Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ten meter Ham rig - Magnum 257HP  (Read 47748 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »

You're missing the point.  A spark gap will generate RF, so it's a radio.  That doesn't mean it should be used though
REGNAR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »

No,YOU are missing the point,the radio works perfect on 10 meters and was even bought at a ham radio store and any licensed ham who buys it can legally operate it on 10 meters,so once again,it IS a 10 meter radio that can,just like all other ham radios be modified.
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »

KE5JPP is right! I have an Alinco DX77 HF base rig. With a snip or deletion of one wire I can now transmit on ALL frequencies from the AM broadcast bands through 11 meters. I donot and will not do this, but I now can use this rig on 60 meters, where before I could not. So it is not hard to convert any radio for the CB bands. I detest the freebanders, but they know this too! Anything can be FCC accepted, but easily modified, no matter who makes the rig. The only difference I can see is that dedicated ham rigs are "clean" on transmit, where these other so called 10 meter rigs are not. That alone should be reason enough to ban them for sale.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »

Used to be alot of plans to convert xtal controlled CB rigs to work on 10 meters. Basically buying 10M xtals and repeaking the radios. Probably people still do that. I heard there are 10M AM groups on several freqs.  And CBs were once used by the CAP on their 26 MHz freq by swapping two xtals for a CB channel between tx and rx sockets and of course, retuning the radio. However, I too am uneasy with radios made available to CBers that allow them to start poking around on 10M. I have also had one of the ham HF rigs that only required moving a slide switch (FT-767) to make it an all band wide open radio. This made it usable as a CAP/Shares radio and I worked a bunch of federal radio stations on oddball bands at one time with it. I guess then, it is considered officially as a CAP MARS mod, then. I don't recall ever trying to contact MAGNUM 357 or any of his knucklehead buddies on the upper range of 27 MHz!
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »

No,YOU are missing the point,the radio works perfect on 10 meters and was even bought at a ham radio store and any licensed ham who buys it can legally operate it on 10 meters,so once again,it IS a 10 meter radio that can,just like all other ham radios be modified.

You are wasting your breath.  You mention CB and most of these Hams turn rabid as if CB was the worst thing in the universe.  Who cares about all the LID Hams that you hear running full smoke, splattering up and down the band on their "approved" Ham equipment every single day on 80, 40, and 20 meters.  Just check out 14.313 sometime.  Or tune in the evening anywhere on 80 meter SSB and listen to all the Hams using CB lingo they claim to hate so much.  A lot of LID Hams get out their Golden Screwdrivers and tweak all the pots to full smoke in their "approved" Ham rigs too.  They turn their "approved" Ham rigs into splattering, IMD generating, expensive CB radios that they use on the Ham bands, just like the CBers they talk so bad about.

If your 10 meter radio works well on 10 meters and you keep your screwdriver out of it (don't crank all pots to full smoke) then there is nothing wrong in using it on 10 meters.

Gene
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:38:20 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KF7OAA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »

How many people got started with cb radio before they got there ham license?  I think that the cb band is a great way to recruit more ham radio operators, as long as they do not transmit in the 10 meter band.  I was into Cb radios before i became a ham, that is what led me to become a ham in the first place.  As for the radio, it would be a good project for someone if they wanted to ad a filter of two to clean up the transmit of the radio.  This is just what i think.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »

If it does not have VFO, it is not a ham radio. And I am still a CBer and I say that.

The only thing I would consider a 10M radio is the HR-2510 or its sister. Perfect starter rigs for techs.
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

There are a lot of ham radios without VFOs.  I have a Drake 2-NT CW transmitter.  Great rig, just like the one I had when I was a Novice in junior high school.  About 70 watts output and it's CW-only.  It uses crystals.  No VFO.  No microphone.  Hook up a straight key to it, and you're set.  Works on 10 meters, too.  Funny thing is--I also own a Magnum 257HP, but I hardly ever use it.  I keep meaning to put it in my truck and use it on my drive to work--there's a lot of activity around 28.400 in my neck of the woods. 

73, Tony
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »

It isn't a question of whether or not the radio is being used by a licensed ham or by a chicken bander.  The real point is that these type of radios and not legally imported into the US, and sales of these radios is also illegal.  It's a grey area since some people claim that the use of the radio is not illegal, but since importation is illegal, you could well argue that point.
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »

I have watched this thread for a while.

Why is it here?

This is for:

"Site Talk
Comments, Complaints, and Questions about eHam.net welcome here!"
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »

I have watched this thread for a while.

Why is it here?

This is for:

"Site Talk
Comments, Complaints, and Questions about eHam.net welcome here!"

You need to read the post that started the thread.  It indicated a dissatisfaction with how eHam is operated.

eHam will continue to remove, from the reviews or classifieds, or any other place on the site, radios that appear to be targeted at the CB community.  Just because something or parts of something *can* be used on a ham band, or by a ham, or by a ham on a ham band, doesn't mean it is "ham equipment".

Mike N2MG
Locking thread
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:26:46 AM by N2MG » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: