Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest logging software- What to use?  (Read 15270 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

Greetings to all, What general logging and contest software would be compatible with Linux ? Thank you and 73's Charlie,n3vuo
I run N1MM in Windows on an Oracle Virtualbox on my Linux desktop.

Complicated enough?

It works, interfaces to my rig and keyer just fine, and I like the N1MM suite a lot.

Tim.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »

I heard N1MM calling Ascension Island in the CQWW. I thought that was cool as hell.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

You won't go wrong with N1MM, I have used it for years.

1- It is free.
2- Outstanding support, updates come out very regularly.
3- Supports a ton of contests. I have looked at other programs, and most do not have nearly as many contests as N1MM.
4- If you can think of it, this software probably does it. If not, you can tell the people who support it, and it will probably happen.

It supports SO2R, multiple PC's networked, you can record and playback voice messages quite easily. Supports Winkey, Outstanding RTTY with the popular MMTTY engine.

This program definitely makes contesting a lot more fun, it will give you a big advantage. Be sure to go to the trouble of connecting your rig to the PC, and run the cluster when allowed. You will so wonder how you operated without it. Just take your time, download the manual and read it. Something that does as many things as N1MM's program is going to take a little effort to become proficient at, but it is well worth that effort.

Bill K4FX
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »

You won't go wrong with N1MM, I have used it for years.

1- It is free.
2- Outstanding support, updates come out very regularly.
3- Supports a ton of contests. I have looked at other programs, and most do not have nearly as many contests as N1MM.
4- If you can think of it, this software probably does it. If not, you can tell the people who support it, and it will probably happen.

It supports SO2R, multiple PC's networked, you can record and playback voice messages quite easily. Supports Winkey, Outstanding RTTY with the popular MMTTY engine.

This program definitely makes contesting a lot more fun, it will give you a big advantage. Be sure to go to the trouble of connecting your rig to the PC, and run the cluster when allowed. You will so wonder how you operated without it. Just take your time, download the manual and read it. Something that does as many things as N1MM's program is going to take a little effort to become proficient at, but it is well worth that effort.

Bill K4FX

This can't be emphasized enough for any software package. Most problems can be solved if users take the time to read the 'packing material' as many people used to treat the printed manuals and guides. They simply threw them out with the box!

I went so far as to download and print up ALL of the N1MM manuals, double sided in 5" x 7" format and fit them into 2 binders of same size. They sit next to the operating desk and can be referred to in a moments notice. Really handy that way  .... I had to dig through them just last weekend to figure out how to do the QTC exchange in the WAE RTTY contest. Do the same for all software I use and most of the glitches I come across can be solved by reading the manual.

A customer service mantra if I ever heard one ....... If all else fails, RTFM!!!!!  Grin

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »

I have used N3FJP logging programs for 6 years and like them very much.  They are simple to install, setup and use.  Individual contests are fairly cheap, but they do cost.  Buy the whole suite for $39 and it's a great deal.

However, N3FJP does not handle digital contests.  I am gradulally moving to N1MM for contests.  It supports almost all the contests, and does digital very well.  It also has a lot of features that a serious contest might like, (over my head).  And, the only cost is the 'learning curve'.

...bill  nr4c
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »

I use NIMM and ACLog. ACLog for the so called major contests like Sweepstakes and CWWW and NIMM for all the others.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »

A customer service mantra if I ever heard one ....... If all else fails, RTFM!!!!!  Grin

Gene W5DQ

That is true Gene, that is the secret to success with a computer, hardware and software, I keep the PDF version of the N1MM manual on my desktop. I have used this program for probably 6 or more years and I still find new stuff, especially since i just recently started SO2R with it.

Bill
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »

I use Writelog, works great.

I tried N1MM but it wouldn't accept higher numbered COM ports, which is a deal buster for me.

Dennis
NK7J

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

For he most part I like the N3FJP software package. Looks like he will also have a lot more free time this year to update his software. From emails he has sent out he may very well be retiring from his real job and pursue ham software more, good news for us users.

I bought and tried writelog. In short, worst money I have ever spent.
I prefer simple setup on the logging side and more time working on radios or at least putting up antennas. Writelog to me is time intensive to setup, not intuitive at all (at least not for me) and all in all it was a much despised program in the shack.

I have not used N1MM much, played a little with it, looks like a much better format than writelog, but again I like simple so will stick with N3FJP. 
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

Hi All,

N3FJP has in fact just released an email stating all contest packages have been upgraded/dated and an update to AClog 3.0 is coming, I use ACLog for all my logging needs (I really like the seamless LOTW uploads and downloads) I also use the contest packages except for RTTY then I use MIXW and then just import into ACLog, for the small initial cost it is a great package.

73 DE AJ4CU

P.S.  He just also updated the FCC exam study software package....
N0WE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:45 AM »

N3FJP's software is great. He has updated the contest programs. I don't do digital so for me that is not a concern. I also use N1MM but N3FJP is very easy to use and network.
KK1VT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 05:29:05 AM »

I have been using N3JFP's ACLog for many years. It is intuitive and the support is the best. The last 10 Meter contest we were setting up a new station for our club AA1VT, with only a couple of hours to go until the start of the contest. We were going to use N1MM, but after installation we found the learning curve to be too steep for the amount of time we had. I suggested ACLog and we installed it. With less than an hour to go we had an on line payment issue that required tech support from Scott. He responded Immediatly and we were in the air and logging just in time. For hard core operating N1MM may be a better choice but I am of the school of KISS. I really like N3JFP’s Amateur Contest Log.

KK1VT
Vermont
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »

My vote goes to N3FJP.  Scott and Kimberly have been very good to respond to any silly question I have had.  Most questions were about combining several field day logs into one file since we were not able to network that year.  I tried N1MM but it was too time consuming for me because I do not run assisted.  I don't like point and click contesting so I wasn't able to use all the tools that it has available.  If you want your computer to be the heart and sole of your station then by all means, N1MM is for you.

Welcome back into the contest world.

Ray  N0UY
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »

I started and still use N3FJP's AC Log for my "master" log and use his other loggers for some other stuff too.  He writes software that is easy to use and reasonably priced.

For manipulation of  my data, I use DXLabSuite ( free and not so easy to do but it does a lot) and it is great for tracking awards, printing QSL labels, address labels etc.  find some one local  ( join a club) and hey can get you going on DX Labs.  nice program and also well supported.

For contesting I usually use N1MM as it is a contesters log.  most functions can be automatic and it supports a ton of contests, and also free.

so N3FJP's AC log for general logging.  then dx labs for manipulation of those files and N1MM to use for contesting.  best of all worlds.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: