Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Identifying yourself as QRP station  (Read 4367 times)
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »

OK, so I know that QRP is officially 5W, and whenever I run 5W only I identify my station as "callsign-stroke-QRP", either when calling CQ myself or answering a CQ or QRZ call.  I have noticed that many operators will give preference to my QRP station during pile-ups and reply "QRP station only, please try again".  This is very helpful when getting through a pile-up where most other operators are running hundreds of watts.

But what about 10W?  10W is no longer officially QRP, so I don't want to take advantage of the situation and identify myself as a QRP station.  But on the other hand, I am at disadvantage vs. guys running 500W or 1KW or more.  I could re-tune the radio to reduce power to 5W only and call myself /QRP, but that's counterproductive - I do want my full 10W output to get through with a stronger signal.

I have tried "callsign-stroke-portable", but I'm not sure if this appropriate either.

By the way, I am talking about portable operations where running anything more powerful than 10W is not practical (the radio is not that heavy, but the batteries are).

What do you call yourself when running 10W (or anywhere above "official" 5W QRP, but less than 100W)?

S. Bucki
KD8KQH

W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »

I never advertise the fact when I operate QRP, except in ARRL Sweepstakes when I send my precedence as 'Q'.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »

From all that I have read and seen on the internet about qrp ops,the general concensus is 5 watts max. for cw and 10 watts max. for qrp/ssb.

73,Jim

WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »

Back in '79 when I got my (then) new Argonaut 509 I sent /qrp a lot. After about a year I just dropped the practice and I've heard a number of the guru's say they've done the same. This is especially appropriate when you are sitting at the "watering holes", say ..060 where a lot of traffic is qrp anyway.

I know some like to send the /qrp in pileups but I suspect its counterproductive when you seem to have microseconds to send the info....and in my case I kept my long call sign I've had since day one. By the time I send WB0FDJ/qrp the dx station is already answering someone else. When I do make a dx contact, even the short ones, I will add.....599 qrp TU... just to let the other guy know why he's struggling to pull me out. Of course I am assuming CW here....

Just one man's opinion FWIW.
73 de WB0FDJ  DOC
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »

Oh...and just to add....if you are sending anything more than 5 watts, by definition you are no longer "qrp". Yeah, still at about the same power level but not qrp by existing standards. When you think about it, where would you stop? If we were transmitting 20 W or 30 W would any of us send /qrp?

DOC WB0FDJ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »

It bugs me on 60 meters when I hear stations IDing as  /qrp when they're running 5 watts or even more. Legal max power on 60 meters is about 50 Watts (the exact power definition on 60 is imprecise). 

Would you consider 1/10 maximum legal power to be anything special or deserving of mention?
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »

Back in '79 when I got my (then) new Argonaut 509 I sent /qrp a lot. After about a year I just dropped the practice and I've heard a number of the guru's say they've done the same. This is especially appropriate when you are sitting at the "watering holes", say ..060 where a lot of traffic is qrp anyway.

I know some like to send the /qrp in pileups but I suspect its counterproductive when you seem to have microseconds to send the info....and in my case I kept my long call sign I've had since day one. By the time I send WB0FDJ/qrp the dx station is already answering someone else. When I do make a dx contact, even the short ones, I will add.....599 qrp TU... just to let the other guy know why he's struggling to pull me out. Of course I am assuming CW here....

Just one man's opinion FWIW.
73 de WB0FDJ  DOC

I agree with Doc, its useless to me in contests and DX'ing. By the time you get all that out the other station could have worked another station or 2. Then your out of the rhythem. I dropped the /QRP long ago. I do identify myself as QRP a couple times when I call "CQ QRP" although Doc makes a good point that if your calling around the QRP freqs most of the time (but not all) stations there are running QRP.
One time I worked A33A not anywhere near a QRP frequency so I was really happily surprised when I got a QSL back the indicated a 2xQRP QSO. (My QSL Cards do indicate I'm QRP.) Neither one of us knew we were both QRP at the time of the contact.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »

I normally do not send /qrp after my callsign. I normally do not make duplicate band/mode qso's with dxpeditions.  With a recent qso, however, I indulged myself in exceptions to both of these rules.

I had made an easy qso with T32C on 80 meters running 1.0 KW.  Several days later, I heard them again on 80 meters at my sunrise with an outstanding signal.  They weren't very busy, so I called them using my K2-10 set at 5 watts and I signed ni0c/qrp.  They came right back!   By signing /qrp I was conveying that I wasn't duping them just for the heck of it. 

I also rationalized this one by considering that T32 is not that rare, and that this particular expedition is seeking to set new records over the course of a month of operations. 

Chuck  NI0C 
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:20:35 AM »

I normally do not send /qrp after my callsign. I normally do not make duplicate band/mode qso's with dxpeditions.  With a recent qso, however, I indulged myself in exceptions to both of these rules.

I had made an easy qso with T32C on 80 meters running 1.0 KW.  Several days later, I heard them again on 80 meters at my sunrise with an outstanding signal.  They weren't very busy, so I called them using my K2-10 set at 5 watts and I signed ni0c/qrp.  They came right back!   By signing /qrp I was conveying that I wasn't duping them just for the heck of it. 

I also rationalized this one by considering that T32 is not that rare, and that this particular expedition is seeking to set new records over the course of a month of operations. 

Chuck  NI0C 

Good one, Chuck. I worked them running 5 watts on 80 also but with a K2. They hear everything. Its amazing - and this is their backup plan!?!? - What the heck is in the stuff they are missing? Giant oracles?

You just had the sequence out of order. You should have started with 5 watts  Grin (I'm just teasing you now, Chuck, so don't take me seriously)
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »

quote from NU4B:
You just had the sequence out of order. You should have started with 5 watts   

Actually, Larry, I should have done it that way.  That's because I really didn't need T32 on 80 meters.  I've seen some people claiming QRP qso's with them on 160m.  I didn't try that from this QTH-- was grateful for the new one running full power.

Chuck  NI0C
W2LJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

I never identify as /QRP - ever.

In a DX pileup, I think the DX op is looking for the first call he can make out clearly.  IMHO, adding extra characters to your call is a detriment, not a bonus.  The guys who run full blast never add a /QRO after their calls.    Smiley

I've run QRP exclusively since 2003.  I always tell anyone who asks for advice about QRPing to just forget about the power level and just operate like any other station.  You're just another fish (maybe a bit smaller) in a big pond - no more, no less.

Larry W2LJ
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »

I do not  identify myself as QRP. After a contact is established, I give my 5 watt power info. That should suffice. However, when I am near the usual QRP calling frequencies, I do send /QRP advising other QRPers that another member of that niche is around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: