Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re-installing XP  (Read 3701 times)
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »

The original problem of the 640 x 480 screen indicates that the proper video driver for the machine may not have been loaded.  A common problem, I've seen it before with Dell machines... and Compaqs, and HPs, and other brands as will.  Anyway, it ought to have been on the Dell drivers & utilities CD.

Using the Service Tag information on the machine, you should be able (from another machine) to go to Dell's site, look up the machine, and see what was installed.  The Dell drivers CD is a bit generic for multiple models and options, so it helps to know what is what.

You can also upload updated drivers from Dell's site.  You may have to put them on a thumb drive or burn them to a CD and transfer them.  Same for the Network drivers.

Outlook and Outlook Express are two different packages.  In order to read the existing Outlook files, you'd have to reinstall that on the machine.  If Outlook, or more likely a flavor of Microsoft Office, came with the machine, you should still have that CD as well.  You'd have to reinstall the proper version to read the files correctly, but they are still there.

One of the FAT32 parititions is probably the start-up diagnostics & setup routines.  I'd be very, very careful about deleting that partition.

I wish I could give you a hand with this, but Carlisle is almost 4 hours away from Pittsburgh, it's just not practical!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:55:31 PM by W3WN » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »

The re-install of XP-home is not going very well.

Problem#1 is the system cannot find my network-connection, so I have no Internet.
As I understand it, clicking on Control-Panel->Network-connections should show an IP-address, a subnet-mask and a gateway-default.
Well, nothing shows up.
I did take off the tower's cover to do a visual check in the region where the yellow-cable connects to the tower; see nothing unusual there.

Problem#2 is a concern.
When I bought the computer-system from Dell, it came with XP-home installed on it.
I'm finding out now that XP-home uses Outlook-Express.
However, I think my computer had Outlook installed because I have pst files.
Yet the re-install put in Outlook-Express (which uses dbx files).
I have looked, by using Windows-Explorer, at the contents of both of my Dell disks (one for re-install and the other has drivers) and see nothing there about Outlook.
My XYL will have my head if I lose her email stuff; I won't be too happy if I lose my email stuff.

The re-install is not going very well. Oh, yes; I said that before.
I have so many hours into this mess; I'm starting to think about just getting a new tower (with Windows7) and it won't be a Dell unit.
73 Jerry km3k

Jerry,

Not sure exactly what you are doing. First, you MUST install NIC/network adaptor drivers too. You will need to down load them to another PC and place them on a CD or a ZIP stick of 2 gig or less (bigger ones needs drivers too with XP) On Outlook, if it was installed, if you re-install Outlook it will pickup old PST file. It will have to be re-installed.

Figure out yet why I told you to wait for new HD and start over? You could wind up doing this again soon. Do not give up on XP as with a fresh install on a new HD with good hardware is a still a solid machine for some tasks. Win7 is a new can of worms in other regards.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

hi,

this is how you can change the screen setting

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

don't worry about outlook, after you get your network card
drivers and configured, the windows updates should grab
all the IE and Outlook to get you current.

this may help

http://mikenation.net/files/Win_XP_Home_Network_Setup.pdf

Hang in there, it gets easier.

73 james
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:30:24 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »

Jerry,

Not sure exactly what you are doing. First, you MUST install NIC/network adaptor drivers too. You will need to down load them to another PC and place them on a CD or a ZIP stick of 2 gig or less (bigger ones needs drivers too with XP) On Outlook, if it was installed, if you re-install Outlook it will pickup old PST file. It will have to be re-installed.

Figure out yet why I told you to wait for new HD and start over? You could wind up doing this again soon. Do not give up on XP as with a fresh install on a new HD with good hardware is a still a solid machine for some tasks. Win7 is a new can of worms in other regards.

In case anyone is interested....
My Dell tower is up and running after over a week of hard labor working on it.
In one way or another, the postings here helped me.
The major hurdle was rampant ignorance on my part of the nitty-gritty workings of XP and Office.
Previously I had just enough passing interest to do whatever work I wanted to do.
This week was a tremendous learning experience; I learned a lot and learned that I have a lot more to learn.
Here's what happened....
Whatever caused the initial problem of the corrupted-file also may have affected Dell's built-in network-adapter.
I ended up buying a NIC; then I was able to get on the Internet. Smiley
A second problem was mis-information from Microsoft caused confusion; their website stated Outlook-Express came with XP.
It took awhile to sort out that Dell shipped it with Outlook.
And it took awhile to get Outlook configured the way it was before for two users; since Comcast was no help, I ended up figuring it out myself even though Microsoft's help-files were difficult to follow (I think they assume you've done the operation before and so know what the major terms mean). Sad
We intend to make periodic print-outs of our email-address-books just to have that resource available in hand in case of a computer catastrophe; we realized that was the one thing we missed the most when we went to use our laptop.
I still have not figured out a way to get our Google "Favorites" back in place.
Also, I'd like to make a system-backup someday to an external-drive (that I don't have as yet) but my XP does not seem to have a Backup program.
This past week was interesting but stressful.
Next step is to figure out a plan to replace the hard-drive.
73 Jerry km3k
N5EG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »

Hi Jerry -
The NTBACKUP.EXE file is not installed by default.  It is however on the Win XP distribution disk.
D:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup   where D: is the drive letter of your CD/DVD.

Doubleclick NTBACKUP.MSI to install it.

-- Tom, N5EG
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »

hi,

you can buy a very large external USB drive, 1TB
they come with automatic backup software that
you can customize.

Wait for the Black Friday or Cyber Monday
to get a great deal.

73 james