Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it inappropriate to talk about --------- on UHF/VHF  (Read 7647 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »

As long as it doesn't violate the FCC rules and common sense regs, why not?  Of course, that also means that those people who ARE using the machine for their comms don't mind everybody listening to that repeater knowing their business--but some people don't mind--not one bit!

Bottom line?  It keeps the repeater active, so if the repeater owner/trustee doesn't mind....  Go for it!
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »

I think the difference between VHF-FM QSOs and HF QSOs is that with VHF-FM, you expect it to work and be reasonably clear so it's not a big deal when someone answers the call. With HF, it's always a crap shoot. Sometimes you connect, others no. You can never tell, so when you do connect, it's more of a big deal (as these things go).

As far a broadcasting your personal life for all to see (hear), hasn't anyone heard of something called Facebook? Ham radio chit-chat is nothing compared to what people broadcast there. And, I'd bet there are a lot more people watching on Facebook than are listening in to a VHF QSO.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 07:14:59 AM »

I think the difference between VHF-FM QSOs and HF QSOs is that with VHF-FM, you expect it to work and be reasonably clear so it's not a big deal when someone answers the call. With HF, it's always a crap shoot. Sometimes you connect, others no. You can never tell, so when you do connect, it's more of a big deal (as these things go).

As far a broadcasting your personal life for all to see (hear), hasn't anyone heard of something called Facebook? Ham radio chit-chat is nothing compared to what people broadcast there. And, I'd bet there are a lot more people watching on Facebook than are listening in to a VHF QSO.
   Good point!  There are also a lot of hackers and other unscrupulous types who search internet websites trying to find information on potential targets and victims.  Usually, the less personal stuff one says the better.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »

I don't see any problem as long as:

1) it's not used for blatantly commercial purposes

2) they let others use the repeater when needed

3) they don't get too personal or start arguing on the air.

From what I read, the folks involved are following all the rules, so it's not a problem.

---

Some things to consider:

- In some places cell phone coverage isn't all that good but the repeaters are fine.

- Many states do not allow cell phone use while driving but allow ham operation

- In the days before cell phones were cheap and everywhere, we got a considerable number of new hams who wanted radio for family comms. They were a big source of growth in the 1980s and 1990s, and many of them went on to do a lot more with ham radio.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AC5S

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »

I'm glad to see people using the freqs for this type of communication.  Back in the day, we used the repeaters for all types of personal communications as well as long hours of rag chewing on political topics, social issues, and all kinds of stuff.  Some repeaters around the country today have nets concerning gun control, the need for a change in leadership the Presidency, the Constitution and many other issues.   Some of what you here to day may be considered "not politically correct", but who cares.  As long as you follow Part 97, go for it.  A good friend of mine used to check in with his wife to see if they need anything from the store.  I have heard people order pizza via the phone patch (gray area?)  I think it is great when families use Ham radio to communicate about family life.  Everyone knows someone may be listening.  Ham radio has never been just about "antenna height, power level and QTH".  Also as others have mentioned, the repeaters as well as huge sections of the bands, are never used for anything.  Here in Colorado we have a repeater on every mountain, and you can go days without ever hearing anyone on many systems.  Have fun and remember, this is a HOBBY!!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »

I'm glad to see people using the freqs for this type of communication.  Back in the day, we used the repeaters for all types of personal communications as well as long hours of rag chewing on political topics, social issues, and all kinds of stuff.  Some repeaters around the country today have nets concerning gun control, the need for a change in leadership the Presidency, the Constitution and many other issues.   Some of what you here to day may be considered "not politically correct", but who cares.  As long as you follow Part 97, go for it.  A good friend of mine used to check in with his wife to see if they need anything from the store.  I have heard people order pizza via the phone patch (gray area?)  I think it is great when families use Ham radio to communicate about family life.  Everyone knows someone may be listening.  Ham radio has never been just about "antenna height, power level and QTH".  Also as others have mentioned, the repeaters as well as huge sections of the bands, are never used for anything.  Here in Colorado we have a repeater on every mountain, and you can go days without ever hearing anyone on many systems.  Have fun and remember, this is a HOBBY!!
   Excellent points.  Even here in such a densely populated area like NYC and it's suburbs, most of the time you will find the repeaters to be fairly quiet.  Hell, I remember that even 11 Meters had way more conversations going on every day, back in the '60s and '70s!
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »

I guess people just can't bother get into a repeater conversation with someone they don't know.  There's something socially different about talking on a FM repeater versus SSB HF.

Exactly.  Throw your call sign out there and nothing... then 1 minute later "Joe" & "Bob" start talking to each other.  I'm tempted to sell my 2m setup and just stick with HF.

Eric
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »

I think this is perfectly fine.  There was a local couple in my area that I would hear every day.  The wife would update her husband on her daily commute home.  Nothing special, just "I am passing such and such" or "just a few minutes away".  I don't hear them anymore and I kind of miss it.  It was nice to hear during the daily drive.
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »

There used to be a couple of older fellows here local that would get on the air a couple or so times a day and chat. "Al" would normally be heading to his office or back home and "Henry" would be either at his house or down the road at the local Evil Empire. (WalMart) They were fun to listen to because it didn't even sound like they were listening to each other they just made random comments. (They had started talking daily on HF back in the 50's and ended up living in the same town and moved the conversations to the repeater.) After a while they would sign off till the next time. I always joked about them as being the "Al" & "Henry" show on the repeater. "Al" is now SK and "Henry" don't get on much any more. I can honestly say I miss hearing the "Al & Henry" show. "Names changed to protect the OM's"

73 de KB9TMP
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: