Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest logging software- What to use?  (Read 14941 times)
W3EK

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »

After a 10 year hiatus from contesting I am ready to get back into the fray following a move to Delaware. I need a simple straight forward program that will support all the big CQ and ARRL contests.What do the readers suggest?
                                                     Thanks and 73's- Rich W3ECU
W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »

Assuming you are using Windows? Simple would be the logging and contesting package from N3FJP.  It's not really updated anymore, but it's stable and covers most of the big SSB/CW contests.  For comprehensive coverage and digital contesting capability (RTTY), I like N1MM, but you'll need some patience and some time to get it setup the way you want it.  There are Yahoo groups for support.

There are also programs for OS X, but I haven't had time to play with them yet.

-Jeff
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »

Hi,

I really like the N3FJP Contest Logging Software, and use WriteLog for the odd contest not covered by N3FJP.

John
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »

Rich-
N1MM is probably the most popular with everything in one program that you would need. It is also a free download and well supported. it is not for general purpose logging and keeping track of awards etc. If you use it very often, you will get used to setting it up for the different contests.

The N3FJP ACLog is not really being supported any longer and is the general purpose logging program. N3FJP also has different separate pieces of contest software that come with ACLog for a price. Since there are separate individual programs for the different contests, they would be more straightforward to set up. Not all contests are supported.

I have moved away from ACLog to Logger32 recently (also free) for general logging and prefer to use to N1MM for contests. I later import the contest log from N1MM to Logger32.
For RTTY contests I still like MixW.

They all have very active yahoo user groups for getting questions answered etc.

Mike K7MH

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:00:47 AM »

Been using (free)  Logger 32 for 10 yrs now as a fairly simple but yet comprehensive logging software.

HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) is an awesome array of logging and operating tools ( also free)  It will keep you entertained or frustrated  depending on your  expertise   But it is Amazing.  Smiley
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »

I'm going to have to vote also for N1MM.  Its free and the support for it has been pretty good as of recent.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

I use N1MM exclusively, it works just fine
and
the price is right.

I am active in most of the major contests and lots of
the minor ones too.
W3PO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »

Ditto on N1MM,
I have been using it for a few years now and have been quite happy with it, and as mentioned above the price is right.
Logger 32 is being used as my daily non contest software and is also excellent.
Some believe that if it is payware it has to be better, but in the case of N1MM it is the opposite.
Try it. It take a bit to get used to as most softwares, but it is worth it.

73 de Pat W3PO
N3VUO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

Greetings to all, What general logging and contest software would be compatible with Linux ? Thank you and 73's Charlie,n3vuo
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »

For general logging on Linux you won't go wrong with CQRlog.  It may be in your distribution's repository (Debian Wheezy and Sid and Ubunutu 10.04 and later releases).

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
KM5PS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »

I also vote for N1MM.  I also have N3FJP's software and use the ACLOG daily.  N3FJP software is very easy to use and setup.  I just wish they would still update the packages.  If you email them with questions, they still answer you very quickly about there software.  I use N1MM for all of my contests.  Still have a lot to learn about N1MM, but the yahoo forums are great for N1MM questions. 

73's
John 
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

N1MM is what I use.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »

Computer here is running Windows7 and the contest program is N1MM with no issues at all. Since the question was what contest program to use. I use N1MM for SSB, CW and RTTY contests it is simple to setup, very easy to use and the price cant be beat at all. For daily logging I use HRD I tried all the others and did not like the user interface as much as HRD.

Roland AH6RR
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »

I will catch some flack for this but I love
WriteLog For Windows.  I have been using it
exclusively for contests since 2000.

I know in an earlier post I said it doesn't run well
under Windows 7.  I was dead wrong. My bad.
I had just bought a new 64 bit Windows 7 laptop
and was having some issues with getting an older TNC
to run with it,
It is probably a 64 bit Windows 7 issue, not WriteLog.

And the guys at WriteLog Support like Steve, N9OH,
are Ninjas with this program.
73, Ken  AD6KA
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

If you hate computers - go with N3FJP. It is nearly fool proof. This fool likes it. I do believe N1MM is one of the best out there, but I hate screwing around with computers and as far as for N1MM goes... it has been said more than once that I do not practice safe computing!  Grin

73 Don KO7i
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: