Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faraday cage for EMP protection?  (Read 9496 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »

Hello, I'm not necessarily a doomsday fanatic, but there is about 10% of my life philosophy that says I should prepare something in case of a so called "Armageddon". I have a large, completely aluminum (& some stainless) locking suitcase. I was thinking of storing my emcomm TS 480HX, Tuner and several HT's inside this suitcase, and drilling a hole where I can install a ground lug to connect to a cold water pipe or 8' ground rod. Would this be satisfactory protection against an EMP? Thanks for any info.

73, Todd - KT0DD
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that an EMP might be able to set up eddy currents in the aluminum skin, which could then create magnetic fields that can permeate through the case. Something like steel, or better yet mu metal, could confine any electric and magnetic fields to the metal itself.

There's probably a lot about EMP and the Compton Effect we should all study up on. GL
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

Todd,

There is so much "hysterical crap" floating around about EMP and EMP mitigation that it is impossible to undo, so I generally stay out of it. Nearly all of the things I've seen on Internet cannot be more nicely described than being horse-droppings. This is especially true with devices to generate pulses.

Most EMP stuff is like watching Ancient Aliens on TV, or reading about how Elvis is alive, or studying Numerology or the Astrology. As a matter of fact, we should call it EMPology.

By the time your gear had enough EMP from a nuclear event to have problems....you would dead anyway. If you want to protect your rig while you go hide somewhere, so it is available when you reappear, just put it in a closed metallic enclosure.  Anything that tells you to ground the Faraday cage is obviously written by someone who hasn't a clue how charges behave. Keep that in mind.

The nicest thing I can say is most people writing things about EMP are probably trying to help, but are just totally misguided.

73 Tom
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that an EMP might be able to set up eddy currents in the aluminum skin, which could then create magnetic fields that can permeate through the case. Something like steel, or better yet mu metal, could confine any electric and magnetic fields to the metal itself.

There's probably a lot about EMP and the Compton Effect we should all study up on. GL

Read this and look at measurements:

http://www.w8ji.com/skindepth.htm
AB3NK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »

If this is what you are worried about - go buy yourself a tube type radio.
The solid state crap with it's many microprocessors - will probably be utterly useless if Armageddon was to happen anyways.

Most repeaters would be dead and the grid would probably fail - which would leave you with battery power and a generator, after a couple of days - you would run out of gasoline for the generator - and your radio still probably wouldn't work.

Besides - everyone that you talk to - would be in the same boat you were in.
Invest your money in guns and ammo like the rest of the radicals.
Do you have a years supply of water and food to get you through it?
What good is a radio without food and water?
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »

Besides - everyone that you talk to - would be in the same boat you were in.
Invest your money in guns and ammo like the rest of the radicals.
Do you have a years supply of water and food to get you through it?
What good is a radio without food and water?

Guns and ammo will get me food and water...lol
Anyway, I imagine a grounding lug would actually introduce charges inside the case. I know I may sound a little paranoid, but one never knows. Solar power could keep me on the air a few months. I just like to be prepared. Who knows what Iran will do with it's nukes...lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:57:43 PM by KT0DD » Logged
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »

Thanks Everybody.

73,  Todd - KT0DD
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »

OM; A gun may or may not get you food and water in those "survival situations", but it just might let you keep what you already have !!! Stop worrying, come out of your bunker-enjoy living, within your means of course, HI!!! 73, Bunky, K4EJQ
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »

I'll keep this in mind for April fools day  Cheesy
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »

Now let's think about how to protect our rigs against Apophis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis when it hits earth on April 13, 2036. I guess we need more massive protection then  Grin
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »

Now let's think about how to protect our rigs against Apophis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis when it hits earth on April 13, 2036. I guess we need more massive protection then  Grin

Who'll be around? Haven't you heard. We're all going to go the way of the gooney bird on Dec 21, 2012. Better sell out while you can!! I'm looking for the person whose going to have the Alpha's at give away prices Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »

Dang, I forgot that. Shame on me Sad
You are right, in 2012 there'll be a solar transit of Venus and the sun will flip its magnetic poles...
Can it get any worse?

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:50:45 AM »

Would this be satisfactory protection against an EMP? Thanks for any info.

73, Todd - KT0DD

I think I need to get a life. I play a lot of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox and the first thing that came into my mind was "EMP, ALL ELECTRONICS ARE OFFLINE" which is what it says in the game when someone on the other team uses an EMP.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »

After the 9/11 attacks we had a wave of hysteria sweep our country. Some fellow down here capitalized on it by giving seminars about how easy it was to build a EMP device with a small explosive, a capacitor, and a coil. You can find "designs" like that on Internet. He got everyone wound up about it, even though the science was totally bizarre.

Our biggest threat is, as an overall group, we are getting stupid. Compared to the past we can't reason though anything or make long term plans for anything. The movie Idiocracy is closer than anything to telling the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »

Isn't it amazing that in our scientifically well educated world there are so many conspiracy theories possible. Is it because people believe everything that has a scientific touch or is it because they do not regard those theories critically enough?
I think hams should be supporting serious scientific evidence to avoid getting people into urban legends and such matters.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: