Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EHAM WEBSITE COMPROMISED?..  (Read 8925 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »

Huh
Yesterday whilst opening the Eham web page, AVAST anti-virus software repeatedly popped up with an 'IN-FRAME.INF' detection.
Today, although the detection has stopped, pages on Eham take VERY long to load, if it loads at all!..

Anyone else have any problems?.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »

No problem here. Did you clear your browser of history and cookies?
WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »

I was having the same trouble here. And now the site loads very slow.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

They have issues with this site from time to time with it being slow or none responsive. Been doing it on occasion for months now.  The virus alert that poster above saw was likely on local issue on his own system.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:39:18 AM »

Smiley
Thanks for the replies!..
I deleted all the cookies , and history this morning--was still the same.
3 Hours later==all back to normal!.. Huh

Weird!
73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »

Both at work and at home got attacked by the Data Resource malware virus when visiting Eham.  Home anti-virus recognized it and fended it off.  Work anti-virus did not and had to go through a malware removal process.

Was not sure it was from this site or from just Internet in general so did not say anything but seeing these posts made me decide to post this.

Love the Eham site though...I'm a happy subscriber.

Richard
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »

Both at work and at home got attacked by the Data Resource malware virus when visiting Eham.  Home anti-virus recognized it and fended it off.  Work anti-virus did not and had to go through a malware removal process.

I am sorry that you got infected.  I know that some others also were infected.

Overnight on Saturday or early Sunday the ad server that we share with contesting.com, eham.net and also with a sister site (liveatc.net) was compromised and in addition to our normal banners it was also delivering up a popup banner that linked to the Malware.

Once we were aware of the issue we tracked it down the the only common element shared by all three sites - the ad server.  We shut down the ad server and that indeed fixed the the problem.  We then worked on isolating the the route of attack and also looked for and found the changes in the ad server setup that was delivering the malware pop banner. We then worked on that machine to make it more secure and brought the ad server up but only in a state that would allow us to access the ads and setup that would enable us to move the ad content to a different system.

We have not been totally happy with our ad server software for about a year so pushed us over the edge.  I have been spending way to many hours moving our ad content from that software to a totally different solution that should be more secure, more robust, require less admin duties and more features going forward.

We regret that our ad sever was used to do harm to our users computers.

I am not totally sure but I think only users of IE and/or Windows machines were affected by the malware.

The slowness that some users saw was when our ad server was offline - some browsers were waiting for that connection to time out before serving up the site - since I and others did not see this behavior we that everyone was having the same experience that we were having with the site loading quickly even without the ad server being up. I think again this is dependent on what browser you are using.  Had we noticed I would have removed the old ad code more quickly in the process.  

Thanks

George
K5TR
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »

I believe that the Eham site slows down on weekends because of the amount of traffic on the site. I have had no trouble with the site during the week. I did not get any anti virus alerts. I use IE latest version.

73s

K2OWK
KI4AX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »

My internet security software has been detecting a lot of port scans on this web site. I think it has been hacked.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »

My internet security software has been detecting a lot of port scans on this web site. I think it has been hacked.

mmmm.... I think I need more details - I will email you directly and try to understand what you are seeing.

Thanks

George
K5TR
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »

FWIW, I run Safari on two Macs and IE 8 on my office PC - no problems with any of the three systems and no warnings of any kind.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: