Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: meta issue: "Deep Impact" thread locked  (Read 14185 times)
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »

Sometimes I think that there would be many more instances of finding seconds and dueling at dawn with pistols if this was not a forum.

Yeah - I often wonder about this - would the forums be the same if they were all transacted in person?

I am guessing not.

At least not most of the time.

George
K5TR
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

I have never met any hams in person that act like the small gang of self-appointed eHam.net experts encountered on this site. All I have met are friendly encouraging and helpful, just like they should be. Maybe I have been lucky, but I don't think so. There may be bad hams out there, but they are hard to find, at least for me.  Grin

I believe the problems on eHam.net are the result of not treating everyone the same, in some cases. This gives encouragement to the techno-bullies to continue their bad behavior. On the plus side, I know of one who has stopped this compulsive activity on his own and I congratulate him for that. The others are still running amuck, even in the face of the site administrator, as we see on this string. Knowledge is valuable, but not when someone wants to continually force their unwanted views on others. If less than ten of these flamers then complainers had been told to knock it off or leave, we would not be having this discussion now.  Wink

I also think that the forums, overall, are a very valuable elmering tool for new hams and old salts alike. It allows for experimenters to trade notes on what has worked or not worked for them. It is a very good resource for the hobby!  )

Instead of shutting the forums down, why not just rein in the few that are creating the circle of narcissism and animositySmiley

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:01:35 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »

C'mon now....
Anyone that has followed Stan's courtship with SDR radios from the beggining will be able to understand the frustration he experienced from the pro-flex people whose radios "worked fine for me".
When taking any one post out of context, all bets are off.
The rest is all normal stuff.
And last but not least, if you do put 1 & 1 together,  you should correctly come up with 3, just like realizing who the person is that started this miserable thread by "innocently" asking "how come the Deep impact thread was locked?", "I thought there was no censhorship here".
In my view he added fuel (again) to the fire.
...and here we are again...

I'd like to see this thread locked too come to think of it.... Smiley

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »

A year ago or more when the confrontational posting problem was being discussed again on one of the site talk threads, I made a suggestion that would end 99% of the problems. They should create a one post per string rule or mechanism. That would end the ping pong arguments that are currently allowed. Under the current site improvements, a poster can add comments to his original posts, but it would be in one place for easier moderation. If anyone is interested in additional comments by a poster on a subject, they can look back to see if he or she has added anything to the discussion. If they are not interested, the poster would be easier to ignore! Grin  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:26:05 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »

A year ago or more when the confrontational posting problem was being discussed again on one of the site talk threads, I made a suggestion that would end 99% of the problems. They should create a one post per string rule or mechanism. That would end the ping pong arguments that are currently allowed. Under the current site improvements, a poster can add comments to his original posts, but it would be in one place for easier moderation. If anyone is interested in additional comments by a poster on a subject, they can look back to see if he or she has added anything to the discussion. If they are not interested, the poster would be easier to ignore! Grin  

Ha Ha, you want a "one post per string rule" but how many times have you posted already in this thread?

Gene
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:44:53 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:01 AM »

... just like realizing who the person is that started this miserable thread by "innocently" asking "how come the Deep impact thread was locked?", "I thought there was no censhorship here".
In my view he added fuel (again) to the fire.

I agree.  People like the originator of this thread and the guy that wants to make a "one post per thread rule" are just as guilty of fanning the flames as anyone else.  They say they don't want to argue but then they "innocently" inquire about why a argumentative thread was locked.  Give me a break!

Then you have "Flex Radio Faithful" guy who takes advertising announcements of a new Flex radio feature from the Flex Radio list and reposts them here on eHam, which pretty much amounts to SPAMMING these forums.  No one complains to the moderator about his SPAMMING, but goodness forbid you post an opposing view on that feature in the SPAM thread.  Then all the Flexies come out on the attack in the thread and make complaints to the moderator when they cannot argue with facts.  Obviously, sometimes enough complaining to get threads deleted or locked!

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:29 AM »

I'd like to see this thread locked too come to think of it.... Smiley

Oh, come on--this one hasn't devolved into a shouting match.....yet.   Grin
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »

George, I just pushed the ignore button on three posters and all of the confrontational comments and 75% of the postings disappeared from this string. What does that tell you?  Wink
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »

What does that tell you? 
You have thin skin?

Real techies don't use knobs.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »

George, I just pushed the ignore button on three posters and all of the confrontational comments and 75% of the postings disappeared from this string. What does that tell you?  Wink

Why do you keep sucking up to George?

Since most of your postings have disappeared, you now have no reason to hang around the forums. Bye Bye..  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

It could also show that the other posters consider him to be just as obnoxious to them as he seems to be.  The only time I see his rants and raves now is if someone else quotes them, since I also ignore him.  He does seem to be getting a good "anti-following".   Grin
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:03 AM »

The last three posts are exactly what I am talking about!  Roll Eyes
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: