Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re-installing XP  (Read 3498 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »

I had another topic going about a "missing or corrupt file...." on my desktop.
But thanks to help from my neighbor and W8JX, I have recovered my data (saved to this laptop).
I'm now trying to re-install XP on the desktop albeit to the original hard-drive notwithstanding the advice from W8JX about going to a new drive (a change to a new drive will happen in the very near future).
Anyway, I'm in territory in which I've never been before and encountering some terminology, which I've read before but never took time to understand.
Anyhow...somehow the screen-resolution is set at 640 by 480 and I don't like it.
The Dell monitor reports optimum resolution would be 1440 by 900.
To make that change, I've tried every control I could think of but have not been successful.
Any ideas to make that change would be appreciated.
BTW, my neighbor is away in DC for the weekend now, so he is not available for help.
73 Jerry km3k FN10je
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »

Well sounds like you did a basic "plain" install of XP from a early XP release and not a Dell restore/Install disk.  It defaults to 640x480 lacking video drivers for anything else. You will need to down load drivers from Dells site for this.  Did that laptop have a Install Cd or was it on a hidden partition. I want to say again though that I would not waste time doing this with old HD.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »

I had another topic going about a "missing or corrupt file...." on my desktop.
But thanks to help from my neighbor and W8JX, I have recovered my data (saved to this laptop).
I'm now trying to re-install XP on the desktop albeit to the original hard-drive notwithstanding the advice from W8JX about going to a new drive (a change to a new drive will happen in the very near future).
Anyway, I'm in territory in which I've never been before and encountering some terminology, which I've read before but never took time to understand.
Anyhow...somehow the screen-resolution is set at 640 by 480 and I don't like it.
The Dell monitor reports optimum resolution would be 1440 by 900.
To make that change, I've tried every control I could think of but have not been successful.
Any ideas to make that change would be appreciated.
BTW, my neighbor is away in DC for the weekend now, so he is not available for help.
73 Jerry km3k FN10je

If you look on the back of your machine, it should have a service number - write that down and go to Dell's site. Entering it will bring up a page full of download links for all the applicable drivers, download everything that says it's recommended. Should be video, Ethernet, Wifi, audio, BIOS at the very least. They'll download as executables, run them and follow the prompts (you'll likely have to restart the machine several times before they're all installed).

Save them to a disk or thumb drive and keep it with your bootable copy of Windows, to do it again if needed Smiley
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »

Hi W8JX,
Well sounds like you did a basic "plain" install of XP from a early XP release and not a Dell restore/Install disk.
Actually, I used the authentic Dell restore disk that came with the computer.
You will need to down load drivers from Dells site for this.
Dell included another disk labelled as having drivers and utilities. So I'll try that.
Well sounds like you did a basic "plain" install of XP from a early XP release and not a Dell restore/Install disk.  It defaults to 640x480 lacking video drivers for anything else. You will need to down load drivers from Dells site for this.  Did that laptop have a Install Cd or was it on a hidden partition. I want to say again though that I would not waste time doing this with old HD.
When I get something new that has documentation or whatever with it, I make up a folder and put all that kind of stuff in it.
Now, for this desktop computer, there is no install CD. I have no idea if this computer has a hidden partition nor do I know how to check if it did.
I want to say again though that I would not waste time doing this with old HD.
I've taken in that wise counseling but please understand that I'm working under a time-constraint that does not allow for me getting another drive today.
73 Jerry km3k
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »

Jerry

Hidden partitions are sometimes visible as "D" drive that will not let you actually see volume. It was done to save costs and not furnish a XP CD.  When it is present, usually you press and hold F9 key on many systems at power on boot up and it takes you to restore/reinstall menu.  When you upgrade HD and use cloning software that normally comes with it, it will transfer this partition to new HD as well.

The reason I seem to focus on drive replacement, if it is failing and it has a hidden restore partition, I want you to be able to clone that before HD dies.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:16:46 PM by W8JX » Logged

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »

hi,

drive makers have software to download that will
scan the drive, it will show all partitions and statistics.

you can also scan the drive and test for bad sectors
and repair (skip displace) at your option.

update:

I wrote repair because most of the time the utility can
read the poor sector and then shift the data to recover
the sector and flag it as bad in the table.

you are right, you should act quickly before things start
to get worse and you will be past the point of no return.

73 james
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:20:16 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 05:59:39 AM »

you can also scan the drive and test for bad sectors
and repair (skip displace) at your option.

This will merely mark sector in allocation table as unusable but not really "repair" it. Today most drives do this on their own with built in logic once there is a failure but it does not recover lost data. Also I might add when you install always use NTFS files system and not FAT32 which XP will default to. NTFS is a lot more robust and can correct some errors transparently that FAT32 will not.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 06:41:09 AM »

Also I might add when you install always use NTFS files system and not FAT32 which XP will default to. NTFS is a lot more robust and can correct some errors transparently that FAT32 will not.[/quote]
I think I chose NTFS but I'd like to verify that.
What would you suggest as the right way to check that NTFS is "in play"?
73 Jerry km3k
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »

Also I might add when you install always use NTFS files system and not FAT32 which XP will default to. NTFS is a lot more robust and can correct some errors transparently that FAT32 will not.
73 Jerry km3k
[/quote]

Under admin tools and in disk manager.

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »

Also I might add when you install always use NTFS files system and not FAT32 which XP will default to. NTFS is a lot more robust and can correct some errors transparently that FAT32 will not.
73 Jerry km3k

[/quote]

Also I believe you can right-click the drive (C:\ I assume) and click "properties" and it will show the file system above the pie-chart.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »

Yep! that worked; I found it in 'Disk Management'.
There I see four volumes, two of which are have no label and the other two are 'C:' and 'D:'.
For the two with no label....
one is FAT (EISA configuration) with capacity of 39 MB and free-space 31 MB.
the other is FAT32 (unknown partition) with capacity of 3.26 GB and free-space 173 MB.
'C:' is NTFS with capacity of 52.70 GB and 47% free.
'D:' is NTFS with capacity of 18.49 GB and 97% free; labelled as 'backup'.

Out of curiousity, might you be able to explain why FAT and FAT32 are being used there?
Thanks for the help.
73 Jerry km3k
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »

Also I believe you can right-click the drive (C:\ I assume) and click "properties" and it will show the file system above the pie-chart.
That works; it reports "NTFS" and shows "C" drive capacity and free area.
It is of interest that this approach does not show the two unlabelled "drives" (is that the right terminology?) found in the W8JX method.
Thanks for the help.
73 Jerry km3k
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »

That works; it reports "NTFS" and shows "C" drive capacity and free area.
It is of interest that this approach does not show the two unlabelled "drives" (is that the right terminology?) found in the W8JX method.
Thanks for the help.
73 Jerry km3k

Because disk manager will show all info about drives. Also restore partitions that have the install CD on HD at always formatted FAT32 so system can see it via a "hook" in BIOS to restore from as a NTFS needs a driver to mount volume. They are marked hidden so normal right click utilities will not see them. Disk manager sees everything. The 39meg FAT is/was unallocated space (it shows some being used as that is FAT's allocations structure) or may be being used a boot loader for restore.  (it is hard to say with seeing it) The FAT32 one is the actual restore partition.

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »

The re-install of XP-home is not going very well.

Problem#1 is the system cannot find my network-connection, so I have no Internet.
As I understand it, clicking on Control-Panel->Network-connections should show an IP-address, a subnet-mask and a gateway-default.
Well, nothing shows up.
I did take off the tower's cover to do a visual check in the region where the yellow-cable connects to the tower; see nothing unusual there.

Problem#2 is a concern.
When I bought the computer-system from Dell, it came with XP-home installed on it.
I'm finding out now that XP-home uses Outlook-Express.
However, I think my computer had Outlook installed because I have pst files.
Yet the re-install put in Outlook-Express (which uses dbx files).
I have looked, by using Windows-Explorer, at the contents of both of my Dell disks (one for re-install and the other has drivers) and see nothing there about Outlook.
My XYL will have my head if I lose her email stuff; I won't be too happy if I lose my email stuff.

The re-install is not going very well. Oh, yes; I said that before.
I have so many hours into this mess; I'm starting to think about just getting a new tower (with Windows7) and it won't be a Dell unit.
73 Jerry km3k
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:28:40 AM by KM3K » Logged
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »

I haven't supported Dells in a while, but last I knew you can look up the computer via Service Tag and see all the available drivers.

You'll have to do that from someone elses computer at this point,download them to a thumb drive, etc because you won't have a functioning network (easily) until you load the drivers. If Windows doesn't see a valid network interface, it won't load the TCP stack (which means you'll see nothing for IP/Subnet).

XP Home is (in my opinion) garbage, but its not like XP pro will make this easier..it will still lack drivers.

Outlook probably came w/ a stripped-down version to Office (Office Home or something).  You CAN buy Outlook singularly but its more worth it to buy the suite.

In the end you can also call Dell and order a replacement disc-set.  I'd also move those .pst files to a USB thumb drive or something if you haven't already. I didn't read the entire thread so I may have missed that.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: