Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmitting trips CGFI's in house...  (Read 2637 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:42 AM »

I had a 240 V 40 A GFI breaker in my panel that had been in use with my hot tub. Hot tub is long gone and when I put up a new storage shed I used half the GFI for 110 to the shed.

With 100 watts that GFI was fine. With 500 watts it tripped off, same goes for one I have at the front of my house. Most of the amp use is on 80 and 40.

Moving the antennas did not solve the problem.

Two weeks ago the GFI in the panel tripped. I went to reset it and it would not reset. Many times I tried to reset it, no go. Finally pulled it out, put in a 15 amp breaker and have had no problems with it tripping.

That GFI breaker cost $220 when originally bought about 10 years ago. I am sure the electronics in it got fried by the RF. The one at the front of the house will be changed also, it is a GFI outlet. I need to change it because I plug Christmas lights into it. Pain in the butt resetting it every night during Christmas season!

Funny thing is I have a GFI outlet in the bathroom and another on the back deck, both have been there for many years and neither one of those are effected by the RF.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »

Likely RF in the shack.

One thing we had a Field Day was an OEM van with a GFCI. At night, it started tripping the GFCI. We determined that the night dew, was causing it to trip continuously. When we lifted the outlet boxes of the wet dew, it stopped. We then put them on a chair until morning.

My point is, make sure your rig is not on a GFCI circuit. It really sounds like RF, which you should be able to cure. But I just threw out the Field Day story because it was an odd one.

Addendum: I just read the follow up posts, and sometimes it is better if I wait to read the entire thread. But that info about newer GFCI that are RFI proof is great info, as I did not even know about them. Lots of good info on the followup responses.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:48:55 AM by N4NYY » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:12:42 AM »

I have no RF in my shack, and the breaker panel is not beside the shack.

I think some of those GFI's just can't handle any high power RF near them. J-U-N-K  Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: