Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Molex plug on back of Icom-718 What signals?  (Read 1965 times)
KD4SBY

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:08:55 AM »

Does anyone know what that small Molex plug in the back actually does by an Icom-718? The reason that I like to know what it does is that I have an 718 and use it with an LDG IT-100 Tuner. Works fine, but I wonder, is there a way that I can use the tuner with a non-Icom product? It would be nice if I could. If I know what signals are used to communicate with the tuner, I might be able to mimic them and use it with a different radio. Grin
Anyone knows?
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:29:29 AM »

I have used my ldg 100 plus tuner with icom and yaesu with no issue, same plug
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »

It's the standard 4-pin connector for the Icom AH-4 tuner. The pins are Gnd, +12VDC, and two control pins. One of those signals the tuner with a pulse to start tuning and the other is an input from the tuner to make the radio transmit a 10W carrier. If you want more info take a look at www.ham-kits.com

As far as I know, Alinco is the only other mfg that uses the Icom standard interface (although they use a different connector).

You **might** be able to use the LDG 100 with other radios if you supply it with 12VDC and use the tune button on the tuner and manually key the radio in CW to provide the carrier. Without an Icom compatible interface it won't be able to react with the radio automatically though.
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:33:03 AM »

AA4PB - Thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for. That simplify things. I have an older Kenwood 430S that I want it to use it with. This model  does not have any computer interfacing capabilities but from what you are saying, I will just set it to 10 Watts output, push the button on the IT-100 and it will tune the antenna. Cool!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: