Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signalink USB Problem  (Read 6534 times)
KC3EF

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »

I tried connecting my Signalink USB to a ACER netbook running XP.  I cannot recieve any audio, but transmit seems to be fine. When I checked the the sound card setup in HRD, it told me that the mixer device needed to be installed.  I Googled this error and it found that the the Windows Audio Device not being started caused this error.  When I checked the USB Codec shows installed and the WindowsAudio is started and running.  I can't adjust the audio input or output level with the Signalink controls, just the windows controls.

When I tried the Signalink USB with my Win7 machine it works fine.   I want to use the ACER with my FT-817ND for a QRP portable station.

Any suggestions?

73's
Dick
KC3EF
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »

Dick,

I wish I had an answer for you. I run 3 Signalink USB Interfaces and have one of those connect to my Toshiba XP Laptop and running with NO issues. I don't see you as a user on the Yahoo Tigertronics Signalink User Group. Goto this link and join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TigertronicsSignaLink
Are you on Skype at all? If you don't get any help here drop me an Email but most diffidently check put the Yahoo User Group link.

de Steve KB6HOH
                                            kb6hoh AT comcast DOT net     
KC3EF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try the Yahoo group.  I think the problem is with drivers in XP Home, SP3 since it works fine on my Win7 laptop.  And I used it with no problem on my old XP laptop with my IC-7000.

73's and have a Happy New Year,

Dick
KC3EF
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

I think the problem is you have not select correct sound card. With you install drivers it adds another sound card to system and it can get confused on which card to use for what. Check device settings.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »

I ran my Signalink USB on my Acer netbook for months... until the Signalink went crazy and fried the control unit of my FT450.  $300 later (yaesu repair) and the Signalink was not repaired.  No problem with the netbook though.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

I ran my Signalink USB on my Acer netbook for months... until the Signalink went crazy and fried the control unit of my FT450.  $300 later (yaesu repair) and the Signalink was not repaired.  No problem with the netbook though.

Joel N5XTR,
Now I am very curious! How did the Signalink USB fry the FT450 Control Unit??
Were you NOT using the DataPort on the Rear Panel or were you using the Mic Jack?
1st time I have ever heard a Siganlink damaging the Radio on than Key down time!
More info please!

73 de Steve KB6HOH
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

Yes I was using the data port with the Signalinks supplied cables.  The Signalink started freakishly keying on and off by itself with out any programs running on the netbook.  The PC was on but no music, webpages, nor any program that would produce sound to make the signalink engage the PTT.  But it did and then my radio had a flashing TX light that would not go off after a billion resets.  I could not transmit on any band or any mode.

I have only worked SSB since I got my radio back that Yaesu Repair lost in their warehouse for a month and then reamed me by charging half the price of the rig for repair. 

I love my broken Signalink, I bought it when they first came out in 2007 and it worked great until turned its head.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:46:16 AM »

Have you run any tests on the SignaLink to verify that it is the real problem? It's quite possible that the SignaLink is the cause, but I can think of some other possibilities. It's possible that RF from the transmitter was getting back into the SignaLink or the computer USB and causing it to key on/off. It is possible that the computer USB port couldn't supply enough current to power the SignaLink reliably. It is possible that there was a USB or sound card driver issue in the computer. It is even possible that the radio itself had the issue. Since all the SignaLink does is ground the radio's PTT line I have to wonder why keying/unkeying it (even very rapidly) would damage the control board on the radio. It seems to me that the SignaLink would have to have some fault that applied voltage to the PTT line to damage the control board.

I sure wouldn't hook the SignaLink back up to the radio to test it, but you could test it with a multimeter and a sensitive set of headphones or an amplified speaker. Check that there is no voltage on the SignaLink PTT output. Then hook up an ohm meter and see that the resistance is very high when unkeyed and very low when keyed. Hook the headset or amplified speaker to the Signalink audio output and see if the audio tones sound normal.

I'd run some tests to verify before relegating the SignaLink to the scrap heap  Grin
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »

Sounds as if the radio chassis ground went through the Signalink USB ground line to the PC power supply then to the power cord ground lug due to either a interface jumper misconfiguration or a bad isolation component in the Signalink.

Ground the radio properly, and sacrifice the burnt $85 Signalink, saving the $750 FT-450. Get another Signalink, and start over.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:23 AM »

Joel,

That incident sounds real Freakish! I have been running the Signalink USB Interfaces since they 1st came out and have never heard this happening. Lets hope it is isolated incident. I would also send the Signalink to Tigertronics explaining what happen and ask them to look into it. IMHO!

73 de Steve KB6HOH
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

My commiserations on the smoked gear.

Before hooking up any other digital gear I would have a really good look at the station with regard to ground loops.
Theoretically, the signalink USB should completely isolate the PC from the radio and also be benign at the radio end.
The output is simply two audio transformers (completely isolated) and a set of isolated relay contacts (for Push To Talk).
So there should be no voltages at all on the output of the signalink except low level transformer coupled audio out.
The audio input is also transformer coupled, again to avoid any DC coupling which can provide a path for ground loop current.

I would use a multimeter to measure the voltages between the cases of the radio and PC and any other bits of gear that you will potentially connect together.
A voltage difference means that if you connect these items together, a current will flow, and could destroy gear again.

Good luck.

73s

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:56:06 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: