Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF setup  (Read 2518 times)
ALVOID54

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »

Hello, I recently purchased my first HF receiver, an Icom IC-750 which I was told is the Japanese version of the IC-751. I am having some problems. I have no receive other than static on any channel. Also, I have no transmit on AM. When I try to transmit on AM, all I hear is a buzz. I am running this radio on an Antron 99 with a 52 amp Pyramid power supply. When I hook up my amateur Magnum radio, I get lots of receive and I am able to transmit on AM. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I really appreciate any help the forum members could offer to this newbie. Thanks.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »

Hello...

I'm going to be nice.

From the tone and content of your post, it might make folks think that you have acquired an amateur radio transceiver that you wish to us on CB.

If that is indeed the case, I would not expect too much help with that on this website. We, as a group, usually don't assist "freebanders" and CB'ers with rig modifications.

However, if you are interested in using your newly acquired radio legally, there probably is someone who can assist.

So... Which is it?

If you have a desire to SWL with the radio, or if you are licensed (callsign please) maybe we can assist.

Otherwise...

73 Gary 
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »

Since the title is"    first  HF set up"  that  might indicate a ham operation.
 Also  saying  you Magnum  works on the antenna  indicates  you do not have an antenna problem..(good trouble shooting technique<< seperate and substitute>>)
 but the rest is pretty  vague.
any change on the output of receive  if you just  touch the center pin on the coax connector ..   some  change n the background noise.?

work only on the receive problem..   one bug at a time..  and they may be  the same bug.
under stand that  the question you asked is like  you asking
"""my car wont start,,, whats wrong?HuhHuh""""
you need to collect alot of data   to ask the right quiestins.

what is the voltage at the input to the radio.
what does the S meter show .(tune strong signal on the magnum, then transfer antenna to   icom.. tune same place )
  take covers off and   tap  with a pencil  eraser  all around the boards.. any changes.
wiggle components.  tighten  mounting screws.  push on center off boards to test for cracks.
check knobs.. say  pushed in from falling on its face.
eyeball it from end to end.  look for machanical problems..

And if you really plan on using it on CB  then  just start  hammering on it with a  24 ounce  ball peen.

WA7RBC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »

I looked up "Magnum" radios and they are sold by CB shops, for example

http://www.truckers-store.com/magnum-10meter/

Do amateurs really use these?  They appear to be "channelized" (rather than having a direct frequency readout).  Since they are sold for 10M use, what channel scheme do they use?

73,  Ron.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »

Since the title is"    first  HF set up"  that  might indicate a ham operation.
And if you really plan on using it on CB  then  just start  hammering on it with a  24 ounce  ball peen.

Yes... But lets hear back from the original poster as to intent.

But... "Magnum whatevers" are most assuredly NOT amateur radios, and we as a group usually don't use AM on any "channels", do we?

Still waiting to hear back from the OP...

73 Gary
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:09 AM »

I looked up "Magnum" radios and they are sold by CB shops, for example

http://www.truckers-store.com/magnum-10meter/

Do amateurs really use these?  They appear to be "channelized" (rather than having a direct frequency readout).  Since they are sold for 10M use, what channel scheme do they use?

73,  Ron.

Nice!!  Cool  I like that 10/12m hand-held.
At least they put a disclaimer at the bottom:

Notice: All 10 Meter Radios are intended for use by amateur radio operators only.  A license from the FCC is required.
When you purchase a 10 Meter Radio, it is assumed you will abide by the proper regulations.  Truckers-Store.com assumes no responsibility for any misuse by the buyer.  Other restrictions may apply.

Eric
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »

Nice!!  Cool  I like that 10/12m hand-held.
At least they put a disclaimer at the bottom:

Notice: All 10 Meter Radios are intended for use by amateur radio operators only.  A license from the FCC is required.
When you purchase a 10 Meter Radio, it is assumed you will abide by the proper regulations.  Truckers-Store.com assumes no responsibility for any misuse by the buyer.  Other restrictions may apply.

Eric

Wow, a 10 meter hand held.. haven't seen one of those in a while. There was a company out years ago that had one (not a CB company), also had a 20m and maybe a 15m handheld?. That would be cool if it also did CW...
K7GLM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

Still waiting to hear back from the OP...

Still waiting.... Must be a transmitter problem...  Wink
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

the icom 750 and 751 are different radios,you got hudoed on that one, and try tuning the radio on 10 mtrs,adjust the load,tune it might bring the recieve up...73s de n0zna
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

As soon as I read "CHANNELS" in the OP's post I thought, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Now, how can this radio http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-cx4300300-Connex-CX4300-300-Export-10-Meter-Amateur-Radio-with-Silver-Face--Talkback---300Watt_41043681.html  

be a 10 meter rig when the CHANNEL SELECTOR says 40.

Plus, 300 watts on AM? Must have one hell of a set of final transistors in it  Grin

Now you have to laugh at the advertising for this 10/12 meter Hand Held
http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-magnum-1012-NEW-Magnum-1012-Handheld-Battery-Powered-10-12-Meter-Radio-with-SSB_1097478524.html

It shows 28.000 on the digital readout. Then they state this fact
This Handheld 10/12 Meter Radio is
40 channel AM and 40 channel USB and LSB

(28.000-29.690 MHz Frequency Range)

Then they state this fact.
Channels  40 AM, 40 LSB, 40 USB.
Frequency Range  26.965 to 27.405 MHz.
Frequency Control  Phase Lock Loop (PLL) synthesizer.
Frequency Stability  0.001%.
Operating Temperature Range  -5° F to +110° F
Size  7.5”(H) x 2.75”(W) x 1.5”(D).
Weight 9 oz.
Antenna Conductor BNC

TRANSMITTER:

Power Output AM, High:4 watts.
Low: 1 W SSB
High:6-7 watts, Low: 2W  PEP.
Modulation High-and low-level Class B
Amplitude Modulation

So which is it?