Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HB1B 4 Band CW transceiver $299  (Read 22046 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

Maybe you should look at reviews and price points.

Most reviews don't tell me anything worthwhile, because they're just personal opinions based on a single sample. QST reviews are better because they give lab numbers, but the 4 band HB1B hasn't been lab tested yet.

Price point is very close. A KX1 kit is $2, the 3080 expansion to 4 bands is another $90. So the HB1B wins on price.

But can the HB1B accomodate a built-in ATU ($120) or a bolt-on paddle ($70)?  What's the HB1B quality, overall? Documentation? Factory support? Parts availability?

73 de jim, N2EY
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

CW Transceivers Price points

Cost per band

FT 817D  $664* 13 Bands
Cost per Band $51

HB1B $299 4 Band
Cost per band $75

PFR3 $240 3 Bands
Cost per Band $80

KX1 $390 4 Band with 80/30 option
Cost per band $97

R4020 R4030 $249 2 Band
Cost per band $125

KX1 $299 2 Band without 80/30 option
Cost per band $150

MFJ 92XX $249 1 Band
Cost per Band $249

*$664 RandL price
All other prices are standard published prices and rounded off per band...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:49:14 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »

W4KYR, good analysis.  But what about the FT817 does CW and SSB and digital modes and FM?  And coveres some general receive (air, FM).  Also has built-in keyer, accessory jack, bunch of other stuff the other rigs don't have.  (Sorry, could not resist, as I am a biased and proud owner of the FT817ND)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »

W4KYR, good analysis.  But what about the FT817 does CW and SSB and digital modes and FM?  And coveres some general receive (air, FM).  Also has built-in keyer, accessory jack, bunch of other stuff the other rigs don't have.  (Sorry, could not resist, as I am a biased and proud owner of the FT817ND)
I hope they come out with a new version thats not a power hog.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »

But what about the FT817 does CW and SSB and digital modes and FM?  

But what about the price tag?  Roll Eyes

The FT-817 costs more than twice as much as as the
HB1B and is aimed at a different market.

You're comparing apples and oranges
I was in ham retail when the FT-817 was released. Were
QRP'ers flocking  to buy it? Not at our store.
It was the "Gee Wiz, lookee all them features and modes in
a tiny box" that  sold the rig....at that time.  Sorta like "An HT with
HF Syndrome.

Many QRP'ers operate are only interested
in operating HF CW only.
They don't want
or need VHF, digital, and they certainly don't want
a power gobbling rig in the field either.

Hey, I'm not "Anti FT-817" by any means.
It's a spiffy rig loaded with features....that I don't need.
Besides, I like to build my own QRP rigs.
(From kits. I don't have the chops to design
decent performing rigs rigs from scratch)  Grin

Ken AD6KA
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:22:07 PM by AD6KA » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »

Great points, Ken.  I've never been in Radio retail, that's interesting info on who the rig was marketed for and who actually bought it.  I guess I am comparing apples/oranges.

And now that I recall the purchase, it was as you said: when I saw the FT817, my thought was "wow, what a cool rig with so many things in it, and it's QRP.  Would be a great travel rig for vacations."  So I guess my draw to it was "hey, here's a way I can take my HF, VHF, and UHF stations on the road in a single package..and have some fun with QRP...see what I can do with it."  And that is a much different approach.

I realize now that there are different types of QRP operators.  I am not the emergency power type, nor am I the build-from-kit type.  I'm more of the "let's see what I can do with QRP" type.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »

I am going with a KX1 because it holds everything in one box... radio, tuner, power & paddle. Also, for out in the field it has a very low power draw which is nice. For now I am getting just 2 bands but eventually I'm sure I'll throw 30/80 in if I need it.

I built a K2 and had it for a few years. Frankly, it was too big & heavy for portable operation. I wound up selling it since it mostly just sat around. The KX1 for me seems like it will be a great portable rig. I want something small that will get me outside of the shack now and then Smiley
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »

That is a lot of money to pay for outdated technology. The most I would go for old school would be $50 and A single band sw40 would be my choice.

Robert KH2BR
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 08:39:03 AM »

I just want to clarify that I only put the FT 817 in the list purely for a reference point of a cost per band of a CW capable transceiver. Taking the FT 817 out of the equation, the HB1B is currently the clear winner for a CW only transceiver for a cost per band.

Also I only included transceivers that are available as new. It didn't make sense to include older radios that are not readily available, except ... maybe on E-Bay or a hamfest because not everyone would have the chance to buy that particular radio for a set price.

If one does look at older radios....such as the infamous HW7 , the selling cost of these are anywhere from $75 to $125 and the price per band cost could not be accurately be calculated for a average.

One could say that the HW7 at $75 would come out to $25 per band and that would be the lowest cost of any CW transceiver. (And that is IF you could buy it for $75 used without shipping costs and all the bands worked). Even at $125, it only comes out to about $42 per band.

If one takes in account the ATU option ($120) and the paddle option ($70) along with the 80/30 option for the KX1....it comes to $580 or $145 per band.  $580  is not that far removed from the RandL price of $664 for the FT 817.

I didn't include the ATU or paddle option in the cost per band on the KX1 in that listing as the other radios do not include the ATU and the paddle and wanted to keep it pretty much the same for comparisons. *(The PFR 3 does come with a BLT and is included with the price).

Someone could do a much better list than mine and include the power requirements into the equation of cost per band and expand it to the cost of power in ma. .

So while the HB1B is the least cost of any CW only transceiver (per band). Is it the lowest cost (in ma.) per band to operate it? A list like that would be very useful to QRP enthusiasts.

It would be safe to suspect that non digital CW only transceivers such as the MFJ Cub and others like it have the lowest cost per ma. in receive. Those rigs would not have a built in keyer however.

One last point, because the HB1B is the best in cost per band. Not enough is known for long term reliability since at this point because the HB1B is a new rig (although the You Kits HB1A Ten Tec R4020/R4030 have been out for awhile). Some might feel the KX1 is a better deal in the long run. Perhaps some are just waiting for the KX3 to be available and will pass up both the HB1B and KX1.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:54:13 AM by W4KYR » Logged

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »

At this time the HB1B has a bug, that the designer is work on,think he is adding changing some parts around or replacing them, to keep its power down when tuning.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:44:42 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »

Ten-Tec has taken over all US sales ,for the HB-iB QRP Radio.www.tentec.com
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

Yimin , the HB-1B designer, said all units, are ready for shipping, and the power/tune problem was solved.

www.youkits.com           www.tentec.com
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:08:54 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »

Since they are the same price..would it be better to buy from Ten Tec or youkits? Maybe Ten Tec because they are in the U.S. even though they might to ship it back to China for repair? Unless Ten Tec would repair them at their Tenn facility?

N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »

I see an HB1B in my shack sometime this Spring,
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »

Since they are the same price..would it be better to buy from Ten Tec or youkits? Maybe Ten Tec because they are in the U.S. even though they might to ship it back to China for repair? Unless Ten Tec would repair them at their Tenn facility?
Go to www.tentec.com and talk to them, they should have a one year warranty
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: