Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "That USED to be a rare one ..."  (Read 3097 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »

Don't get me wrong: I'm VERY grateful to the recent and very successful DXpeditions to various exotic places--they've done a great job handing out new countries and new bands to The Deserving!

But did you EVER think you'd hear a comment like this?

Q:  "Was there any good DX this weekend?"

A:  "Naaah, just a bunch of T32's and OJ0's and 3D2's."   Wink   Wink   Wink   Wink
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »

Depends on experience. Up to a point, "rare" is defined as a country/entity I need. After getting to or close to the top. "rare" becomes something not often heard. Rare is talking abut the weather with Gus on Bouvet; having a ZD9 call you to discuss his golf game; waiting while  your friend in 9U chases away the gorillas from his tower. It's all perception.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

I have never found T32 to be that rare, at least since I started operating in 1981.  Now how about the case when you hear a ZA calling CQ and you pass by because you already have Albania confirmed on that band and mode.  Who would have ever thought that would happen!

73s John AA5JG

Not only Albania but China and Mongolia. I remember the Hungarian Dxpedition to Mongolia. And I worked them. I never got to work the first timers that put BY on the air. But that was exciting after decades of Radio Peking. In fact I think the only way to work zone 23 back then was to catch a Soviet ham in that little sliver of Asiatic Russia that resides in Zone 23. And I was fortunate to catch one of those. RV0YF I believe. And the very slow but ever sure PO Box 88. (Actually still in use) But back then it was the (I think) Central Radio Club. Back then it seemed so clandestine to work those guys on CW and then 2, 3, 4, years later get QSL cards from the deepest regions of Soviet Russia. When the bureau cards came in and there was a card from Tajikistan or Uzbekistan or wherever it was exciting (and eerie in some ways in the context of the cold war). It was like you got a card from a different planet.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »

A nice touch is that there are more hams operating in developing countries and using better equipment. A global economy plus for hams everywhere!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »

T32C just announced their 100,000th QSO in less than 2 weeks. And still a couple weeks to go. I think that will sufficiently move it to the "USED to be a rare one" category for some time.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »

That's what VP6DX did for Ducie.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:00:15 AM »

Not only Albania but China and Mongolia ... ... In fact I think the only way to work zone 23 back then was to catch a Soviet ham in that little sliver of Asiatic Russia that resides in Zone 23.

I remember that time well, that was why I was so excited back in 1979 to work U0Y on a DXpedition to Tuva in that little sliver of zone 23; there were no Chinese stations in zone 23 then. I finally got the card a few years ago, AFTER NEARLY 30 YEARS OF TRYING!! In fact, I think I'll put a pic of the card on my webpage http://k3stx.com/

Of course, now that I have that valuable card I have Chinese zone 23 contacts confirmed hand over fist, go figure.

I think the uninhabited islands will always be "rare", but with so many needing them they get activity. It is places like North Korea,Yemen, and Bhutan, with big populations and political problems, that tend to be difficult (I think Albania USED to be like that, now we pass them over routinely in search of "rare" DX). But their political problems will eventually work themselves out and they will be as easy to work as Albania. The trick as a DXer is to live that long.

paul
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:03:32 AM by K3STX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »

The team at T32C sure did that for the Comoros when they operated D68C in 2001.  I even worked them on 10 meter FM!  Had never heard a D6 before they went there.
I think since then, the only operation from D6 has been Vlad Bykov, UA4WHX operating as D60VB for a few days in 2007. There's another one that could use a big operation within a few years. Demand is starting to creep back up.

I do remember when OJ0 was rare. I think it took me three years before I finally nabbed my first one and the going was slow in building up bands/modes in the years following. It took me until just this past month to finally have them worked on CW and SSB from 10-160 plus a couple of RTTY Qs for good measure.

I also remember waiting for forever for the Vatican. Although it's still not on all that often, there are HV activations once or twice a year now whereas they had been silent from the time I got on until 2005. The pileups for HV0A were insane at the time.

Saudi Arabia is another one that's seen an explosion of activity since 2001. My only one for the longest time was a guy who only worked DX nets and that one QSO was my only Saudi station (US gov't employee) for three years.

I think the uninhabited islands will always be "rare", but with so many needing them they get activity. It is places like North Korea,Yemen, and Bhutan, with big populations and political problems,

I wouldn't consider Bhutan to have either a big population or political problems. Now that they've opened their borders -- albeit in a limited fashion -- they're supposedly quite ham-friendly (if you're willing to pay a rather high license fee). Myanmar, on the other hand, I'd lump in there with P5 and 7O.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:19:42 AM by W2IRT » Logged

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

I hate to tell you guys this, but T32, 3D2, and OJ0 were not really all that rare anymore.....They may have been in demand as most wanted entities, but they weren't really all that rare....Over the years there have been many expeditions (and even at least one guy living there) to T32.....and OJ0 is activated at least twice a year for the SAC contests........But for you you newer guys, I can see where there would be some idea of these being rare.........Now if you're talking about a bunch of P5s or Heard or Macquarie Islands on the bands, that's a different story.....All in the eye of the beholder and how much air time you have had I suppose....

V
KA3NRX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »

I hate to tell you guys this, but T32, 3D2, and OJ0 were never really all that rare anymore, at least for as long as I have been operating.....They may have been in demand as most wanted entities, but they weren't really all that rare....Over the years there have been many expeditions (and even at least one guy living there) to T32.....and OJ0 is activated at least twice a year for the SAC contests........But for you you newer guys, I can see where there would be some idea of these being rare.........Now if you're talking about a bunch of P5s or Heard or Macquarie Islands on the bands, that's a different story.....All in the eye of the beholder and how much air time you have had I suppose....

V
KA3NRX

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »

This also depends on where you are when you consider something rare or at least "infrequent." There was a fisherman who'd landed on Crozet for a day or two here and there the last few years and I'm betting that he worked mostly southern Europe, South America and JAs - for the US Crozet would be vastly rarer/harder. The south Pacific is extremely difficult from northern Europe and I'll bet that T32C is needed by a far bigger percentage of Gs, PAs and EIs (etc) than JAs and NA ops of either coast. 1A is local to EU, easy from the east coast but probably very difficult, thus far more rare, for W6s.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

I don't hear Reunion on near as much as I used to. 
73s John AA5JG

DJ7RJ is there right now and has been on every evening here around 10.107 MHz. Nice sigs and knows how to work a pile-up.

paul
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »

TI9 is a chip shot from here but it hasn't been active recently.  There was a big DXpedition there back in 2002 but I don't think there has been one since then, so lots of US hams probably need it.

73s John AA5JG

Worked TI9KK on 4 bands in 2008.  Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

(and even at least one guy living there) to T32.....aV
KA3NRX

I think you are speaking of T32TV, Tov.  I heard him calling CQ back in September on 20 meters. He has a US manager, KH6CG.

NU1O/Chris
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »

Actually, Chris, I am referring to T32AN...I believe his name was Phil....This guy was actually in the DX portion of the old ARRL propaganda video from the 1980s that featured Roy Neal and Barry Goldwater..I'll have to run that video to verify this....This guy lived on the island literally in what was a small blue shed...you can't make that stuff up!.....:-D.....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:39:47 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: