Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 in '04 Chevy Blazer with antenna and grounding ideas  (Read 2949 times)
KF9ZA

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »

Here's a photo gallery of my install of a Icom IC-7000, LDG AT-100 tuner, in my 2004 Chevrolet Blazer.

http://kf9za.kremer.com/hf-mobile

Getting great 5 and 9 reports on 10m, 15m, and 40m running 100w into the tuner and Jetstream "ham stick" style antennas. Not a super novel install, but the use of a lakeview mount on the plastic luggage rack and grounding the mount and radio seems to be working well.  Thought ya'll might get some ideas from it.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

If you're happy, you're happy. I wouldn't be happy with the install myself, but that's me.

KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »

Alan, I don't understand your reply.  I posted the pictures of my install to give people ideas.  They can take my idea, or not.  Modify or improve on it, or not.  I enjoy seeing and reading other's mobile installs, so I wanted to share my ideas. What exactly is your point in posting your reply?
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

Interesting installation. But, I do have a couple of questions for you.
With the body of the radio installed inside the console like that, aren't
you concerned about heat buildup? I have my IC-706 MKIIG body mounted
under the rear seat of my pickup in a spot where it can have plenty of
room for air movement. The 7000 runs hotter than most rigs that size
(I have one) and I would think being mounted inside the console could
cause problems eventually, without some sort of good ventilation to allow
air flow from the internal fan in the radio when it kicks on.
 My other question, is why are you using the auto tuner with the hamstick
antennas? I have used one in the past with a 102" whip (mounted as near
to the antenna as I could get it, without being out in the weather) and that worked
OK , 20 meters to 10 meters and just barely on 40 meters.
I have found that when I used hamstick antennas on my pickup (where my 706 MKIIG is installed) that they worked just fine (to a point) without using the auto tuner.
I now use a Tarheel 100A HP on the pickup and it is a vast improvement over my previous screwdriver antenna (Alpine) and the hamstick antennas I used before that.
And even better than the 102" whip and auto tuner combo I started out using.
  No offense intended in my questions to you. Just wanted to understand your installation setup.  Hope you do not have problems with your 7000 from keeping it
in a closed space like that. (or so it appears to me, I didn't see any sort of fan that might be moving air into the space where the main body was mounted)
Good luck and have fun with your setup.
james
WD5GWY

NEVER MIND!!!  Roll Eyes I just looked again at your photos and it would appear that your radio's main body is mounted outside the console and not in it!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:54:55 PM by WD5GWY » Logged
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »

James...Thanks for your question.  The IC-7000 overheating problem is something I heard about, so I did mount the main unit out the in open.  The temp meter has never budged in the three weeks since I installed the radio.

As to the tuner. If I had to buy either of the Icom tuners, the AT-180 or AH-4 at either $339 or $399 I would have taken a pass on buying a tuner.  But the IT-100 at $179 it was worth putting in the mix, plus if I ever get the diapole up in the trees I can tune it up with the tuner.  Back in the 90's I had a Kenwood TS-50 with my ham sticks and had trouble with the SWR.  Got the AT-51 tuner and it worked much better, so I guess I've always thought a tuner mobile is a good idea.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:38:14 PM by KF9ZA » Logged
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »

You generally done want to use a tuner with a ham stick, At least dont plan on using it more than +- 1 band otherwise you will burn out the ham stick.  The head location will cause issues in the summer... have you considered mounting it on the overhead console? The rf deck and tuner should be in the rear of the vehicle and not taking up valuable space in the operator area...

As alan said if you happy your happy...
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »

I would say that whilst the main body install isn't the most asthetically pleasing, from a cooling point of view it has way more free space around it than many I've seen. I can't see it being the issue that people seem to be making out of it other than an increase in temperature when there is sunlight shining directly on it. I would make a suggestion in regards to the wiring going to the radio and thats to try and hide it. Leaving it in the passenger footwell is usually a recipe for disaster as people can and do get their feet tangled in it, don't realise and rip it out when they next get out the car.

As regards using a tuner with the hamstick, I'm with everyone else. Try it on more than a band either side and you're likely to start arcing the coil in the antenna if the mismatch is great enough.

Good to see someone using braid instead of wire for a ground strap.

W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »

Congrats on your installation! It works for you,and you're happy with it, so that's all that matters. You don't need folks making snarky or patronising  comments and raining on your parade.

Who cares if you're using room up front. As you imply, the tuner is not needed right now because you use several hamsticks (one per band, I presume). The head on the suction cup is fine - you can remove it if leaving the car in the sun.

Have fun and good DX !
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »

I would say that whilst the main body install isn't the most asthetically pleasing

I agree with you on the asthetics.  Plus, my 18 year old son really agrees with you.  He says my radios are ugly.  I had a hard time deciding where to put the radio. Under the seats was out.  Could have put it in the back of the SUV, but it's like a hot house back there in the summer, plus I do haul stuff and I might hit the radio loading and unloading

...a suggestion in regards to the wiring going to the radio and thats to try and hide it.

Sharp eye.  Had the cables out on the carpet putting new powerpole connectors on.  Should have put the cables back up under the dash before I took the picture.  Smiley

The head on the suction cup is fine - you can remove it if leaving the car in the sun.

If I leave the car in the sun, I put my "Kleenex Box Security" solution over the head.  Keeps it covered for security and keeps it shaded from the sun.  Here's a link to how I did it:  http://www.kremer.com/kf9za-kleenex-box-ham-radio-security
N1UMJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

Seems nice, I'm putting my IC-706 in our family car very soon due to a probable move to where I can't have radios, mobile will be my only option. I may considder the security solution, I like that. I'm putting the body of the radio under the passenger's seat, plenty of room there. Don't worry about the negative comments, I've known people who've tried a lot of different things with HF mobile installations and found a lot of different things, the thing is,what works for one person, doesn't always work for another. As far as I'm concerned, if you're happy with it, that's what matters you're the one using it. I'm probably doing something similar for antenna, I don't want anything heavy and obvious as can be so llikely the ham sticks will be what I do unless I come up with a better idea. Most are happy with that kind of antenna and actually I use them on a tripod on vacations and what not sometimes and they work great for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: