Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unreadable postings  (Read 8103 times)
K2MK

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:15:40 AM »

I find it close to impossible to make sense out of some of the postings. I like to contribute when I can but all too often the posting is close to unreadable. No punctuation, all lower case (or worse, all upper case), odd abbreviations, incredible spelling errors. Just a solid paragraph of jumbled letters. HELP
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:40 AM »

Is it writing style that you are complaining about or some technical issue?

Examples?

George
K5TR
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »

Good point George. I should have quoted an example. It's the writing style. I find it difficult to understand. Here's one I read today. This one's not too bad. I have seen examples that are FAR worse.

"just got this ant for free put it up 10ft over my roof the problem is high swr all bands.   so my ? is the best way to adj the swr im gessing now start with the driven element on 10 meters then 15 and 20 then the reflector folowed by the director. at present time all settings are factory spec. ant can be adj in place on its flat roof with a 8ft ladder tnx 73"

The writer also had a follow up:

"ka5n de kj6pdd  swr on 14.285 was 3.2 now 2.1  /  21.360 was 2.3 now2.1  /  28.450 was 2.5 now 1.9   ant aprox 18 ft off ground at present cant rase any higher at present any help will be welcom tnx 73"

Mike K2MK

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »

Good point George. I should have quoted an example. It's the writing style.

Ok.  Well, I can't really do anything to help with writing styles that are less than clear.
Maybe best to just skip over those and move on to postings that are more easily understood. 

George
K5TR
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »

Hi George,

There's nothing to fix. My posting is just a social commentary.

Mike K2MK
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »

I have to agree that the punctuation and spelling could have been a whole lot better, but I had no problem understanding the post. Maybe it's the way your brain is wired  Grin

Taken from http://www.eyetricks.com/wordjumble.htm

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »

One thing to be remembered too is that this site is on the WORLD wide web, and some of the users here do not use English as their primary language.  As an example of what I'm talking about, some of the foreign user manuals can be quite incomprehensible to us here in the US at times.

You've just got to grin and bear it--and try to read the posting as the writer intended to say it instead of how it actually reads.

On the other hand, people who do have English as their primary language and don't know how to use it--or don't care that they misspell, mispunctuate, and butcher the language ought to be hung!
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

As a member whose first and primary language IS NOT English, I have to agree that I will not respond to a posting, or worse, a seller's ad that cannot at least use spell checker.  Many times I read ads that are from hams with U.S. call signs that are atrocious.  Heck, our own president can't even pronounce the word nuclear. It's N-U-C-L-E-A-R, not nucular.

I would be embarrassed posting things like I have seen.

I rite engrish goodly, no?  Wink

Jaime-KA3NXN
KD0ACY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »

Just my thought!  ---  Correct spelling and punctuation, is the precious metal  in writing. With it you have wealth beyond words!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »

This is a hobby, not an English class! Lighten up and try to enjoy yourselves or you will die miserable in old age.  Wink
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »

Some of this is because of texting, and what texting has done to writing skills.

I notice many texting shortcuts used in the posts that were the topic.

What I generally do, if the person cannot take the time to punctuate or write in a way that is readable, is to just ignore it. eHam can't do anything to correct poor writing by posters.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »

Some of this is because of texting, and what texting has done to writing skills.

Some of it, yes. But IMHO not most of it.

What I see going on isn't limited to ham radio; it's all over the internet.

First, some folks really can't write all that well. This didn't used to be a big problem in the days before the internet. But in a world where we write all sorts of things, it stands out.

Some of the lack-of-skills involves things such as not knowing how to spell or punctuate, but those can be dealt with.

What's much harder to deal with is some folks' inability to tell a coherent story that includes all the relevant information. In some cases that's because they don't really understand the subject well enough to know what to ask.

IMHO the worst is the "don't care" attitude sometimes found. That's when someone can write well enough, but simply can't be bothered to.

73 de jim, N2EY 
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »

What's much harder to deal with is some folks' inability to tell a coherent story that includes all the relevant information. In some cases that's because they don't really understand the subject well enough to know what to ask.

Yes, exactly.

When you're asking a question, you are first and foremost telling a story about something that you've seen, or that's happened to you.  I can't count the times that I've seen a poster describe a situation and omit most of the pertinent details, then ask what to do about it.  If my first thought is, "About what?" I move on to the next post.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »

I have been on boards for a long time and have saw about every situation there is to see for posting.
...People expect to be told exactly what to do, where it is, how much it cost, every possible  way you can imagine.
...Some people cannot be helped. They do not understand what you are telling them because they have no background. They cannot translate advice into self help.
...They cannot even report accurately what they want help with.
...Some will come and say my friend told me this, my mechanic told me that and won't listen to your attempt to help them because they keep going back to what some one else told them.
...Also over the years, I see repeatedly, the differences in people in various parts of the country and there attitudes and knowledge due to the area they have grown up in.
...A person in Kentucky is far different than some one in Idaho.
...Someone in Washington state very different from  the New York City area etc.
...Some come with a chip, other get insulted very easy.
...So you have to be carefull how you answer a request for help due to the medium tending to be 'one dimension' for of expression.
...I have learned over time to 'read' the poster for the type of answer he will most likely accept and even then sometimes make a mistake.
...Then there are others who don't deserve an answer but told he has to improve the way info is presented in order to receive any help.
...Then some posts , I ignore for content.
...Last, you may get into a debate with some one else that offers grossly incorrect response to the issue or presents a challenge to what you are saying.
...I have experienced all out war on websites over ego driven  positions but have now refrained from doing that unless a direct challenge creates a 'worthwhile' need for a defense, then I can also crank up the heat.
...Overall I try to be a help, but it still sometimes does not work, so I just leave it alone.
...There is always someone that will tell you something is black when you say it's white for whatever reason, just to get a jab in I guess.
Good luck.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »

As a member whose first and primary language IS NOT English, I have to agree that I will not respond to a posting, or worse, a seller's ad that cannot at least use spell checker.  Many times I read ads that are from hams with U.S. call signs that are atrocious.  Heck, our own president can't even pronounce the word nuclear. It's N-U-C-L-E-A-R, not nucular.

I would be embarrassed posting things like I have seen.

I rite engrish goodly, no?  Wink

Jaime-KA3NXN

"Nuclear" is "Unclear" spelled sideways.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: