Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technicians License  (Read 4979 times)
RYAN

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

Hello new around here and new to ham radio I have a quick question about the technicians
license Is there a time limit on the test? I bought the techs Q&A book and the manual plus the book for the general License will be taking the tech test the 22nd of this month and then going for the general wish me luck Ive been messing around with Cb radio but not to much fun there with everyone talking on top of each other as far as the reading on ham radio its a whole knew world
but hopefully ill come back the 22nd and have a operators license up where the username is Grin
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »

Ryan -

There's no explicit time limit imposed by the FCC, but there's probably a practical limit imposed by the test team. Our team uses a public library--we start at 7 pm and the library closes at 8:30, so that's an externally-imposed limit. I don't think the test team would want to wait for 4 or 5 hours, but there won't be a formal "pencils down" time.

I'd suggest you contact the team you're testing with, just to see what limits they may have.

Good luck on the test!

Steve
W3HF
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:09:43 AM »

You should be able to take the Tech in under a hour, if you're prepared.  There aren't that many questions.  Remember, you only need to get 25 of the 35 questions right.  Aim higher, but have confidence.  You're going to pass.  

Be glad, Ryan -- "back in the day" (um, 17 years ago), the code tests were first and the written tests second.  The code tests were timed but the written tests weren't.  I remember frantically scribbling down letters and having a nervous breakdown while the tape player warbled. Q? X? B? 4? It was like a demented game of Scrabble.  Those days are gone, thank God. Don't listen to those who try to romanticize those days.

My club had the room for four or five hours.  I remember writing the General, passing, and then being told "take the Advanced" (a test that no longer exists. Lucky you!).  I never studied for it, but the VE's insisted that I do so.  I failed the Advanced but came back the next month and passed it.  It wasn't so bad, as I saw what the test was like and could see where I would have to focus.  You may not have time to do this.  If the VE's are willing to let you take the General cold do it!  You might pass!  Even if you don't, you'll get a feel for the exam, what to study, and be that much closer to passing at the next session.  

Extra in no time! :-)

73, Jordan

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:15:36 AM by AB2T » Logged
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »

Remember, you only need to get 25 of the 35 questions right.

Twenty-six, actually.  At VE sessions, I've heard this score referred to as "passing with efficiency."
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

1) As KG6AF points out, passing is 26 right for the 35 question Technician and General, 37 right for the 50 question Extra.

2) There are no penalty points for a wrong answer, so if you're not sure, guess.

3) You can take free online practice tests using the exact Q&A used on the real tests. Eham has them, so do other sites.

4) It's the "Technician" license. Not a plural, contraction nor a possessive.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »

When in doubt, choose "all of the above" it's usually the right answer.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »

I just took the Tech test a few months ago along with the General.  You shouldn't worry about the time being a problem.  The Tech test is pretty logical and with a decent amount of practice you will start to see what is going on and you will finish in plenty of time.  It took me less than 10 minutes.

You might want to look at practicing to take the General test at the same time.  It is much more work to prepare but it costs nothing more to take the test and if you don't pass, there is no problem as far as your Tech score.  Adding a General license opens up a much wider range of ham operation and I would guess that most people find the additional effort is worth it.  I found that the General study took 3-4 times as much effort as the Tech and I'm working on the Extra now.

Sam
W9KDX
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »

Ryan:
Did you pass the test?  If so, what is your call?
Spencer
KD5RGJ
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »

I used to be a VE, I don' t think there is any exam time limit set by law, but I assume, VE will not hang around many hours after they passed out last exam.  most exam taker finishes their exam ( technitian class ) in about 30 min. or less   may be 60 min. max.   I guess if the person study taking 30 sec. to answer each question, that would be abt 17 min.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »

When I took my tech test 16 years ago I wanted to take the general also but something about all those beeps I kept hearing and could not make sense of stopped that. Oct 1 this year I finally took my General. This was after about 10 years of being inactive. Took me 15 minutes or so. Got all right. Take the General test even if you dont study. Never know. I should have done that with the extra but I didnt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: