Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnum257HP  (Read 11837 times)
BOOTYMONSTER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »

Here's where the CB stuff shows up.

The HTX-10 is a 25 watt PEP rating, and uses two 2SC1969 SSB output transistors with actual ratings for linear PA service.

Now we have the "same radio", sold as an illegal CB radio, suddenly rated at 80 watts. It uses a transistor that has no traceable SSB specs in data sheets and has an odd custom house number. The data sheets for the PA device in the Magnum are nonsense.

How anyone equates the two systems is puzzling.

it has a different amp stage than the older radio it's based on . if you read the article you would have known that though .
it is a nice sounding radio on am and ssb , better sounding than a ft 101 .
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 04:21:25 AM »

I've noticed a couple of the Radio Shack 10-m rigs for sale on the local free internet classified ads (craigslist) in the last few months.  The asking prices were $100-$135.  I don't know anything about the Magnum but I owned one of the RS 10m rigs and it was a lot of fun.  Might be worth keeping your eye out for one of those.

WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »

I submitted the Magnum 257HP to Eham product review as a new radio and my submission was denied. The Eham staff member who runs product review didnt even reply to me and my submission.

My guess is even though it is truly a Ham rig for ten meters and is NOT capable of 27 Mhz right out of the box they somehow think it cheapens Eham.

The Radio Shack HTX series however indeed is in the product reviews.

And Eham would like me to renew  $$$.

SAD.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »

What's sad is that some people insist on using these rigs even after more knowledgeable hams explain why this is a problem.

Vince
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »

It's an OVER PRICED CB radio that you should NOT waste your hard earned money on.Save your money & buy a rig that will do ALL of the HF bands the FIRST time & then NOT be sorry that you did not WAIT! Buyer remorse SUCKS so do the RIGHT thing from the start & save that pain for something else.  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »

Thanks for reminding me to re-up my paid subscription, which I just did. 
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »

I submitted the Magnum 257HP to Eham product review as a new radio and my submission was denied. The Eham staff member who runs product review didnt even reply to me and my submission.

My guess is even though it is truly a Ham rig for ten meters and is NOT capable of 27 Mhz right out of the box they somehow think it cheapens Eham.

The Radio Shack HTX series however indeed is in the product reviews.

SAD.

You posted a similar thread in a different forum and I replied there.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,78057.0.html

The Magnum is a CB/freeband radio masquerading as a 10m ham radio and easily unlocked by taking the case off and moving a jumper I believe. 

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

The Magnum 257HP is a cheap 10m radio - what's the big deal? - for $200 bucks - who cares?

It works just fine I'm sure for 10m no problem - because the radio is easy to mod. for 11m, who cares? 11m is a wasteland anyways.

73 David K1WJ  Cool
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »

I agree with the last reply. For one thing this fellow was asking about display accuracy not a dissertation on how good or bad his radio choice was. I tried to give him that information in my reply a while back. I did not judge him or the radio. It is funny how ham operators jump all over any radio or person that might operate in the CB band. Like the fellow said who cares, if a fellow asks a question about a technical subject give him an answer not an opinion on the type of equipment he uses.

My two cents.

73s

K2OWK
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

The Magnum 257HP is a cheap 10m radio - what's the big deal? - for $200 bucks - who cares?

It works just fine I'm sure for 10m no problem - because the radio is easy to mod. for 11m, who cares? 11m is a wasteland anyways.

People either don't read much,  well, or they don't believe what they read.

1.) That radio uses a PA device that is not rated for linear SSB service. The data sheet even looks bogus. It is unlikely to be very clean.

2.) The FCC prohibits sale or advertising of devices that are not properly certified. eHam really should not advertise or promote anything illegal

Things like that radio are a big part of the reason ten meters is so junked up with splatter, and why truckers and others have easy cheap access to ten meters. When you buy a radio like that, you not only help ruin the band...you help people selling them to illegal ops stay in business.

It's a little over the top to blame eham for not helping promote things that are illegal, that ruin a ham band, and that provide easy access to ham bands by CBers.
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »

"10M is so junked up with splatter" - Really? Huh

Was on 10m today did not hear any.....heard about 10-12 different stations - no issues

10m all messed up......yeah right  Huh - most of the time hear nothing - with a Ton of band spectrum free as can be.

This Radio is Not the problem - yeah right - blame the gun -not the moronic operator....

If you were stranded & needed to communicate  Shocked - the tiddlywinks Magnum would function just fine.

It is a cheap 10m radio that works -----Who Cares?   Dave K1WJ 73
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

How accurate is the frequency display on the new Magnum 257HP in SSB mode ?

In other words, does the display say 28.400 when talking to hams on that freq?

Im considering buying one but not if the display is inaccurate on SSB mode.

I know $200 doesnt buy alot.

Thanks, in advance

Ken

The display in their ad shows it tuned to 27.385  (hmmmm.... 11m?  Roll Eyes ) and it shows how you can move a plastic jumper on the board to get "expanded frequencies"  Also, most of the components aren't even labeled.  However, they do put this disclaimer on there:

While some ham radio operators will cringe at the thought of anyone using an “export” radio on the ham bands, certain models can perform quite well if set up properly. The RCI-2950DX, HR2510, 2600, Lincoln, and Magnum 257 have all been used on ham frequencies with positive results. While there continues to be a huge amount of backlash from the ham radio community regarding export radios, the truth is that in many cases you would not be able to distinguish these radios on the air from an “actual” certified 10 meter radio such as the HTX-100 or HTX-10. While the addition of echo and talkback reminds us that the target audience for these radios may not be the U.S. amateur community, I don’t want to discredit their actual ability to be used as 10 meter radios. The key to running a Magnum 257 HP on ham frequencies is to run the radio at moderate levels of modulation and to follow all rules and regulations appropriately.
Ken
[/quote]

Your call, but as others have stated you could get a used HTX-100 for about half the cost.

Eric
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »

"10M is so junked up with splatter" - Really? Huh

Not too many signals on now. Normal Amateur gear is about -35 dB PEP typically on next channel up and down, worse adjacent channel:

28.412 -38.2 dB PEP
28.467 -23.5 dB PEP
28.500 -34.7 dB PEP
28.525 -18.1 dB PEP
28.530 -22.6 dB PEP

This is on signals strong enough to get out-of-noise enough for reliable readings. Agilent 8594E, 100 sweep peak level, 300 Hz BW. 2 busy SSB channels out of 5 had strong stations normal bandwidth.

On 20 and 15 meters it averages much better than on 10. What do you suppose the cause is?

73 Tom
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

Tom W8JI,

My hat is off to you.  You keep trying, but they aren't listening/understanding.  Some apparently do not understand the concept of IMD and other general noise issues that affect the radio spectrum when you take a device that is not rated for RF service and drive it into saturation. Now times that by 100,000 or even 10,000 of these devices operating across the globe and there is the real problem.  They don't understand, that just because they don't recognize the problem with their ears, does not mean the problem doesn't exist.  Just because it is not heard as a measurable perceptible signal on 10 or 11 meters at the receiver, does not mean the problem doesn't exist.   

Like a lot of things these days, folks want a fast and dirty solution, at the cheapest price possible, and don't really give a hoot about anyone else but themselves and their own enjoyment. Many of the posts in this thread certainly show a lack of understanding.

Good luck with your teachings, maybe one day you will get through to at least some of these folks.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »

....Like a lot of things these days, folks want a fast and dirty solution, at the cheapest price possible, and don't really give a hoot about anyone else but themselves and their own enjoyment. Many of the posts in this thread certainly show a lack of understanding....

The same thing goes with quite a lot of the cheap Chinese handhelds that are saturating the market these days.  "Oh, but it's a cheap alternative to the big three, so why not buy them."  To put it bluntly, it's too bad that all too many hams have more money than brains--and don't use either of them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: