Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! I think I have an defective antenna or broken transmitter in my Icom 718  (Read 961 times)
KC9PBM

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

Nobody home?

Although I have had my General Class for a time, I amj just getting around to setting up my HF shack.  I have a Icom 718.  My problem is that I have tried CQ both on phone and PSK31 and have not established contact with anyone.  I have called until I am blue in the face and have had no luck. I don’t think I am getting out.  I am able to receive a signal when the bands are open. 

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Short of bringing my unit in to AES in Milwaukee, is there some test I can do to make sure my Icom 718 is transmitting a signal?

Consider the following about my station....

It is located in my basement.

Nothing is grounded.  (Not yet anyway)

My feedline is 100 ft coax.  (I could probably shorten this to about 30-40 ft)

Antenna is a Half Wave End Fed Antenna (Radiowavz EFH) about 35 feet long and is strung through my attic.

Antenna Tuner is an old MFJ basic model

I reset my Icom 718 to the factory settings two days ago.

I have electrical distribution lines running North and South on both the East and West sides of my lot.

I keep knocking but nobody’s home!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KC9PBM
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

What type of coax are you using?

What is the SWR on the coax when you are NOT using the tuner?

What SWR do you get when you use the tuner?

Do you have an external power meter or SWR meter (in the tuner perhaps?)

Are you trying to transmit on 20m?  (If your antenna is ~35' long, that should be the design band.)

If the SWR on the antenna is high, even using the tuner to lower it may not result in much radiated
power.  An external power or SWR meter should confirm that you have RF going down the coax.
If so, the next step is to verify that the power is actually reaching the antenna (not being lost in
the coax) and is being radiated by the antenna.

If you are able to tune the tuner for minimum SWR, that doesn't mean that the rest of the antenna
system is going to work efficiently, but it should at least mean that there is power coming out of
your radio.

Also, make sure that your RIT control is tuned off, and that you get the proper deflection on the ALC
and other meters when you are trying to transmit.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

Nobody home?

Although I have had my General Class for a time, I amj just getting around to setting up my HF shack.  I have a Icom 718.  My problem is that I have tried CQ both on phone and PSK31 and have not established contact with anyone.  I have called until I am blue in the face and have had no luck. I don’t think I am getting out.  I am able to receive a signal when the bands are open. 

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Short of bringing my unit in to AES in Milwaukee, is there some test I can do to make sure my Icom 718 is transmitting a signal?

Consider the following about my station....

It is located in my basement.

Nothing is grounded.  (Not yet anyway)

My feedline is 100 ft coax.  (I could probably shorten this to about 30-40 ft)

Antenna is a Half Wave End Fed Antenna (Radiowavz EFH) about 35 feet long and is strung through my attic.

Antenna Tuner is an old MFJ basic model

I reset my Icom 718 to the factory settings two days ago.

I have electrical distribution lines running North and South on both the East and West sides of my lot.

I keep knocking but nobody’s home!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KC9PBM

Do you have a 2 Meter mobile or HT?  If so, ask some hams who live close to you if they can hear you when you transmit on HF. 
KC9Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:10:12 AM »

Hi Mark,

How is your situation going? 

If the IC-718 is working fine then, there are really two items to look at: 1) coax, and 2) the antenna.  Regarding the coax: did you measure the continuity of the line before installation with an ohm meter?  There should be shorts from shield to shield and center pin to center pin, and no shorts from center pin to shield.  The length of the cable (100 ft) should not be a big concern at HF frequencies if you are using either RG-213 or RG-8X type of cables.

What is the VSWR of your antenna system?  What frequency is the antenna resonant at and what is the 1.5:1 SWR bandwidth at the resonant frequency and or frequncies?

Finally: What does the Power Output meter show when you are transmitting?

Whatever the case, I hope you have found the problem and have got on the air, and if not these points above should help to pin-point the issue(s).

Mike
KC9Q

N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »

Mark:  There is a menu setting on the IC718.  You have to enable the transmit, otherwise it is receive only.  I cannot remember which one, but it is in the hard set menu,(Power on with the select button pressed), this should get you going.  I would be surprised if it is not this.  Good Luck!

Scott..N3JJT
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »

Sounds like there are other things going on
re the rig "not transmitting"....

However......if you could get that antenna outside of the
attic it would make a world of difference, received and transitted signal wise.
But I think you know that.    Roll Eyes

Good luck and welcome to ham radio, we
need more guys on HF.  I really, really don't think this
is something you will have to send the radio back to the factory for,
if that makes you feel better!   Grin
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: