Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing alkaline batteries  (Read 775 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »

I have been searching to find out where is the best place to store alkaline batteries and am getting conflicting answers. Some say the refridgerator and then some say no. They also say in a cool dry place or at about 70 degrees. Maybe someone has a good answer, also what would be the length of time that they can be stored before using? Tnx, Bill
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »

I use the fridge.  In the kitchen, I use the bin on the door, It keeps the stable for a long ime.  In the shack I use the bottom of the mini fridge.

I once  had access to a large number of 6 v lantern batteries, which we used in our fishing lanterns.  We put about 1/3 in the fridge,  and froze the rest.  we were using these for several years.  But one tip, let the frozen batteries  thaw out to room temp before using.  if used while frozen, the put out too much current and  blow out the filiments in the blubs.

I  have a grand sone living here and we buy the zillion battery packs at the big box store and throw them in the fridge, they last for ever that way.

I don't know the reason behind the  operation, but I have a feeling that the lowered temprature slows down the chemical interaction inside the battery.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »

Batteries are always something to dicuss in great detail  Grin
So I rather recommend http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries where you can find a wealth of information.
Basically I would not store alkaline batteries for more than two years in a dry about 60°F place. The refrigerator is already to cool. Save the place to keep the beer cool  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: