Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Yaesu experts out there  (Read 3952 times)
W8VCK

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

So after many years of reliable service my trusty FT-990 is slowly dying.  And parts/service are no longer available, nobody wants to work on this radio.  Having started hamming in the 70's with HeathKits I am very comfortable with a 100 watt Weller but the screws/parts/connectors in a modern radio are a little small for me to see easily.

Being one who would rather spend $5 on antennas for every 5 cents of radio, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of having to buy a new HF rig.  Sure, an FT-5000 would be really nice, but the price tag is just too high for me.

I'd really like a rig that does SO2R "Out of the box" so that eliminates ICOM & Elecraft, and being one who runs a software company for a living the last thing I want to do is play with computers, so a FLEX is totally out of the question.

So that leaves me looking at the FT-2000 or the FT-1000 Mark IV Field -- both around 2K... two big questions here:

1) I am fairly certain my Yaesu accessories (DVR-R Voice Keyer, FIF-232C CAT Interface, pretty desk mike) will all plug right into a FT-1000.  What about the FT-2000?  Will the filters in the FT-990 plug into an FT-1000?  I've got the full set of 4.

2) How long before Yaesu decides to discontinue parts for the FT-1000 Mark IV?   I realize this is speculation... But don't want to be right back here again in 5 years.

Thanks & 73 de W8VCK
Alan Robbins
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

Alan, I feel your pain. I also have and love a FT-990, which after 20 years of faithful service is showing it's age.  The meter light went out on mine a while back, but luckily a friend (W7HD) had the ability to replace it with a led he salvaged from a led flashlight.  So once again, it sits in a prominent place on the operating table. And to be honest, I prefer using it to my FT-5000.  To me, xtal filters still beat the heck out of DSP (hi)!

But, I think it's unfair to say Yaesu decides to cancel parts for older units.  It's really a matter of suppliers not being able to provide the parts to the manufacturers, and is not limited to Yaesu, or radio manufacturers in general, but in everything out there from food mixers to your automobile.

So, the reality is that once anything gets older than about 5 years, "factory" parts/repairs  become unavailable.  I'm pretty sure Yaesu, or anyone else, would love to take in your '990 for repair if parts were still available.  Money is money, and they could still make a lot just repairing the old stuff, if it were possible to get the necessary parts.

As for filter compatibility, you could try checking on the Inrad Filter website. Sorry don't have the URL handy, but Google will turn it up for you.
73, Jim/K7UNZ

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »

I had FT2000's. Performance wise, they suck.

I use MKV's with simple mods to fix the noise blanker problems and keyclicks.  

I like my K3 better.
W8VCK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »

Jim I agree with you completely on all counts -- several of my ham buddies have "digital enhanced" radios and while they have plenty of slick features I just do not care for the sound with the digital modes engaged.

My Collins KWM-2 has superb audio, terrible on a crowded band, but for "just listening" there really is no comparison.  Visitors to the shack are always surprised by how this radio sounds.  This is not, however, a radio you'd use for Sweeps...

I get the "no parts" thing too.

So I guess I'll take my chances on an FT-1000 and hope it lasts as long as my FT-990. 

73 de W8VCK
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »

Alan -
 I used to have an FT-990 and I loved using it. Many of the modern whiz bang rigs feel like appliances compared to it. For technical assistance I would recommend John, KI4NR. He owns an FT-990 and does excellent general technical work on many other rigs. You can look up his website by Googling his call. He does a mod that improves the audio response of the receiver that is accomplished by sending him two of the plug-in circuit boards.

Bruce  K6RQR

KG0DB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »

Suggest you go to "Fox Tango" on Yahoo.com.  The owner of "Certified Electronics" is Carol, and yes, he's a guy.  He's about the most knowledgable and most honest technician in the business.  He specializes in Yaesu.  If if can be fixed, Carol can fix it.  Look at his website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: