Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Status on FCC/Morse code testing?  (Read 480 times)
K7IHC

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2003, 05:04:27 PM »

Has there been any recent news on what the FCC is doing following the public comment period on the various Morse code testing proposals for amateur radio?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 07:03:36 PM »

ARRL hasn't filed their response yet, but intends to do so after the January 2004 Board meeting.  

No official statement of any kind has been offered as yet (by FCC).  I'll bet nothing will be until at least mid-2004.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 07:50:09 PM »

My guess is with the liberals crying that they want something for nothing the code exam will be eliminated next year.  For all you lazy people out there, you can just wait until the code exam is eliminated to get your welfare license.  I feel sorry for people who are on welfare because they are just plain lazy.  I also feel sorry for those who won't pass the code exam at a super easy 5wpm because they are so lazy.  Again, you will probably get your welfare, no-work required license someday.  
CODYCAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 04:30:50 AM »

Lazy!
I tell you who the real lazy people are!
People like you who don't know diddly about DSP!
If you you want to make Ham liscenses anno 2004 really worth something, then prepare your lazy ass to go back to school and get up to grade.
You'd probably prefer the Morse test being held in Latin!
Techniques from a previous century are valuable, however they are not the road to the future of radio. Period.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 08:48:09 AM »

DSP technology really shines when applied to Morse/CW communications.  The most advanced radios available today are the Ten-Tec Orion and the IC756Pro2, and their DSP filtering enhance CW by providing extremely narrow filtering without ringing.

Those making claims that Morse communications are obsolete simply don't know what they are talking about.  They haven't taken the time to learn it well enough (or at all) to exploit its advantages.  

DSP technology can be effectively employed by those without a real understanding of how it works-- and that's ok.  It is certainly fairer and more feasible to require Morse testing than to test people on the theory of DSP.  (I've had two graduate courses in DSP and designed DSP filters in the late 1970's, and I still have a lot to learn.)

73 de Chuck  NI0C
K4FAU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 06:04:11 PM »

To answer your question without throwing insults:

ANS: January 2007.  heres why

The FCC has collected all 7 petitions up and is beginning to analysis the results.

Contrary to public opinion – what ARRL does or does not recommends has little affect. The FCC knows that the ARRL decision will be based on profits for them and not the consensus of the ham populace it serves.

Sometime in September 2004 (since September is the month most of the inquires for FCC are released) a petition drafted by the FCC to the American public will go out. Their petition will basically be “a yes get rid of or no keep code” question.

Remember – their petition is only to sample what the American populace wants .. they can go back and analysis the petition results and send out yet another one the year after…

But lest concentrate on the first petition --

They send it out in Sept 2004 -- It will be open until Feb 2005 for comments - (5 months is the standard).

Then in Mar 2005 the FCC preliminary conjunction board will make a recommendation (yes or no to change the current ) and then the process begins -- if the board says keep the code then nothing is done ...if they say nullify or modify then it goes for legal review (that on average takes 4 months - so that takes you to July 2005)

Then in July 2005, once it leaves legal review will go through staffing from hell as we call it. The FCC will have to weigh the affects and desires of the lobby groups (ICOM, KENWOOD – actually all the ham radio manufactures wants the code to go away so Mr. Average Ham can buy a new radio $$$).. the desires of special interest groups such as ARRL and NCI  .. and finally the average operator.

On average after the staffing is completed (the staffing to create Technician No-Code took two years three months).. but say they cut that in half -- and decide to eliminate the code --

the earliest you are looking at -- if history serves us -- is January  2007.  

Now here’s the funny part – in the past three years 31 countries have relaxed their code requirements – or actually done away with them – and we believe that by September Canada and Mexico will drop theirs…

So these crusty old hams that don’t wont to bulge on the code removal for the Americans are only hurting Americans… meaning that pretty soon – America will be the only country that prevents their lesser class hams from being on the air – kind of ironic isn’t it…

of course when Canada or Mexico does away with the restrictions you will see allot of hams simply go across the border – take the test – get  foreign call sign – and come to the US and under the reciprocity agreement – be able to fully operate legally within the US – pretty ironic again…
K4FAU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 06:31:18 PM »

ARRL to Propose New Entry-Level License, Code-Free HF Access:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Licensing/1351
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: