Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it inappropriate to talk about --------- on UHF/VHF  (Read 5635 times)
N6ALP

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »

I'm relatively new, so pardon me if I'm stepping on anyone's toes. But, there is a local family, all licensed Ham's. The daughter apparently attends college in the same town and does not live at home. This family uses the Ham frequencies SEVERAL TIMES EVERY DAY to discuss things that are better discussed over the telephone / cellphone. Example, the father calls to see if the daughter is on the air. The daughter answers that she's just finished her homework and is on the way to the GYM. The father says to swing by the house afterwards because her mother is fixing something special for her for breakfast. The daughter wants to know if there is any sweet-potato pie left? Yes, then the father begins telling what the mother has prepared.

A little later in the day the daughter calls and wants to know if they are going to hold a yard sale at the house this coming weekend, then starts going over all of the items that she has and that she wants to place for sale. The father then asks the daughter to stop by the store and pick up this, this, and this, and he'll pay her later.

Look, I have son's and daughters ---- and even Grandsons and Granddaughters, but I would never think to carry on such conversations as these over a Ham frequency. AM I WRONG? As I said, THIS GOES ON EVERY DAY, SEVERAL TIMES A DAY.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »

Personally I wouldn't do that, not regularly if I didn't need to. (Full disclosure: I have a cell phone and minutes are not a concern)

But, assuming that they're not tying up a repeater that doesn't welcome them, I can see few better uses for local VHF non-emergency comms. Maybe the daughter saves her prime time cell minutes for her friends.

I was expecting something a little juicier in your post...

73, Geoff
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »

In my home town, 15 years ago, the repeaters were full of that sort of thing.  JMHO, but I don't see a problem with it if they don't mind having others know what they're talking about. 
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »

I don't see an issue with it if they aren't interfering w/ others.  We have a few family-chews on one of the local repeaters here but they never ever get in the way.  I don't listen to them, but it doesnt bother me.  If 2m was a way to get my teenager to talk to me (in full sentences) I'd be all over it haha.

KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

I was expecting something a little juicier in your post...

Same here   Grin Grin

I've heard those types of conversations.... the XYL giving a shopping list to her husband.  I was tempted to run his call sign and see if he would be passing by my house on his way.  I needed some stuff picked up!  Cheesy  Really, I don't care.  If it bothered me I would just spin the dial.

Eric
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »

Its a whole lot better that some of the stuff I've heard on 75M  Grin
N6ALP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »

Well, I guess I'll just have to hang my head in shame. I still think this type of conversation is more appropriate on a CB or cellphone. Again, it's several times every day, not just a simple "Honey, can you stop by the store on your way home"? However, I seem to be out voted here. Thanks for your input folks.

N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »

Well trust me I would be annoyed too, sounds like on air twittering, fair question at least.
Bob
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

Way back when, in the 1960's, I overheard a phone patch on 20m from a US Navy warship.

'Hi, Honey, I've great news for you. I'm pregnant'.

'That's great - hey, hang on. I've not been home for 10 months'

The conversation degenerated after that - but not really the stuff for an open call....
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »

I don't like to listen to that kind of silly chatter either, so your not alone.  I looked you up on QRZ and see that I live in the same valley as you.  I had to laugh, I locked out of my scan loop a couple of repeaters that had that kind of conversation on it all the time,  a long time ago.   I find most repeaters, not all, kind of boring.  Just find your corner of amateur radio and enjoy, no right or wrong.  For me, I like  FM simplex and 40 meter ragchews.  Cheers. 
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

Stop by the "Repeaters" forum & read the complaints about repeaters not being used at all....  I agree with Geoff - sounds like they're all using their radios regularly and would be ready to help in an emergency.

BTW, you never said that they're even on a repeater - are they just using simplex, and, if so, don't you have a tuning knob on your radio?  I agree with SWDUNCAN, I don't like to listen to someone else's mundane chatter, so I don't.  There's a whole lot of bandwidth out there, and I just find a piece of it to pursue what I enjoy, and leave the rest for others to do the same.

Just my thoughts (now donning my flame-retardant suit).

Ed - KD0BKH    Cheesy
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

Doesn't anyone think it is great to see an entire family enjoying the same hobby together?

Sam
W9KDX
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »

Relax..  you some times get  inane chatter from  someone  new to the air waves.   it wears off and they  stop talking , just to hear them selves talk..

it livens up the  repeater use and  as long as they  don't get all bent out of shape  if someone wants to get a quick call inbetween,  let them yak..

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »

If no one is on the repeater, then who cares. If they are tying up the repeater, then that is a different story.

Send them to our club repeater, which has been a morgue. I would welcome any traffic on it. It was so dead, that I sold my Icom 2800H because it would just be on all the time, and never get used.
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »

Around here, we have 6-7 repeaters that get used maybe 2-3 times a day. Some more than others, some never. As long as they don't tie up someone else's conversation, fine by me.

And yeah guys, I thought this would be more interesting. Grin

-Alex
KC2VDM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: