it working....but next time you use it, you'll be looking for the next out of tolerance resistor.
I've had MANY glitchy, goofy Heath tube audio, and test equipment pieces that...although troubleshooting would be a hoot of an afternoon spent ....NOT....I rebuilt it from the ground up, and they work for ...well.....still working!!!
PS.....There is a special replacement battery for that 8.4 Mercury....not a 9 volt. Got it at Radio Shack by cross-referencing the original.
Good luck, and thanks for giving the item the tlc it deserves......vs. a landfill   (wtf???)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »

Say what you want, but if one thing is crystal clear it's that when I stir the poo.... It stays stirred!

BTW: Selling a dummy load to a Heathshkit owner could be redundant.       Grin  Grin  Grin

Never change a password on a Friday                
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »

If you ever need parts for your Benton Harbor junk box............. http://www.charlescounty.org/PF/sw/images/landfill_lg.jpg    Roll Eyes

BTW: This is the underside of a Heathshkit AA-141 Hi-Fi preamplifier chassis:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/aa/HeathkitAA141w-19710220.jpg/800px-HeathkitAA141w-19710220.jpg

Even N4NYY knows what needs to go on this one...

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

LOL
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: