Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signalink USB Hook-Up (Help)  (Read 4597 times)
KR6ER

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »

I have a Kenwood TS-480, Computer, Signalink USB, and all cables and I need help connecting everything for Digital in the shack.  I already connected the line from the mic input to the radio and I can hear PSK31 talk via my software (Digital Master 780), I have the pins set in the signalink for my radio, I just need talked through the final stages to get it on-line. 
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »

Jonathan,

GM from the SF North Bay. 
If I read this correctly you have connected the Signalink USB to the Radio's MIC Jack.
If that is correct then that is really the wrong way to do it

Your TS-480 has whats called a DataPort on the Rear of the Radio.
(See page 78 of the TS-480 User Manual)

There are several reasons for using the DataPort and that is:

1. You won't have to Disconnect the Mic when you want to switch from Voice to Digital.

2. Using the DataPort and keeping the Mic plugged in, when you TX the Radio will disconnect the MIC from the Circut so NO Hot Mic picking up back ground sounds.

3. The AF Gain (Volume) control does not affect the Audio on the DataPort, so you can turn down the Volume with out loosing the Signal on the Waterfall.

4. If you have a old broken PC PS2 Keyboard the plug on the end is 6pins and will work just fine on the DataPort. Just wire it into an Cat5 Ethernet cable or Purchase the cable from either Tigertronics, DX Engineering or where ever you bough it from.

The Only Pins you will need will be 1, 2, 3 and 5.

Also I just sent you an Email with Screen Shots from Tigertronics Website.

You may also want to get the Circut Board Module.
In doing so you will not have to deal with the Wire Jumpers inside the Signalink USB.

Again I highly recommend not using the Mic Jack!

This is only my opinion.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »

Jonathan,

As Steve suggested, using the data port would be better.

However, you can use the mic port for now until you make or purchase the right cable. If you can't transmit it is quite possible that you have the jumpers set wrong.  If you look at the Tigertronics website (http://www.tigertronics.com/sl_wirebm.htm) there are two ways to set the jumpers for the TS-480. Make sure you have you follow the diagram for the RJ-45 mic connector.

But even before that, when you attempt to transmit, does the PTT light on the Signalink turn on? If it doesn't, that means you don't have your sound card settings configured correctly.  Assuming that you are using a computer with Windows, if you follow the Signalink manual step by step, you should at least be able to get your computer to activate the PTT relay in the Signalink.

Ray
KR6ER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »

Thanks Steve and Ray, yes you were both right.  Turns out all I needed was the USB cable into my computer and the Data cable into my radio.  Last night I made contact with UA0KEF (Russia) with only 50 watts into a G5RV.  Not bad, now when I shift from 20 meters to say 40 meters, that in voice is usually LSB is it still the same in PSK31?  I cannot seem to read any 40 meter PSK31 on the waterfall, are they using something other than PSK31?

Jon
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »

Jon,

You are more than welcome. I would like to know how you have the Signalink connected. One of the BIGGEST issues with using the MIC Jack on the Radio is over driving it and splattering a wide signal. The next Stateside Station that you work ask them if they see Railroad Tracks on each side of your Signal. Your PSK31 Signal should be only a max of 50htz. Anything wider is splatter. Keep your ALC as low as possible.
Now on Icom Radio using the DataPort I always recommend setting the Power at 100watts and Mic Gain down to Zero, that is if you are using the 13pin Din DataPort which in Radios like my IC-718 does donot cut off the Mic Audio so I always have an Hot Mic unless I manually lower the Mic Gain.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Jon

The convention is USB on all bands. Actually it doesn't matter with PSK31 as it will work with either side band. However, the calling frequencies for PSK31 are assuming you are in USB.  On 40m, set your VFO to 7.035 MHz, USB mode. You should see plenty of activity in the early evening to about midnight. Generally when 20m is closed people migrate to 40m.

Ray
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »

Ray's statement is only true assuming that you are using BPSK which is what most people use with PSK31.

If you are on the opposite sideband from the other station and you both decide to switch to QPSK because of degrading signals you will lose the other guy. It is safest to stick with USB for PSK31 regardless of the band choice.

Michael VE3WMB

Jon

The convention is USB on all bands. Actually it doesn't matter with PSK31 as it will work with either side band. However, the calling frequencies for PSK31 are assuming you are in USB.  On 40m, set your VFO to 7.035 MHz, USB mode. You should see plenty of activity in the early evening to about midnight. Generally when 20m is closed people migrate to 40m.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: