Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T32C WTF?  (Read 16844 times)
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »

I heard DOZENS of STATESIDE stations calling on 24.930.  And I will stand by my previous statement that if they are transmitting SSB (USB) on 24.930, they are not legal.  Some RF energy will fall below 24.930.

KR4BD

I LOVE it when someone sticks to their guns...EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WRONG

Make that ESPECIALLY when they are wrong !

Think so?  Please read the following.  If you don't understand it, please read it again.  Thank you.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9108028.pdf

KR4BD
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »

I heard DOZENS of STATESIDE stations calling on 24.930.  And I will stand by my previous statement that if they are transmitting SSB (USB) on 24.930, they are not legal.  Some RF energy will fall below 24.930.

KR4BD

Think so?  Please read the following.  If you don't understand it, please read it again.  Thank you.

KR4BD

If you read the article about SSB and the band edges and look at Figure 4, USB at 24.930 is OK.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

KR4BD

KR4BD

If you read the article about SSB and the band edges and look at Figure 4, USB at 24.930 is OK.

Please read the box entitled NEVER TRANSMIT ON THE EDGE at the bottom of page 31 (or 4th page of the PDF).  When you consider the fact that your exact transmitting frequency may be "off" even a few cycles, you could be putting RF energy BELOW 24.930. 

KR4BD
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »

KR4BD

Think so?  Please read the following.  If you don't understand it, please read it again.  Thank you.

KR4BD

Please read the box entitled NEVER TRANSMIT ON THE EDGE at the bottom of page 31 (or 4th page of the PDF).  When you consider the fact that your exact transmitting frequency may be "off" even a few cycles, you could be putting RF energy BELOW 24.930.  

KR4BD

That is good advice, but some hams do maintain their rigs very well and have had them checked with spectrum analyzers. I use boat anchors so 500Hz is as close as I'll go after checking the calibrator (which I maintain with a frequency counter). Have you use used a good panadapter to see if any of the signals you received did actually have some energy below 24.930? Transmitting USB at 24.930 is not instantly illegal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:11:18 PM by WW3QB » Logged
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

Last weekend, while trying to see where the DX was listening, I observed massive splatter well below 24.930 down to 24.928 or so.  Many stations were clearly centered AT and BELOW 24.930 making contacts. 

Yes, in an ideal world, it might be "safe" to transmit USB on 24.930, but I dare say very few operators can state with all certainty that they are 100% compliant.  I'm afraid that many of us believe whatever appears on our digital readouts must make it compliant.  Personally, I would not transmit (even USB) any closer than about 24.9315 MHz in this situation. 

KR4BD
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

I think that you have made a good and documented argument. I for one am with you on this and wouldn't operate my USB rig lower than 24.9315 MHz.

Mark N1UK
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »

I think he rounded up.
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

I don't get anywhere near the band edges. I have vertigo.

Eric
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

Anyway....I just worked them again on 15m USB....no where near a band edge.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »

This weekend, it seemed that everybody and their cousin was calling, and getting through the pile-up could be... challenging.

But I snagged them on 30 meters early Monday morning (local) before going to work.  Within 36 hours, I have them worked on 6 bands (80 - 10 except for 15 & 20).  Most of the time I worked them on the first or second call.

I'm confident that before the expedition ends, I'll get them on 15 & 20 too, I just haven't been in the shack at the right times.

I appreciate the on-line log as well.  It's nice to know that you're in the log on a given band/mode.  Cuts down on the need for an "insurance" contact.  Certainly not a mandatory thing, but it's nice to have.
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 04:17:39 AM »

What the hell is going on with this? I here a non-stop pile of QRM. It does not stop. What a disgrace.

It is Oct 6 now and  yesterday  I got the tree off the 720 foot  west beverage.... I woke up at 1:30 am and started to listen to T32C on 160.. Q5 copy.. I heard many stations call that did not work them ...

I heard a station from 2 land... I will not give his call here... He called and called..The T32C went back to him 2 times... No answer.. Then the 2 station left the air ... Why call if you can not hear ? or was it deep qsb that caused the lost qso and the 2 was not able to hear T32C go back to him  ?

Then I heard some stations keep calling T32C when he was clearly working other stations...But that is normal on all bands now , all modes. Some is from mistake and poor timing and some is from very rude operators that just do not care that they qrm.. But there is great operators at T32C ..

But the most interesting on this am of Oct 6 was a W4 station down in SW that called and called and when the T32C went back back to ZL2RVW the W4 station never stopped sending his call.. Then after T32C worked the ZL T32C went back to the W4 two times.. no answer the 3 rd time the W4 sent his call and a question mark and then the qso was made... Now get this ... 5 min later the W4 calls T32C and works him again.. Ok why not ?Maybe not sure or something , ok but  then I did a log search and the W4 is in the Log for 160 CW... I can not believe this behavior !

This drove me mad .... hearing the T32C not having stations going back to him ,periods of  lots of calling from T32C and no one hearing him. I went out and started to unravel ground radials on my vertical... Hooked the vertical up and said maybe 10 radials will work ? It is now 4:30 am and very dark ... So went back in and worked T32C on few calls first try...Using 100 watts into a 65 foot T.  So now I will wait for the log update... Truly a very exciting contact Top Band and a new one for me... All Top Band qso very special though.

Now it is 6:30 am the pile up is bigger and more stations calling  as gray line gets near  and all east coast must now start to  hear the T32C which  now has a  stronger signal... but as T32C drops in signal many ops stop calling.. must because of poor receive antenna systems on Top Band ? I also have heard many stations call that never were heard .. Wonder what transmit antenna these ops use ?

What really surprised me was at gray line and starting around 7:00 am how the band changed and T32C started working Japan . So after 6 hours of listening on Top band I stop and change to other bands..

Congratulations to all that work T32C

JIM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:33:14 AM by WB3CQM » Logged
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 05:04:16 AM »

Haven't noticed the ruckus as they have been loud over any QRM that might have been on.  May have been an isolated incident but honestly, I have yet to hear them with significant QRMing, and with their signals loud as they are, the QRM is like a fart in a whirlwind...

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 05:05:06 AM »

They were easy on 20 SSB last night around 0230Z or so.  I think I worked them on the second call.  Pretty soon they will be running simplex on all bands.

73s John AA5JG

The pileup they had on 40 this morning seemed too messy for simplex Cheesy Could hear them very well, though.

Think I'll wait another week before trying again...the herd might thin out by then.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »

I woke up at 1:30 am and started to listen to T32C on 160.. Q5 copy.. I heard many stations call that did not work them ...
<snip>He called and called..The T32C went back to him 2 times... No answer.. Then the 2 station left the air ... Why call if you can not hear ? or was it deep qsb that caused the lost qso and the 2 was not able to hear T32C go back to him  ?
While I cannot speak for the station in question, this W2 had exactly that situation with T32C on 160 last week. Signals weren't great but every 2 or 3 minutes he'd pop out of the noise and go up to S4-S5 for about 20-30 seconds then fade back down below copyability. I timed my calls so that whenever he was loud and finished a QSO I'd throw my call in 2 or 3 times hoping that propagation would still be at peak and not in a trough if/when he called me back. If you catch a wave at the wrong time this can be frustrating for both the DX op and the caller. I'll bet he probably did try to call me a couple of times when sigs back to me were way down but that's the nature of the Topband Beast at times; one-way propagation and long, deep fades.

I will say this, though: This team knows how to run a first-class DXpedition! Big, killer signals on all bands, a firm grasp of propagation, excellent CW and SSB operators and Clublog uploads twice a day. Can't beat that! Budding DXpeditioners could do well by studying their methods and mimicking their operating style.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:37:45 AM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »

I'm not sure if it has been said here, But over 6 tonnes of T32C's gear is stuck in Fiji in a container.

All the stuff they are using is replacment gear they brought with them or sourced in Hawaii.

They are doing a great job, even for us over here in EU where that part of the world is very hard work.

the will be QRV for 3 more weeks so lots of time to get all those band/mode slots filled.

Trevor
EI2GLB
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: