The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any 2 meter hams in the 55331/55317 Zip  (Read 3473 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

I was wondering if any of you out there in this zip can tell me if a hand held portable with the factory antenna will work the repeaters in our area?  I am looking at 2 meters and 440 mhz.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:04:24 PM by KD0PLD » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »

No luck I guess.  The downside of having only a few hams in the area.  Oh well, I'll just buy the radio and take my chances.

Sam
W9KDX
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »

Sam, I am not in your area so I can't say what would and would not work but I didn't want you to think no one cared.  If you know where the repeater antennas are located that will tell you a lot.  How close is your area from the antennas?  Any hills, buildings, trees in the way to block signal?  Is your home operating position near a window or in the basement?  Remember both bands are line of sight.  Keep that one single thing in mind and it may help you.  I too started out with a handheld and it wasn't long before I went to a mobile.  The handheld hasn't been keyed in almost a year.  If you are going to run mobile with the handheld you WILL need an external antenna.  Then there is the charger cord, then the mike cord.  Before you know it you are wrapped up in wires.  Hope this helped a little.  Good luck!

Duane
KD0LAV
KC9SFG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

This help?

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/local/index.asp?zip=55331&so=5&band=1
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

Go here: http://www.vanityhq.com/. Go to the ham locator in the left column, and type in your zip code.

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »

Sam, I am not in your area so I can't say what would and would not work but I didn't want you to think no one cared.  If you know where the repeater antennas are located that will tell you a lot.  How close is your area from the antennas?  Any hills, buildings, trees in the way to block signal?  Is your home operating position near a window or in the basement?  Remember both bands are line of sight.  Keep that one single thing in mind and it may help you.  I too started out with a handheld and it wasn't long before I went to a mobile.  The handheld hasn't been keyed in almost a year.  If you are going to run mobile with the handheld you WILL need an external antenna.  Then there is the charger cord, then the mike cord.  Before you know it you are wrapped up in wires.  Hope this helped a little.  Good luck!

Duane
KD0LAV

Thanks for the input; I know that people here care, there are just not many hams in my area and even fewer who use the UHF/VHF bands.  I know where the repeaters are and it could be hit or miss as to whether I will be able to reach them which is why I was hoping for someone who has actually connected.

In any case, the radio will be here in a day or two and I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:34:59 PM by KD0PLD » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
K0EKL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »

I live in northern Minnesota now, but until March I lived in Minneapolis, 55418. 55331 is Excelsior, MN, I think.

There are many repeaters in the metro  area but these are the big three and the most popular:

The 146.76 repeater is owned by the Twin Cities FM Club ( www.tcfmc.org ) The transmitter is located at I-394 and Hwy 169 and has a couple receive sites. They have a couple 440 repeaters, too. You should be able to get in to this repeater with an HT. They run a swap net every Saturday morning at 9:30 AM.

The Metro Area Repeater Association ( www.wd0wht.net ) runs the 146.85 repeater system which has 8 receive sites located all over the MPLS/St. Paul area. You should be able to get in to that repeater system, too, as there's a receiver in the 494/ Hwy 7 area. There's a swap net on this repeater system every Sunday evening at 7PM.

The 147.21 is owned by the Twin Cities Repeater Club (www.tcrc.org ). This system has 6 receive sites. One site is in Shorewood, so you should have no problem there.

If you can connect your HT to a simple 1/4 wave antenna outside or on your roof it will quadruple your coverage. Don't forget to call CQ on 146.52 occasionally. You never know who might answer!
KD8HAM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »

Lots of activity down in the Twin Cities area! I used to visit frequently (from Northern MN). HT should work well for you.

I used the Wouxun HT and then got an extended antenna and it worked wonders on both VHF and UHF. Most of the repeaters have multiple repeat sites and you should have no problem at all!

Keep us posted!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »

For UHF/VHF repeaters there is a couple of ways to go.

youi can use a HT from the house or car or on foot if the repeaters are fairly close to you. 

MFJ sells a gizmo ( MFJ_310) that hooks over the car window and you put you rubber duck out there and keep the ht in the car, it puts your antenna above the roof line.

A mobile with a trunk lip mount antenna wiill do most everything you want mobile ( eithe 2m/44 or both and with a modest outdoor antenna  will work in the house, but you ned to get coax, and a power supply.

You could also get a "shack in a box radio like the FT 857 or the IC 706 MII g and carry it from the house to the car and back.

Lots of ways to go.  go to the ARRL web site and search on local clubs, or even  exams, all thos exams  places have a contact person/ phone number listed so you can find  local hams.

or go to QRZ and bring up the search function for looking up local amhams.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »

qrz search  of  55331  shows  44 hams  in that   zip..
I have used my  5 wattt  wilson   HT and a  super stick  5/8 wave antenna,
to work into  82  machine in wausau  from  65 miles out..

(its all in the wrist) ha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: