Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec 526 VHF/UHF SSB FM Radio?  (Read 8101 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »

Anyone used this radio, and has a commit on it, let us know?
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »

27 reviews here on eHam.....

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1543
WE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »

As a then VHF weak signal afficiando I had one and it was the best sounding radio I had heard on 6m and 2m. I took a lightning strike and was unable to buy another replacement as it was no longer manufactured. Many of us at the time had hoped that Ten-Tec would build a 220/440 just like it but alas they would not. If you have got a chance to get one go for it as you will not regret it.

I now have a Flex-3000 and a Flex-1500 and use transverters for VHF/UHF and will not leave the Flex line but I still remember before the Flex was available the Ten-Tec 6N2 526 was at that time far superior in audio and sensitivity for it's time far better than the Yeasu FT-736R.

Bob WE0Z
Kansas City
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »

I agree with Bob, Ten-Ten should be encouraged to bring a new 526 to the ham market.It should be all mode, and cover 6 m and up
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »

I have one since 2002.  it's my day to day workhorse on 6M and 2M.  I run with a 6 and 2M external amps of my design and about 180-200W.  But I've made a lot of contacts at 20W.  I also use it for
digital modes.

It's a good radio and I like it as it's all there in front and no menus. RX is good, better than spec,
TX never gets a bad report.  As I wrote a few years back I built a contest 6M radio to be
better than it and for SSB, I did do that but it wasn't easy and the result was a 6M SSB
only radio.

If you run CW the 526 is a great radio for QSK and the filters(it is a DSP radio!) do work well.

That said people either like it or hate it.  I've seen no in between on that.

I wish I'd gotten it's HF little brother the Argo-V as the two would have made a killer
pair.

You can find them used and they generally don't go cheap.

Allison
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:59:53 PM by KB1GMX » Logged
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:46:25 PM »

The 27 reviews on this site has it at 4.1 out of 5.

What capability would you want in a new Ten-Tec 526 . With no competition, they could an good profit.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »

2 Meters, 70 cm, 50 Watts per band, 23cm optional, tracking and reverse tracking (although with the right software, probably not an issue), and make it a bit more polished than a typical Ten-Tec rig.
I know I'll pi$$ off the Ten-Tec crowd here, but their radios have never impressed me with their "Look and Feel". Too "plasticky", cheap knobs, mediocre displays, etc.
Jim
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »

I think some would  want 6 m added, and others may want GPS?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:26:34 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »

The 27 reviews on this site has it at 4.1 out of 5.

What capability would you want in a new Ten-Tec 526 . With no competition, they could an good profit.

There would be lots of competition: From the Yaesu FT857D/897D, the Icom 7000 and 9100, and the Kenwood TS2000.  That is one of the things that killed the sales of the Ten Tec 526.  For what they were asking, you could get a Yaesu FT857D.  You got 5 times as much power on 6m, twice as much power on 2m, and lots of other bands, including 432.

73s John AA5JG John if ten-tec interred the VHF market with a improved 526, what price point would they need to show an protft?
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »

The like of interest in a American made VHF gear. " Well It's just odd ". Come on hams ,tell  American  manufactures what you want in a all mode 6m VHF & UHF Radio? NOTE: Its a good thing.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

What killed the 526 was not competition though that is a factor.  It was the parts procurement problem. If anyone here has actually put a design into production (I have) what you find is over time parts go unobtainium or worse obsolete.  This means you find substitutions or go back to redesign and even then you may be forced to make changes that challenge profitability.

*unobtainium: parts that are made but hard to buy in small lots (n less than 1,000 or greater).

For a radio that was in production for over 5 years that's not bad.  But come redesign time you often say can we do better on cost or features.  Big guys can commit to vendors for a 10k, 50K or larger production lot buy and draw on them.  The smaller guys cannot as that is sunk cost and
may still find the vendor will obsolete it and withdraw from production without a lifetime purchase commitment and that usually means the part will cost 10-15% more over time.

One comment:

I have a 526 and while the panel is spartan lacks a high end feel (some call it plasticky) it has proven durable and unlike a few radios that went into real stylistic shape and feel the 526 hold up over time and makes the point that the knobs do what they need to do. I have had other radios (and test gear) with the elastometric buttons that feel so good and work crappy after 10 years.
As to all the other radios mentioned I've found many of them very awkward to use as the menus are often in the way or the panel or display is too small and over compacted.  Also we found on field day that any radio from that list (Ftxxxx and TSxxxx) also had so much wide band noise as to knock other stations off the air (on other bands) during field day unless equipped with strong single band filters.

FYI at the time I bought mine the competition was FT817 (not the ND), FT100D and the IC706MK2G, and those are the fair competition at anywhere from $200 to 400 more.  How have they held  up over time and what features had to be purchased like CW filters?  The TS2000 does not compete as its a $2000+ radio and not at all small.  It's not that I do the TT Koolaid it's just lets compare apples to other apples and the 526 listed for $695.

With that the market has to speak up if manufacturers will have a clue as to what works or sells.
Just don't ask for an FT847 like radio for under $800.

Allison
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »

What killed the 526 was not competition though that is a factor.  It was the parts procurement problem. If anyone here has actually put a design into production (I have) what you find is over time parts go unobtainium or worse obsolete.  This means you find substitutions or go back to redesign and even then you may be forced to make changes that challenge profitability.

*unobtainium: parts that are made but hard to buy in small lots (n less than 1,000 or greater).

For a radio that was in production for over 5 years that's not bad.  But come redesign time you often say can we do better on cost or features.  Big guys can commit to vendors for a 10k, 50K or larger production lot buy and draw on them.  The smaller guys cannot as that is sunk cost and
may still find the vendor will obsolete it and withdraw from production without a lifetime purchase commitment and that usually means the part will cost 10-15% more over time.

One comment:

I have a 526 and while the panel is spartan lacks a high end feel (some call it plasticky) it has proven durable and unlike a few radios that went into real stylistic shape and feel the 526 hold up over time and makes the point that the knobs do what they need to do. I have had other radios (and test gear) with the elastometric buttons that feel so good and work crappy after 10 years.
As to all the other radios mentioned I've found many of them very awkward to use as the menus are often in the way or the panel or display is too small and over compacted.  Also we found on field day that any radio from that list (Ftxxxx and TSxxxx) also had so much wide band noise as to knock other stations off the air (on other bands) during field day unless equipped with strong single band filters.

FYI at the time I bought mine the competition was FT817 (not the ND), FT100D and the IC706MK2G, and those are the fair competition at anywhere from $200 to 400 more.  How have they held  up over time and what features had to be purchased like CW filters?  The TS2000 does not compete as its a $2000+ radio and not at all small.  It's not that I do the TT Koolaid it's just lets compare apples to other apples and the 526 listed for $695.

With that the market has to speak up if manufacturers will have a clue as to what works or sells.
Just don't ask for an FT847 like radio for under $800.

Allison
***What would you want in a new 526?
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »

It should be portable, name after one of ten-tec's birds of prey ,and come in the color of OD green like Military radios.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 12:19:06 PM »

***What would you want in a new 526?

VOX, indicator for attenuator if it were to be a new version of the 526.
Smaller as in shallower (less deep) as there is air space in there.
Better internal shielding, it hears it's own clock osc (a few birdies).

If it were to be the 527 (or whatever) then add 70cm plus the above.
and sell it for under 900$  Don't make it bigger.

Otherwise give me an Eagle with 2M added.

Allison
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »

What about adding some thing for emergency coms, would that make sent ?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: