Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faraday cage for EMP protection?  (Read 8922 times)
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »

For me, when the day of "EMP" comes, I think my priorities will be focused Far from any Radio foolishness.... I will be more interested in survival and eventually personal protection from the masses of Have-nots......

Weapons will be the thing of value.  I hope during that time to trade my radio gear for GUNS before it all becomes totally worthless!!!

Sounds like the MAD-MaX doons day predictions...................

73's
Gary - W5GNB
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

For me, when the day of "EMP" comes, I think my priorities will be focused Far from any Radio foolishness.... I will be more interested in survival and eventually personal protection from the masses of Have-nots......

Weapons will be the thing of value.  I hope during that time to trade my radio gear for GUNS before it all becomes totally worthless!!!

Sounds like the MAD-MaX doons day predictions...................

73's
Gary - W5GNB

But Gary, if you give up your radios how will you be able to 'call for reinforcements to fend off the HAVE-NOTS' Smiley

"I hope during that time to trade my radio gear for GUNS ..." --- I'd suggest you probably want to have those guns in place and ready for use WELL before the need to have them. During THAT TIME guns will be a high priced commodity.

My ex-father-in-law once said to my efforts to get into desert gold prospecting, "I can get all the gold I want with my gun from people like you who go find it for me". He was kidding (I hope?) but that's the mentality that will be prevalent if Armegeddon should ever happen.

Those with guns better have plenty of ammunition (and reloading supplies) because a gun without ammo is a paper-weight! Also having a gun and knowing how to use it and willingness to do so are seperate ideals. Practice, practice, practice ..... like the old saying says "Gun control is hitting what you're aiming at" Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

Hello, I'm not necessarily a doomsday fanatic, but there is about 10% of my life philosophy that says I should prepare something in case of a so called "Armageddon". I have a large, completely aluminum (& some stainless) locking suitcase. I was thinking of storing my emcomm TS 480HX, Tuner and several HT's inside this suitcase, and drilling a hole where I can install a ground lug to connect to a cold water pipe or 8' ground rod. Would this be satisfactory protection against an EMP? Thanks for any info.

73, Todd - KT0DD

I'll use my M14 for protection following an EMP.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »

If an EMP happens, then radio won't be important.  Anybody who was not prepared won't have a functioning unit, therefore you won't have many people to talk to.  Humanity flourished before 1900, with no radio, it can do so again.

If you're really worried about an Armageddon event, then more important is to know where you will get food and water in a day without any energy usable.  Even if you have an emergency generator, it won't do much for your toasted appliances.  Hand-pump on a water well, rain gathering, growing a garden...these should be way ahead of your radio if you're really wanting to survive such an event.

Head to any third world country, get away from the big cities and see how people live.  And they do live - they don't die.  Be hopeful that you'll never be forced to live that way, but be ready to if it comes up.

- k
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »

With the amount of EMP required to knock out my appliances and well, I'd be long dead and so would everyone for miles.  The dumbest thing in the world is all this EMP stuff.

To see what the real worry is, get a copy of Idiocracy. That is what we have to protect ourselves against.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: