Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Antenna and Lightning..  (Read 1052 times)
KD0PBO

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »

So I have a 5/8 2m mobile on my truck and today on my way home from school a storm was moving through the area. Lots of lightning. Being the nervous wreck I am, I was thinking what would happen if my ~4ft antenna would be struck by lightning!?

So what if?? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is it possible? Is it ridiculous to worry about it?  Shocked

Miles,
KD0PBO
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

Cars, trucks, planes do get hit. The body of the car protects you from the strike. I suppose a direct hit could take out your radios, but I'd be ok with that.. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUOdO6eEZA&sns=em

I seem to remember reading a post from someone here saying they had been struck a time. Or two? Maybe they will see this and speak up.

Dave

So I have a 5/8 2m mobile on my truck and today on my way home from school a storm was moving through the area. Lots of lightning. Being the nervous wreck I am, I was thinking what would happen if my ~4ft antenna would be struck by lightning!?

So what if?? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is it possible? Is it ridiculous to worry about it?  Shocked

Miles,
KD0PBO
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »

I have seen mobile antennas take direct strikes a few times.  This was on wildland fire trucks when we were high on mountain peaks.

Both times it resulted in complete failure of the radios.  But the vehicle kept running and the driver was unhurt.

Brad
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »

I've been struck three times. One of those destroyed the radio, even though the antenna was DC grounded. The last time was in 2007, on my way back from Dayton. The radio was on, listening to the weather. The radio continued to play, but the HF antenna's matching coil was damaged, and about 18 inches of the whip were gone! The hood turned blue for about 5 seconds, and the thunder clap was deafening! If I hadn't of had my seatbelt on, there would have been a dent in the roof! I've been lucky, however, as the tires were not damaged. Perhaps the trailing static drain did its job. I'll never know, as it disappeared too!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: